Rothesay moorings

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Drumbeat
Midshipman

Rothesay moorings

Postby Drumbeat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:07 pm

Last week I set sail from Ardrossan to spend the week sailing round the Clyde before heading up to the head of Loch Fyne and back. On the way up we stopped at Rothesay for lunch at the Black Bull. We picked up a mooring as we usually do. (Although in February we stayed in the harbour and we were the only boat there). We went to pay as usual and were told that they no longer look after the moorings. Also there are now only 10 out there as the rest have been lifted (by some salvage company I think.) We we're told that the moorings were unlikely to be serviced and were "own risk use only". Does anyone have any more information?

Simon

Pelorus
Midshipman

Re: Rothesay moorings

Postby Pelorus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Your information is correct and with immediate effect the mooring buoys are no longer "supported", seems that cost of maintenance etc. is more that the income generated. See the full story in May edition of "Yachting Life"
Pelorus

Drumbeat
Midshipman

Postby Drumbeat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:16 pm

I have to say that I am not really surprised. Last summer we were talking to the chap who collects the money and he was saying that they had to reduce the number of moorings as they couldn't afford to service them. It would appear that folk would use them but not come ashore and pay. We usually did as we liked a pint or two in the Black Bull but I have to admit to the odd occasion when we didn't pay either because we were late arriving and early leaving or because we didn't go ashore.

I have to say that this could mean we won't be going to Rothesay so often this season. I don't like going into the marina as it's a bit of a tight fit for my boat when it's empty and almost impossible when it's busy.

Simon

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Have you not considered buying an anchor?

Drumbeat
Midshipman

Postby Drumbeat » Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 am

LOL. I have one somewhere. It's probably under the pile of beer cans and the BBQ :).

Actually we anchored off Millport a couple of weeks ago as the tide was very low and it was getting dark so we didn't fancy our luck getting into the moorings that night. It got very bouncy in the morning however with all the traffic around.

Simon

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sun May 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Last time it got lumpy off Milport for me, I was advised to go round the corner opposite Largs & we had a great night, but the young couple next to us had gone by first light.

They turned up again at lunchtime & I asked if they'd been anywhere nice. Rather sheepishly they admitted waking up anchored off Hunterston Power station & having to sail back. It seems they hadn't used enough chain to cope with the 10' tide! :D

It helped me realise that dragging your anchor isn't necessarily fatal. But a lot depends on the wind, tide & lee coastline.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 am

I had a foul night in Millport, or part of one. The boat was pointing sort of North for whatever reason and a swell was coming in from the west, not wash just a swell.
I was all over, had to hold the kettle on the stove! It stopped after a couple of hours but it was light by then and I was awake so I got up.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Passages and Places”