Campbeltown Pontoons

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Campbeltown Pontoons

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:13 am

Be warned there is a notice board at the end of the pontoon where they name and shame boats who have departed without paying.
The notice states "the following boats seem to have forgotten to pay ........................."
There is quite a list.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Campbeltown Pontoons

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Good.

I am sick of being embarrassed everywhere I go by stories of yachties who don't pay.

Rona (Acarseid Mor) charges £1 a head harbour fees now - they have done a lot, there is a floating pontoon to land at and water, and when there were 15 yachts in last weekend the total take in the 'honesty' box was £1 . One of the yachties in question was the lady commodore of a well know West Coast yacht club. The owner is so fed up that he is thinking of filling the anchorage with moorings at £10 a night and collecting.

Kilchoan have dropped the number of visitor moorings from 4 to 2 because no-one pays and they can't afford the servicing and insurance.

If you are not prepared to pay for a facility then you shouldn't use it. Mr. Toast may have overdone it a bit on the Coll thread, but some of his points were valid. This website is also going to be running a 'name and shame' campaign, and any moorings operators with a just greivance are requested to get in touch.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 am

Nick wrote:.
Good.

I am sick of being embarrassed everywhere I go by stories of yachties who don't pay.

Rona (Acarseid Mor) charges £1 a head harbour fees now - they have done a lot, there is a floating pontoon to land at and water, and when there were 15 yachts in last weekend the total take in the 'honesty' box was £1 . One of the yachties in question was the lady commodore of a well know West Coast yacht club. The owner is so fed up that he is thinking of filling the anchorage with moorings at £10 a night and collecting.

Hang on a minute, we've anchored at Acarseid Mor, and didn't pay. Why the hell should we? It's an anchorage. I'm all for people paying for 'facilities', but we didn't feel under any obligation to use them, which we didn't, so what business is that of the owna of Rona? I take great exception to the owner's comment about filling the place with moorings. I hope the person has not been misquoted.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Be warned there is a notice board at the end of the pontoon where they name and shame boats who have departed without paying.
The notice states "the following boats seem to have forgotten to pay ........................."
There is quite a list.

Have they reached the letter H yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Shard wrote:Hang on a minute, we've anchored at Acarseid Mor, and didn't pay. Why the hell should we? It's an anchorage.

+1.

What possible right do they have to charge? Can I charge 50p for every yacht that sails past Rona?

Louise and I really liked the couple and without the rope they put in we'd have never found the cave. We were very grateful and if they're put an honesty pot on the shore asking for donations we might have put something in it. But a compulsory charge for anchoring! I wouldn't pay on principle.

I sincerely hope they never fill the anchorage with moorings. That sounds a bit like blackmail to me. In fact it's not "a bit like" Blackmail, it *is* blackmail. Effectively they're saying "pay us money we have no right to or we'll ruin a beauty spot".

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:30 pm

But they're not charging for anchoring, but for use of the pontoon, which is fair enough. Some places charge a fiver to use a landing pontoon. For a quid, it's just not worth arguing about. They're not exactly going to get rich quickly. Last time I was there, I used the pontoon and I would have felt more comfortable doing so if I had paid a pound.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:
Booby Trapper wrote:Be warned there is a notice board at the end of the pontoon where they name and shame boats who have departed without paying.
There is quite a list.

Have they reached the letter H yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No you have heard about it before now :lol:
Must have been no-one on duty that night bigparty;

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 pm

sam wrote:But they're not charging for anchoring, but for use of the pontoon

Ok, fair enough then. A quid to use a pontoon they're installed seems fair enough. There are other places to land. Mind you there was already a permanant mooring when we were there. A landing pontoon as well. It's no longer sounding like my kind of place. :-(

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:01 am

sam wrote:But they're not charging for anchoring, but for use of the pontoon, which is fair enough. Some places charge a fiver to use a landing pontoon. For a quid, it's just not worth arguing about. They're not exactly going to get rich quickly. Last time I was there, I used the pontoon and I would have felt more comfortable doing so if I had paid a pound.

Perhaps so, but I rather resent the suggestion in Nick's post that the "owner is so fed up that he is thinking of filling the anchorage with moorings", ie effectively finishing it off as an anchorage (out of spite/vengeance?). Why should I lose the right to anchor there because other people have been using someone's pontoon?

Of course, it could be that Nick has got the whole thing completely garbled.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41 am

Idiot
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 am

Shard wrote:
sam wrote:But they're not charging for anchoring, but for use of the pontoon, which is fair enough. Some places charge a fiver to use a landing pontoon. For a quid, it's just not worth arguing about. They're not exactly going to get rich quickly. Last time I was there, I used the pontoon and I would have felt more comfortable doing so if I had paid a pound.

Perhaps so, but I rather resent the suggestion in Nick's post that the "owner is so fed up that he is thinking of filling the anchorage with moorings", ie effectively finishing it off as an anchorage (out of spite/vengeance?). Why should I lose the right to anchor there because other people have been using someone's pontoon?

Of course, it could be that Nick has got the whole thing completely garbled.

Yes, agreed, we don't want to be losing anymore anchorages to moorings, especially one like Acarseid Mor. Hopefully it was just an empty threat.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Can anyone put moorings anywhere? Is there no authority that govern it?

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 pm

You have to obtain a consent from (and pay rent to) the Crown Estate. They have the power to remove unauthorised moorings if you don't but the Scottish coast sprawls over many remote miles.
different colours made of tears

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Silkie wrote:You have to obtain a consent from (and pay rent to) the Crown Estate. They have the power to remove unauthorised moorings if you don't but the Scottish coast sprawls over many remote miles.

Good. I doubt Princess Anne will want Acarisaid Mhor ruined. :-)

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:29 am

Silkie wrote:You have to obtain a consent from (and pay rent to) the Crown Estate. They have the power to remove unauthorised moorings if you don't but the Scottish coast sprawls over many remote miles.

Almost. Before you get to pay money to the Crown Estate you have to get consent from the Scottish Government, under the Marine (Scotland) Act 2010, which involves a fee, and as part of the process you also have to pay through the nose to insert a Public Notice in, for example, the Oban Times soliciting objections from interested parties.

Return to “Passages and Places”