Sanda

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Sanda

Postby Telo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Shard wrote:I hope the purpose of the moorings is not to discourage anchoring.

I'm all for giving the new owners a chance, but Pagoda's post in YBW (Clyde Wanderer's thread) is not encouraging; it does seem that the moorings have been laid in the Sanda anchoring area.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:55 pm

Shard wrote:
Shard wrote:I hope the purpose of the moorings is not to discourage anchoring.

I'm all for giving the new owners a chance, but Pagoda's post in YBW (Clyde Wanderer's thread) is not encouraging; it does seem that the moorings have been laid in the Sanda anchoring area.

I don't think it will prevent anchoring, but the moorings are in the most "tucked in" place- with a bit of shelter from the headland above the pier. So long as there is more south than west in the weather - it will perhaps matter less than I thought initially. I do find it annoying that they haven't grasped the concept of free mooring if you're ashore eating?

Graeme

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:59 am

I went and had a look last Saturday. There are now 4 moorings but plenty of space to anchor.

There was a somewhat unwelcoming notice ...
.... but we went ashore anyway. The only person visible when we anchored was nowhere to be seen. The Byron Danton was definitely closed and was stacked inside with new mattresses, tables, chairs and gave the impression of impending something.

A new house was being constructed up the valley to the south of the lighthouse road.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:08 am

Stopped in on the way past on Tues night, someone did look out of the window as we rowed ashore but we weren't approached as we looked in the pub windows.
It was definitely shut! The sign was most unwelcoming. If there is work going on they could do with some information in the window. I don't think I will be stopping again unless it is for shelter or waiting on favourable tides around the Mull.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:33 pm

I have to say I don't like the tone of the new website at all http://www.sandaislanddreams.com/

I suggest that someone writes them a nice letter or email explaining Scottish access laws and the tradition of hospitality to yachtsmen. If that doesn't receive a satisfactory response then the next step could be a 'mass trespass' . I do think it is important to stop this sh1te happening in Scotland.
- Nick 8)

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:25 pm

You're right "No pier access before July? or after Sept?" but it doesn't stop you anchoring & landing on the foreshore does it? It would seem that Yotties are not welcome customers.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Glad we bypassed Sanda and went straight to Glenarm on the 18th otherwise we would not have got a pint, or should that have been a gallon , and a lockin until 3am in Glenarm.
I have emailed the owners for their side of the story.
C_W

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Nick wrote:.
I have to say I don't like the tone of the new website at all http://www.sandaislanddreams.com/

I suggest that someone writes them a nice letter or email explaining Scottish access laws and the tradition of hospitality to yachtsmen. If that doesn't receive a satisfactory response then the next step could be a 'mass trespass' . I do think it is important to stop this sh1te happening in Scotland.

The new owners obviously have their idea of what they want Sanda to be but I would rather believe ignorance rather than malice is driving their attitude - that is until proved otherwise. On their website they have a survey http://www.sandaislanddreams.com/Survey.html so why not fill it in politely and tell them what your expectations are?

Booby Trapper and Marisca went ashore with the full knowledge of someone on the island, used the slip, wandered about and were not challenged. I am not convinced a notice and a website created by someone who's first language is not english is enough to start an invasion.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:50 pm

marisca wrote:I am not convinced a notice and a website created by someone who's first language is not english is enough to start an invasion.

Hmm.

"Such a beautiful spot in the World, with a intact Wildlife, partly rare bird species, seals, dolphins and sheep, with a stunning view to Mull of Kintyre, Northern Ireland, Ailsa Craig and Isle of Arran, should be kept gently and with respect.

Dear Guests, that's why we have decided to provide a limited instead of mass access to Sanda Island and hope you will enjoy the treasures here without missing comfort and luxury.

We wish you a pleasent and unforgetable stay on Sanda Island!

With a warm welcome,

Michi Meier & Berna Civeleker"

They may be in for a bit of a shock. I'm all for respecting reasonable privacy, but statements like the above, in pursuit of their commercial interests, really don't hit the sympathy spot. In fact it makes Keith Schellenberg look positively benign.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:51 pm

marisca wrote:I am not convinced a notice and a website created by someone who's first language is not english is enough to start an invasion.

