Places to visit returning from Oban

Tell us where you've been, trade information
JimC
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Hunter Channel 31

Places to visit returning from Oban

Postby JimC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm

A few weeks ago we sailed up from our home port of Glasson Dock via Whitehaven, Isle of Whithorn, Portpatrick, Troon, Rothesay, Kyles of Bute, East Loch Tarbert and the Crinan canal. We've left the boat at Oban and will soon be returning to her to complete our cruise by returning home outside the Mull of Kintyre. We'd be glad to hear any suggestions for nice places to stop en-route. We are sailing a twin-keeler so can dry out. It would be nice to be within reach of a good pint of bitter - something that seems hard to find up here.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Places to visit returning from Oban

Postby Telo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm

If tides are against you for the Sound of Luing, then Puilladobhrain is worth a visit - the Tigh an Truish pub is just over the hill, as are some of its habituees; good guest ales and food available. May be worth calling in at Craighouse on Jura for a free distillery tour (voluntary gratuity for the guide); also reasonable pub with decent food. Bitter isn't really taken very much up here. Light (which is dark), heavy and export, 60, 70, or 80/- are popular, but many pubs do carry guest real ales.

Rathlin can be worth a visit if tides permit.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:11 pm

JimC wrote:A few weeks ago we sailed up from our home port of Glasson Dock via Whitehaven, Isle of Whithorn, Portpatrick, Troon, Rothesay, Kyles of Bute, East Loch Tarbert and the Crinan canal. We've left the boat at Oban and will soon be returning to her to complete our cruise by returning home outside the Mull of Kintyre. We'd be glad to hear any suggestions for nice places to stop en-route. We are sailing a twin-keeler so can dry out. It would be nice to be within reach of a good pint of bitter - something that seems hard to find up here.

Kirkcudbright or Kippford?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

JimC
Able Seaman

Postby JimC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:16 pm

I've been into Puilladobhrain, very snug and pretty but a bit crowded when I was there and not much swinging room. I was hoping there might be some nice anchorages among Luing, Scarba, Colonsay, Jura, Islay etc. I visited Gigha on a previous cruise.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:24 pm

JimC wrote: I was hoping there might be some nice anchorages among Luing, Scarba, Colonsay, Jura, Islay etc.

There are lots of really good anchorages in the area, and wind direction and sea state will be the deciding factors for choice. Offhand, can't think of too many close to pubs, which is what I believe you are looking for; there's Scalasaig, not terrific, but there is a pub there, mildly notorious for windae jumping. Port Ellen perhaps.
Carsaig Bay (not the Mull Carsaig) is within striking distance of Tayvallich.

Afrita
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby Afrita » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Both the Lord of the Isles at Craobh and the Galley of Lorn at Ardfern offer good real ales. Neither is great for anchoring particularly nearby however, but if you can put up with a walk or paying to park... As you note, decent hand pulled pints are a rarity in the west.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 pm

I wouldent recommend the Scalasaig hotel, not customer friendly and not a great pint.
They take your glasses from your hand at 2300 sharp, wether your are a resident or just in for a drink.
We wouldent go back.
Sanda might be open by then.
Enjoy the rest of your cruise.
C_W

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:23 am

Eilean Mor - McCormic Is.
or
Gigha
Red Bay/Glenarm
Portaferry
Port St Mary
Piel
Glasson.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I wouldent recommend the Scalasaig hotel, not customer friendly and not a great pint

So, no change there then?

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Afrita wrote:Both the Lord of the Isles at Craobh and the Galley of Lorn at Ardfern offer good real ales. Neither is great for anchoring particularly nearby however, but if you can put up with a walk or paying to park... As you note, decent hand pulled pints are a rarity in the west.

The Lord of the Isles currently gets a barrel of the excellent Piper's Gold, or occasionally Avalanche (both Argyll Brewery) most weekends, but if there's a crowd in it may be finished by Sunday night.

JimC
Able Seaman

Postby JimC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll visit as many of them as I can.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I wouldent recommend the Scalasaig hotel, not customer friendly and not a great pint.
They take your glasses from your hand at 2300 sharp, wether your are a resident or just in for a drink.
We wouldent go back.
C_W

The reputation of yachties was irrevocably tarnished during an early Chentlemans' Cruise. See Jimi for more details.
- Nick 8)

JimC
Able Seaman

Postby JimC » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 pm

We're now back home in sunny Glasson (it seems so after Scotland!). En route we visited Puilladobhrain, Craobh, Ardfern, Craighouse, Port Ellen, Campbeltown, Portpatrick, Whithorn, Little Ross, Whitehaven & Piel Island. We've saved Claymore's N. Irish suggestions for another time. We passed through the Easdale and Cuan sounds and were particularly taken with the area around Luing, Shuna & Scarba. The beer situation seems to be improving - we found real ale at most places visited. The best to my taste were the Jarl at the Tigh an Truish and the Avalanche at the Ardsheil Hotel in Campbeltown.

West Scotland is beautiful and I know we've only scratched its surface. The bugbear for us the distance to get there: across Morecambe Bay then the endless drag up the Cumberland coast then the Solway to cross and one or two Mulls to negotiate. Most of the holiday is spent in transit and a spell of bad weather stops you dead in your tracks. Another year we might consider looking for somewhere to base the boat up there for the whole summer.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Nick wrote:
Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I wouldent recommend the Scalasaig hotel, not customer friendly and not a great pint.
We wouldent go back.
C_W

The reputation of yachties was irrevocably tarnished during an early Chentlemans' Cruise. See Jimi for more details.

Missing what you mean Nick, Jimi who, for what details?
C_W

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Ok
Wee Jamesie was badly affected when beer and medication met
There were behavioural issues concerning a barman from Wigan and public servant from north east Scotland
Claymore was relieved of his darts in the interest of health and safety. This was particularly galling as I had begun to hit the board with the odd one - Matt is much bigger than me as is that worthless tuareg LJS and Para proved no friend either

The altercation was no contest and the barman was subsequently disowned by his native town as it is considered to be dishonourable to get into altercations with women.
The fact that she decked him probably had some bearing on it.
Jamesie started it all though
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Passages and Places”