Passage from Cardiff to Milford Haven

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Passage from Cardiff to Milford Haven

Postby Alcyone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:12 am

We keep Ishtar at Cardiff Bay in the winter, sailing down to our Mooring at Dale, Milford Haven in the summer.

We had planned to go with the club outing to the Gower, but getting back on Sunday, with the early tide and Easterlies forecast saw us change our plans and head West instead. I'd left a car at Milford on Thursday for us to get back.

Locked out at 08:00 with Cassandra

and it was great to see Tony, and Summersalt out, our long term neighbour on C pontoon

We went wrong, straight away, heading outside the Ranie buoy and fell behind - There's certainly an hour to be gained by staying close inshore when punching the tide off Cardiff. Pretty soon we were heading West, and we were joined by about 8 other Cardiff Yacht Club boats, all flying spinnakers and cruising chutes

So up went ours:

As the others headed for Swansea, mostly inside the Nash sand banks, the airwaves were crackling with he sound of people wondering whether our sailing sec would make it unscathed (he'd spent several hours on a sand bank on our last trip!), or would Camelot be spending the Easter trip on 'hard water'. ;D

Joking aside, we'd planned to go to Oxwich for the night. We made such good progress, though, that I asked Louise whether she'd like to get some night hours in, and sail it in one. She agreed.

Not long afterwards, we spotted rain in the West. I didn't fancy packing the cruising chute away wet, so replaced it with the genoa. Just as well, the wind suddely veered about 120 degrees and went from 10 to 20 knots in about 5 minutes flat. We were soon hurtling along, despite the now foul tide, although it did get quite wet.

First time we've encountered a Bristol Channel squall, and though not violent, it did come on very quickly indeed.

Louise went below to prepare food, a hearty meal for me, but just a few lettuce leaves for her, which is how she keeps her figure.........

As quickly as it came on, it passed, and we were soon becalmed

I'm delighted to report that Ishtar's new engine performed admirably, and we kept up a steady 4 knots plus, through the worst of the flood.

It then got very dark indeed, and misty. In the renewed rain, I could only just make out Caldey light, and missed crow rock completely in the dark. It must be very scary indeed to cruise this coast without GPS, and I was so pleased to be able to see our position on the plotter, although stayed well off (no firing on the ranges), just in case.

By the time we got to the entrance for Milford Haven, it was very wet and miserable. I could barely make out St Anne's light, and was concerned we'd not see ships entering or leaving in the gloom. Louise called the port authority who suggested we wait for the ferry, 20 minutes, and follow it in. This we did, although it loomed up from invisibility to past us in 5 minutes flat in the rain, mist and darkness. Well worth calling the port authority in cases like this.

We picked up a mooring at 00:30. 88 miles in 16 hours. Good experience, and excellent sailing for the first half, bit of a grind in poor conditions motoring the last few hours.

We then had a lovely couple of days sailing,

after diving our mooring to check it out

Louise took us on a sail out towards Linney head and back,

And we saw the UK border control vessel heading out at a rate of knots, presumably towards Swansea to investigate reports of hordes of people in small boats invading the city (from Cardiff)!

Longer account on the blog
http://www.vbdata.co.uk/Blog

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Passage from Cardiff to Milford Haven

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:30 am

Fantastic account of a great start to the season - thanks for sharing.
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 am

Nick wrote:.

+1.

I'm pretty sure this prickly customer was caught in Oxwich Bay:

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:08 pm

That could well be Oxwich point behind you there Mark. Is it a Gurnard? If so, I've caught them there before now. They really are excellent eating, btw, don't be put off.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Mark wrote:

+1.

It appears to be clutching a scallop, which is a bit of a bonus.
- Nick 8)

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:45 pm

That brings back memories.

I bought Hyskeir, then known as Saxon in Cardiff. She was on a mooring at Cardiff Bay YC

After spending a day learning how to sail her in Cardiff Bay

it was through the intimidating barrage

past Penarth

round the Ranie buoy and into the tide

for a great sail

down to Milford Haven

That looks like another Invicta 26 lying at Dale

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Nick wrote:
Mark wrote:

+1.

It appears to be clutching a scallop, which is a bit of a bonus.

