Looking for an improvement in the weather....

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Looking for an improvement in the weather....

Postby Telo » Mon May 30, 2011 11:44 am

... although not much wind come Thursday, which rather precludes a longer excursion.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Looking for an improvement in the weather....

Postby claymore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:25 am

Me too
desperately trying to get the painting finished and the chimney stack repointed before the scaffolding comes down on Friday......
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Re: Looking for an improvement in the weather....

Postby Booby Trapper » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Well it did arrive, Fri 25 degrees in Glasgow so down to the boat Fri night with my 14 year old and his 2 friends for what I thought would be a leisurely sail over to Brodick and back on Sat Afternoon. WRONG!
Motored out of Clyde Marina about 7pm Thought I would be motoring all the way but just past Horse Island a WNW kicked in and within 30 mins we had a few rolls in the genny. About an hour later with the wind veering and getting up we had a reef in the main. About a mile out from Brodick Bay the wind died. And we motored in and picked up a mooring. Sitting on the mooring was very uncomfortable with a horrible Northerly swell. By about 1130hrs one of my son's friends succumbed to seasickness and the other looking like it wasn't far off I decided to head round to lamlash for a bit of shelter. As we headed back out it was now blowing a good 20 knts from the North. This helped with the motor round to Lamlash. It was agood decision and we had a quiet calm night in Lamlash Bay.
Sat Morn wind was round to the NE, Right on the nose for the trip back to Ardrossan. With the swell building in the bay and the 2 boys feeling unwell again the decision was made for the boys to get the bus to Brodick and ferry back to Ardrossan. I sailed back on my own. 4hrs upwind :cry: :cry: with a reef in the main and a few rolls in the genny again. Very strong and gusty by the time I reached Ardrossan.

I was lulled into a false sense of security by the good weather on Fri but I must say the CG forecast we received on the way over was spot on.
Just had a look at the forecast for the following week.....max temps 14 dgrees, great :( :(

Return to “Passages and Places”