sign of the times ?????

Tell us where you've been, trade information
little boy blue
Old Salt

sign of the times ?????

Postby little boy blue » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 pm

i see holt leisure have a full page ad in the herald today trying to drum up custom for kip and croabh. special offers no less.
has supply outstripped demand at last ?

Little Five
Able Seaman
Boat Type: sabre 27

Re: sign of the times ?????

Postby Little Five » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:37 am

I went to my local chandler yesterday which is based in Malahide marina. The shelves were not bare but very skimpy and they don't seem to do joined up thinking when ordering,e.g. no backing pads for anodes, no disposable suits for antifoul painting and a rubbish range of wet and dry etc. Ok, so there is a major recession on here but if you get the basics right you won't go wrong.

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Craobh did say to me that they were losing quite a few boats at the end of last season - some heading off for other marinas/moorings, others for the brokers pontoons. The village store there is up for sale too. Kip didn't look that busy on Saturday, but there were plenty still on the hard.

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:09 pm

I guess Portavadie, Port Bannatyne and the James Watt Dock Marinas must be be having an impact. If I kept my boat boat on the clyde I would despair of the offerings of others compared to Portavadie. I don't think I have ever seen Kip "full"? Some berths are getting silted, and the restaurant is so yachtsman friendly that I have spent time in the Kip Hotel a few mins walk away. I also note that (IIRC)RNCYC wre advertising moorings a few editions of yachting life back. I don't think I have seen them advertise before, are some, older, smaller boats finally coming out of the water as too expensive to keep? A bit of competition is no bad thing, isn't Largs full?
Further north Oban marina has put in extra berths, and I think Creran now has pontoons for loading so I guess there is an impact there for Croabh ( strange since they just put in a nice new shower and chandlery block - maybe folk liked the portacabins!)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:11 pm

No chance of a price-war I suppose :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm

sahona wrote:No chance of a price-war I suppose :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

we must be persistent and just keep asking for discount.

Return to “Passages and Places”