Crossapol Bay, Coll how to appproach?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Crossapol Bay, Coll how to appproach?

Postby pagoda » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:23 pm

I've read of people occasionally stopping in this stunning bay in settled weather (and found an anchor spot's co-ordinates). There are heaps of rocks around the margins of the bay, but it looks like you could approach carefully more or less on due North from a good distance out about 2 cables west of Eilean Tumala, provided the water was fairly flat and clear and somebody on the bow.... It would be better with a little bit of north in the wind as well.
Has anybody been in here for a lunch stop - or longer?
I hope to go past Coll at some point in the next 6 weeks or so,

Graeme

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Crossapol Bay, Coll how to appproach?

Postby Telo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:42 pm

We've anchored a couple of times at Loch Breachacha which probably has better shelter and less swell, but never, I'm afraid, at Crossapoll. From memory, the anchoring area is supposed to be around the 5m contour line and should be rock free in the middle of the bay.

There are a couple of rocks awash in the approach to the bay. I'm not aware of any leading line so I think I might be inclined to head for Eilean Tomulam on 30 degrees True. At low tide, I'd guess most of the hazards would be visible, so an approach in the west side of the bay may be straightforward.

In calm conditions, or a light easterly, Feall Bay on the west side might be OK. We've anchored overnight there in very settled weather, but it would be prone to swell in most conditions.

The island has had a chequered history. My great grandfather was born at Grisapol (Grishapoll/Griseabull) in the 1850s around the end of the potato famine. Like so many others at that time, his family left both the island and farming, for Mull and the boatbuilding trade, and then to Govan and the shipyards. Many other Collachs ended up in Australia. The farms in the fertile south end of the island were later re-let to farmers from Ayrshire.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:47 pm

There has been a recent UKHO survey (by HMS Gleaner) of Crossapol Bay which I remember doing the NMs for so I assume they are on the latest issue of the charts.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:14 am

Like the rest of Coll, it is a beautiful spot, however - it is probably advisable to anchor - I think there are some issues with moorings around Coll :wink:

Shard wrote:-
The island has had a chequered history. My great grandfather was born at Grisapol (Grishapoll/Griseabull) in the 1850s around the end of the potato famine. Like so many others at that time, his family left both the island and farming, for Mull and the boatbuilding trade, and then to Govan and the shipyards. Many other Collachs ended up in Australia. The farms in the fertile south end of the island were later re-let to farmers from Ayrshire.

Whilst obviously indebted to the long-eared one for that succinct and engaging piece of social history, I find it very difficult to get the numbers to stack up, knowing Shard's age. I think this was obviously a mistake and should have read 1750's - but then, he's right about the spud famine - or were there 2? Perhaps the Shards are just early starters on the breeding front - apart from himself who just happened to snatch a child bride.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Passages and Places”