Campbeltown Pontoons

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Campbeltown Pontoons

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Silkie wrote:You have to obtain a consent from (and pay rent to) the Crown Estate. They have the power to remove unauthorised moorings if you don't but the Scottish coast sprawls over many remote miles.

I doubt the owners would have any difficulty getting permission from the Crown Estate to put in several visitors moorings, which they would then charge £10 a night for.

I am moderately apalled by the attitude of people who don't see any reason why they should pay a pound to use a landing facility supplied, with water on tap. I am nearly as appalled by those so curmudgeonly as to make a point of staggering ashore over rocks and seaweed simply to avoid paying the pound.

You are pretty much anchoring in the Lodge's front garden in this situation, and I fel this makes you a visitor on their turf. The inhabitants want to enjoy a relaxed and peaceful relationships with yachting visitors and provide a variety of services (pontoon, water, showers, toilets, provisions and friendly chat) - but feel they are being a wee bit exploited at the moment. Being an idiot I can understand this.

I suggest most of the posters on this thread simply avoid Acarseid Mor. Kathy and I enjoyed our visit and felt it was £2 well spent.
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Nick wrote:
Silkie wrote:You have to obtain a consent from (and pay rent to) the Crown Estate. They have the power to remove unauthorised moorings if you don't but the Scottish coast sprawls over many remote miles.

I doubt the owners would have any difficulty getting permission from the Crown Estate to put in several visitors moorings, which they would then charge £10 a night for.

I am moderately apalled by the attitude of people who don't see any reason why they should pay a pound to use a landing facility supplied, with water on tap. I am nearly as appalled by those so curmudgeonly as to make a point of staggering ashore over rocks and seaweed simply to avoid paying the pound.

You are pretty much anchoring in the Lodge's front garden in this situation, and I fel this makes you a visitor on their turf. The inhabitants want to enjoy a relaxed and peaceful relationships with yachting visitors and provide a variety of services (pontoon, water, showers, toilets, provisions and friendly chat) - but feel they are being a wee bit exploited at the moment. Being an idiot I can understand this.

I suggest most of the posters on this thread simply avoid Acarseid Mor. Kathy and I enjoyed our visit and felt it was £2 well spent.

Emotive language misrepresenting people's views. A post well worthy of the lounge.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 am

Nick, I think you misunderstand. Nobody in here, but nobody, is justifying accepting a service and not paying for it. People should pay their way, end of, but the issue became "hot" because plenty of boats anchor in Acarseid Mhor without using any services - so why should they pay? The issue is the apparent threat to fill in an anchorage with moorings as a deliberate act of retaliation against people who haven't paid for services.

What posters object to is that those who don't use facilities should lose access to a perfectly good anchorage.

Nick, I think twice in this thread, I have cast doubt on whether the owner of Rona has been quoted correctly. Whether the quote is accurate or not is down to you, but, either way, you have set the hare running by quoting what may, or may not, have been a deliberate threat to an anchorage, or, perhaps, merely an ironic remark made in a private converstion. If the latter, it should not have been quoted imho. There has never been a problem raised about Rona in this forum, at least not until this thread and the alleged comments quoted by you.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 am

Shard wrote:Nick, I think twice in this thread, I have cast doubt on whether the owner of Rona has been quoted correctly. Whether the quote is accurate or not is down to you, but, either way, you have set the hare running by quoting what may, or may not, have been a deliberate threat to an anchorage, or, perhaps, merely an ironic remark made in a private converstion. If the latter, it should not have been quoted imho. There has never been a problem raised about Rona in this forum, at least not until this thread and the alleged comments quoted by you.

They seemed really nice to me. Not likely candidates to be despotic Eco blackmailers.

And Nick's post here suggests he's quite capable of completely misinterpreting things people say.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Mark wrote:
Shard wrote:Nick, I think twice in this thread, I have cast doubt on whether the owner of Rona has been quoted correctly. Whether the quote is accurate or not is down to you, but, either way, you have set the hare running by quoting what may, or may not, have been a deliberate threat to an anchorage, or, perhaps, merely an ironic remark made in a private converstion. If the latter, it should not have been quoted imho. There has never been a problem raised about Rona in this forum, at least not until this thread and the alleged comments quoted by you.

They seemed really nice to me. Not likely candidates to be despotic Eco blackmailers.

And Nick's post here suggests he's quite capable of completely misinterpreting things people say.

Wot? Our Nick being controversial & provocative in a post? Surely not?

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:32 am

Arghiro wrote:Wot? Our Nick being controversial & provocative in a post? Surely not?

Maybe one of the moderators should ban him for a bit :chalk: :lol:

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:
Arghiro wrote:Wot? Our Nick being controversial & provocative in a post? Surely not?

Maybe one of the moderators should ban him for a bit :chalk: :lol:

Yes . . . sadly tho' I have a spare set of keys . . . .
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

These media moguls..................

Postby Telo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:43 am

Booby Trapper wrote:Maybe one of the moderators should ban him for a bit :chalk: :lol:

Yeah. I was wondering if he has been hacking into our mobile phones.......

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Personally, I think this is an outrage.
I go onto a thread about Campbeltown and end up on Rona.

A long time ago, before the days of Dear Heart, I once ended up on Rhona. It was in Ambleside and was very pleasant.
However - this fond mammary does not reduce in any way my sense of outrage.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:04 pm

claymore wrote:Personally, I think this is an outrage.
I go onto a thread about Campbeltown and end up on Rona.

A long time ago, before the days of Dear Heart, I once ended up on Rhona. It was in Ambleside and was very pleasant.
However - this fond mammary does not reduce in any way my sense of outrage.

Does your dear heart know you once messed about with Rhona? was she comfortable to be on assuming you were in north to south position! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 pm

When I spoke to the manager on Rona (Bill?) a few seasons ago, he was moaning about the Crown Office questioning the existing mooring - which I think is linked to the anchor system for the pontoon and so 'protecting' a foul area-.
He inferred that they were against any moorings and indeed wanted to protect the existing anchorage.
Maybe that's changed lately though.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Nick wrote:I am moderately apalled by the attitude of people who don't see any reason why they should pay a pound to use a landing facility supplied, with water on tap. I am nearly as appalled by those so curmudgeonly as to make a point of staggering ashore over rocks and seaweed simply to avoid paying the pound.

I am equally unimpressed by those who install a few basic facilities and then consider themselves to have moral and legal rights to money from any passing yachtsmen, whether they need, want or use what's provided.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:56 pm

ubergeekian wrote:
Nick wrote:I am moderately apalled by the attitude of people who don't see any reason why they should pay a pound to use a landing facility supplied, with water on tap. I am nearly as appalled by those so curmudgeonly as to make a point of staggering ashore over rocks and seaweed simply to avoid paying the pound.

I am equally unimpressed by those who install a few basic facilities and then consider themselves to have moral and legal rights to money from any passing yachtsmen, whether they need, want or use what's provided.

To be fair, you're probably quite safe if you are passing, it's only those that stop who may be at risk. :tiphat:

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:15 am

Arghiro wrote:
ubergeekian wrote:

To be fair, you're probably quite safe if you are passing, it's only those that stop who may be at risk. :tiphat:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. They seem to want their quid from those who walk straight past the water tap.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 pm

ubergeekian wrote:I wouldn't be too sure about that. They seem to want their quid from those who walk straight past the water tap.

If you walk past the water tap then you have come ashore via the pontoon and therefore owe £1. Of course, if you can't afford it then you are free to scramble up the seaweed-covered rocks to save a pound.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Passages and Places”