Hmm.

"Such a beautiful spot in the World, with a intact Wildlife, partly rare bird species, seals, dolphins and sheep, with a stunning view to Mull of Kintyre, Northern Ireland, Ailsa Craig and Isle of Arran, should be kept gently and with respect.

Dear Guests, that's why we have decided to provide a limited instead of mass access to Sanda Island and hope you will enjoy the treasures here without missing comfort and luxury.

With a warm welcome,

They may be in for a bit of a shock. I'm all for respecting reasonable privacy, but statements like the above, in pursuit of their commercial interests, really don't hit the sympathy spot. In fact they make Keith Schellenberg look positively benign.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Shard wrote:

Hmm.

With a warm welcome,

They may be in for a bit of a shock. I'm all for respecting reasonable privacy, but statements like the above, in pursuit of their commercial interests, really don't hit the sympathy spot. In fact they make Keith Schellenberg look positively benign.

I am inclined to agree fully with you on this Donald.
A buisness man does not pay 3.5 million odds on an island without expecting to make as much money as he can from it, even if it includes preventing non paying visitors from going ashore.
As I say I have emailed and asked for their version of the facts, although they have not replied yet, maybe they need time to translate the Right to roam law.
Watch out they will probably try to get the place declared a protected bird sanctuary or similar designation to prevent free roaming.
I say we storm the place!
C_W

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:52 am

I suggest that they not be judged before they commit a crime.
As far as I can see, their only error so far is that their website uses clumsy language to express their desires. I can't recall any "mass access" to Sanda in the past so I suspect that once they review actual vs projected revenue, they'll welcome anyone who wants to spend.
Curious why they would not want the pier to be used through the summer.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm

marisca wrote:
Nick wrote:.

The new owners obviously have their idea of what they want Sanda to be but I would rather believe ignorance rather than malice is driving their attitude - that is until proved otherwise. On their website they have a survey http://www.sandaislanddreams.com/Survey.html so why not fill it in politely and tell them what your expectations are?

Booby Trapper and Marisca went ashore with the full knowledge of someone on the island, used the slip, wandered about and were not challenged. I am not convinced a notice and a website created by someone who's first language is not english is enough to start an invasion.

Well, I've filled up their survey and left the following in the "comments" box:

I have twice visited Sanda under its previous owner and have enjoyed the food and drink at the pub. Is it intended to continue providing this hospitality to passing yachtsmen?

Your website and the notice erected at the jetty imply that landing is restricted to certain times of year and only for those staying on Sanda. This would seem to be not in accordance with Scotland's Access Legislation. Could you please comment on this?

I'll report back if and when they reply.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Re: Sanda and Email reply

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:07 pm

The reply to my email asking what the situation regarding shore access and anchoring and making the owners aware of our rights.
C_W

Thanks for your message.

We are very busy at the moment with the Restaurant and the sitting area for it and sorry not have been able to answer sooner.

Recently we have increased our existing 1 mooring up to 4 moorings to provide visitors/sailors a better and more secure option to stay in the Sanda Bay.
We paid the building costs for the moorings and we do have to pay a yearly fee to the Crown Estate for having them.

Further we decided to re-open the Restaurant because of a great demand to give the visitors a possibility to eat and drink on their way to their next stop. But we also have refurbished the accommodations with a big effort to provide an excellent stay for others, who like to stay a bit longer and get a superb service.

We were struggling against the weather capriols during the last months which caused enormous delays and additional costs.

The reasons why we don't allow pier access until the opening of the Restaurant are;
1. For your safety, as long the works are going on.
2. The pier and the buildings are on private property and we as owners can decide about access.

But of course you can anytime come ashore out of private property and enjoy Sanda Island. In this case, rubbish has to be removed and the wildlife has to be respected all the time, especially the breeding birds on some part of the beaches.

The £ 10.- mooring fee doesn't cover our expenses at all as you may guess.
But for the caused opening delay, we offer you a non-alcoholic drink with a home made cake or sandwich on your next visit, just show this email with your ID to the staff.

We hope, you understand and wish you a beautiful summer saison!

Kind regards,
Berna Civeleker & Michael Meier
Sanda Island

Return to “Passages and Places”