For a moment there I thought you were referring to me in my diving suit, Nick. I found one in 3m on my mooring. Didn't feel like it though, so he went back.

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Ocklepoint wrote:That brings back memories.

I bought Hyskeir, then known as Saxon in Cardiff. She was on a mooring at Cardiff Bay YC

After spending a day learning how to sail her in Cardiff Bay

it was through the intimidating barrage

past Penarth

round the Ranie buoy and into the tide

for a great sail

down to Milford Haven

That looks like another Invicta 26 lying at Dale

Good to see some more pics from my neck of the woods. We're in Cardiff yacht club, about a mile across the bay from Cardiff Bay yacht club, but I have good friends in that club too. I'm not sure if that is an Invicta, I'll see if I can find out this weekend.

Did you sail her all the way back from Cardiff? Great trip that. I'm dying to get Ishtar up to teh West coast, but I need to get the missis to take a coupel of weeks off work. Another Dale Yacht, a Sigma 38, Kish I Noor did the trip last summer.

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Alcyone wrote:
Did you sail her all the way back from Cardiff? Great trip that. I'm dying to get Ishtar up to teh West coast, but I need to get the missis to take a coupel of weeks off work. Another Dale Yacht, a Sigma 38, Kish I Noor did the trip last summer.

Yes, from Cardiff up to The West Coast the first year then round the top to Edinburgh the following year.

I have very happy memories of the friendly welcome we enjoyed in Cardiff

I may be sailing down the Irish Sea to the English Channel this season so a stop in Dale is a possibility. I didn't have the bottle to do the Jack Sound last time I was there but who knows next time, if the tide is right.

You will probably recognise this place

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 pm

We did the Penarth - Troon trip a few Decembers ago. Penarth was frozen, no water for the tanks and ice on deck.
I tried to defrost them with a bucket over the side only to be told the marina was fresh!
A couple of stops in Ireland, Howth to clear a rope from the prop, and Bangor for sausage and champ.
Cold, lumpy and dark, but the boat -an Island Packet, made things easy.
It's amazing how comfortable clothes get after a few days and nights of constant use!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:26 am

Alcyone wrote:That could well be Oxwich point behind you there Mark. Is it a Gurnard? If so, I've caught them there before now. They really are excellent eating, btw, don't be put off.

It was either Oxwich or the next bad down, I'm 90pc sure Oxwich.

Yup it was a Gurnard. It went back, I didn't know you could eat 'em! Thanks for saying - the next one will be going on the BBQ.

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:38 am

Ocklepoint wrote:
Alcyone wrote:

Yes, from Cardiff up to The West Coast the first year then round the top to Edinburgh the following year.

I have very happy memories of the friendly welcome we enjoyed in Cardiff

I may be sailing down the Irish Sea to the English Channel this season so a stop in Dale is a possibility. I didn't have the bottle to do the Jack Sound last time I was there but who knows next time, if the tide is right.

You will probably recognise this place

Looks like Skokholm light, with Skomer on the right. PM me if you do come down, I have a number of friends with moorings I look after, which are often not in use.

Jack Sound is not a problem when tackled correctly, and in decent conditions. With a strong wind over a big tide, however, it can be very nasty, as can Ramsey sound.

Alcyone
Old Salt

Postby Alcyone » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 am

Mark wrote:
Alcyone wrote:That could well be Oxwich point behind you there Mark. Is it a Gurnard? If so, I've caught them there before now. They really are excellent eating, btw, don't be put off.

It was either Oxwich or the next bad down, I'm 90pc sure Oxwich.

Yup it was a Gurnard. It went back, I didn't know you could eat 'em! Thanks for saying - the next one will be going on the BBQ.

They look ugly, and, it seems, most people avoid them, but they are very good indeed, not far off bass, I'd say. I've only once seen it on a menu, and the guy wanted £20+ for it!

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:56 am

Alcyone wrote:They look ugly, and, it seems, most people avoid them, but they are very good indeed, not far off bass, I'd say. I've only once seen it on a menu, and the guy wanted £20+ for it!

All useful information. I suppose you don't need to protect yourself with spikes unless you're tasty! At my current fishing success rate I should be catching another fish around 2024. Maybe it'll be a Gurnard and I'll try it!

Return to “Passages and Places”