Sanda

Tell us where you've been, trade information
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Sanda

Postby marisca » Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 am

Prompted by the "pub" thread on TOP I dropped an email to Sanda enquiring about their welcoming of yachts stopping for a pint or 2 rather than booking a suite and got the following
Dear Sir

Yes, upon availability, you can use one of the 4 available moorings.
It costs 10.- GBP from 1 minute to 24 hours and has to be paid to our Austrian Chef Mr. Zeitelhofer.

You are welcome to visit our fully licensed premises from
7th June until 1st September 2011 this summer!

We do not allow any pier access before or after this dates.

Thanks to respecting this and kind regards,
Berna & Michi, the owner

So whether it is back to business as usual we shall see.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Sanda

Postby Telo » Mon May 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Can't say I was looking too hard, but when we were there at Easter I only spotted the old mooring in the middle of the anchorage. Perhaps they've been laid since.

There was also a very uninviting sign on the land saying something like "Island closed except for residences".

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Shard wrote:There was also a very uninviting sign on the land saying something like "Island closed except for residences".

Time to make the owners aware of Scottish access rights perhaps?
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Nick wrote:Time to make the owners aware of Scottish access rights perhaps?

Shouldn't we wait until the new owners have a chance to show what their attitudes to sailors and other visitors are? So far they appear to be welcoming (between June and September anyway), claim to have laid 4 moorings and, most importantly, have a full license. It is possible they are thinking of trip boats rather than Avon Redshanks when they are limiting access to the "pier" (I remember it as a slip so maybe they have something else in mind).
Perhaps if any yachts visiting could report back on the welcome they receive ....?

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 pm

marisca wrote:

Shouldn't we wait until the new owners have a chance to show what their attitudes to sailors and other visitors are? So far they appear to be welcoming (between June and September anyway), claim to have laid 4 moorings and, most importantly, have a full license. It is possible they are thinking of trip boats rather than Avon Redshanks when they are limiting access to the "pier" (I remember it as a slip so maybe they have something else in mind).
Perhaps if any yachts visiting could report back on the welcome they receive ....?

Tenner a night doesn't sound very welcoming. I would expect them to be free if I was spending money in their pub.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue May 24, 2011 1:16 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:
marisca wrote:

Tenner a night doesn't sound very welcoming. I would expect them to be free if I was spending money in their pub.

I entirely agree, but ISTR that £10 was the charge for the previous single mooring buoy (the security of which was questioned) so no change there. But at least there was room to anchor and avoid using the VB. With four in place (can anyone confirm that this has happened?) anchoring might no longer be feasible. The chart shows an anchorage on the S side of the island which might be OK with a N or NW wind giving a 15 min walk to the pub. Anyone used it?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm

DaveS wrote:But at least there was room to anchor and avoid using the VB. With four in place (can anyone confirm that this has happened?) anchoring might no longer be feasible. The chart shows an anchorage on the S side of the island which might be OK with a N or NW wind giving a 15 min walk to the pub. Anyone used it?

I hope the purpose of the moorings is not to discourage anchoring.

Re the bay on the south side, I thought you'd anchored there previously - must be someone else. From memory it shelves in steeply but should be feasible in reasonable northerlies, although open to swell. We've not done it, but we've seen another yacht at anchor there. Just round the lighthouse from the bay, a wee bit to west, there are some remaining plates of the Byron Darnton liberty ship that foundered there in WW2.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue May 24, 2011 11:36 pm

DaveS wrote:The chart shows an anchorage on the S side of the island which might be OK with a N or NW wind giving a 15 min walk to the pub. Anyone used it?

Yes, we stayed there one night in a very light northerly. It was never still, the type of restlessness that Jane doesn't care for so she opted for a room in the pub. I took the long walk back to the boat which was secure but ever moving.

£10 for a sound mooring seems OK to me, but then I'm used to Oban & Tobermory prices. For its amenity(?) value, Sanda should be a lot more. If they were to get a Co-op too, £20 would be a bargain!
Derek.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 am

We hope to be at Sanda on June 17th on passage to NI.
This post is interesting with regards to the possibility of the owner or his agent/s attempting to stop us from anchoring in the bay or allowing us to go ashore, does anyone know what our rights are regards the latter?
Last time we were there the couple who were running the place did say that they were only prepared to work for the new owner if he was prepared to respect the "Right to roam" law, (not sure what that law entails) as apparently he initially intended to rufuse landing to anyone that was not going to avail of his facilities.
Apparently that same couple resigned after the generater blew up and he was not in a hurry to replace it for them.
C_W

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:40 am

Eamonn,

In Scotland essentially you have the right to walk anywhere outside on open ground. You also have a duty to behave responsibly.

You cannot take access in private gardens, within the curtilage of buildings, or in places where an entrance charge is made.

You do not have the right to walk through crops, but you do have the right to walk round the margins of fields that are being used for growing crops.

You should be guided by reasonable requests from land managers not to take access when, eg, tree felling is taking place or you might disturb nesting birds. Such requests should apply to specific areas and times and for short periods. Alternative routes may be suggested.

Full access code details HERE. You might want to take a printed copy with you if you anticipate trouble. If there is a problem then this website will campaign to do whatever it can in its powers to help rectify it. Our right of access to the countryside is very precious, and the idea that anyone can buy up the land and keep people out is something I feel strongly about - as I am sure do most of us who use this forum.
- Nick 8)

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:57 am

Nick thanks for that, will have to read through it and see where we stand, pardon the pun.
Eamonn.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Nick thanks for that, will have to read through it and see where we stand, pardon the pun.
Eamonn.

Re. anchoring - most of the seabed - including that off Sanda - is owned by the Crown Estate, so only they can prohibit anchoring. The owner of Sanda could only reasonably object if you were obstructing the fairway to the pier. In any event, there is not a lot he could do once your hook was down.

Looking forward to hearing from you and from any other visitors to Sanda this Summer. We may stop off there ourselves in a week or so when we plan to head down towards Ireland ourselves.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:46 pm

I started this particular thread with the email reply I got from Sanda's new owners - it was in response to "...are you still going to welcome yachts stopping for a pint or two while waiting for the tide round the Mull of Kintyre?"

So from their reply which basically said "yes" - and they'd laid visitor moorings, but with a June - September limit to the "pier" - you guys have managed to infer a ban on anchoring and curtailment of your freedom to roam. Gie them a chance! If they do create problems then I'll be manning the invasion fleet with the rest of you, but they probably need a welcome from us as much as we need theirs. Tomorrow is the 1st day of their official season - we have heard nothing from anyone being denied anything and I'm sure somebody must have been there this year. I'll report back from my next trip round the MoK, probably towards the end of June - that is if the tide makes a stop a good idea.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:40 pm

marisca wrote:I started this particular thread with the email reply I got from Sanda's new owners - it was in response to "...are you still going to welcome yachts stopping for a pint or two while waiting for the tide round the Mull of Kintyre?"

So from their reply which basically said "yes" - and they'd laid visitor moorings, but with a June - September limit to the "pier" - you guys have managed to infer a ban on anchoring and curtailment of your freedom to roam. Gie them a chance!

I agree with you on "Gie them a chance.
I will be happy to avail of one of the new moorings if the wind is strong from the west, better than losing a nights sleep.
C_W

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 am

According to a recent posting in TOP,
....anchoring briefly at Sanda for a lunch stop. There are definitely 4 large red moorings with pick ups now- all marked £10 to use.

See C_W's MOK thread

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Return to “Passages and Places”