Povoa de Varzim

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Povoa de Varzim

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 am

I just received this email:

I´m Portuguese and live in Póvoa de Varzim. I have a sailing school qualiyachts.com and I belive many people have a wrong idea, in the bad sense, of Portuguese coast. We have a flat west coast whith no particular dangers, and a lot of marinas along, with excelent services. I read some foruns about the last incident with the british boat here, saying that our coast was very dangerous. Of course all coasts are dangerous under storm. The accidents hapened next shore. So all of you that are reading this, are very welcomed here, and for shure you change your mind. Greetings

Rui Óscar

I couldn't agree more with Rui - the Atlantic coast of Spain and Portugal is a tremendous trip with a lot of pleasant havens en-route - it's certainly a trip I would like to do again some day. It is not a 'dangerous coast' unless you approach it in the wrong conditions. (Although the Galician coast North of Finisterre is rather alarmingly known as the Costa de Muerte). Some of the ports can be dangerous in very strong onshore conditions, and the pilot is quite clear on this so be aware. The boat that was wrecked that Rui is referring to was trying to enter Povoa at night in very strong conditions and should have stayed well offshore.

Here's Fairwinds in Povoa in September 2006:

- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Re: Povoa de Varzim

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:40 am

a lot of marinas

I can't say that really sells it to me! :)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 am

Mark wrote:
a lot of marinas

Well, we enjoyed it. I think Povoa was about £6 a night when we were there, with a very friendly clubhouse and a short train ride into Porto. I wouldn't particularly want to live on/keep a boat on the Portuguese coast, but it's an interesting place to sail down, with many other fellow travellers en-route - and I wouldn't agree that there are a lot of marinas - you need to sail a fair distance from harbour to harbour and many are not safe in strong onshore winds. If you prefer to stay at anchor most of the time then the rias of the Galician coast from La Coruna down to Bayona are better.

There's a very good guide to ports on the Portuguese coast HERE.
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 am

Nick wrote:
Mark wrote:
a lot of marinas

Well, we enjoyed it. I think Povoa was about £6 a night when we were there, with a very friendly clubhouse and a short train ride into Porto. I wouldn't particularly want to live on/keep a boat on the Portuguese coast, but it's an interesting place to sail down, with many other fellow travellers en-route - and I wouldn't agree that there are a lot of marinas - you need to sail a fair distance from harbour to harbour and many are not safe in strong onshore winds. If you prefer to stay at anchor most of the time then the rias of the Galician coast from La Coruna down to Bayona are better.

Hey, I'm not slagging off anyone else's choices. The "lot of marinas" thing just tickled me, that's all.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:49 am

Mark wrote:
Mark wrote:I can't say that really sells it to me! :)

Hey, I'm not slagging off anyone else's choices. The "lot of marinas" thing just tickled me, that's all.

The poor old Portugee are not blessed with the plethora of islands to hide behind that you are, in fact I would suggest that they have a dearth of them (perhaps you could export a few?) Many of their traditional fishing craft are designed to be hauled up a beach when not in use, rather like Yorkshire Cobles & the smaller South coast smacks.

Marinas with solid breakwaters seem like a good idea to me on such a shore with prevailing onshore winds. And I am renowned for my dislike of Marinas in the waters that I sail.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:57 am

Arghiro wrote:
Mark wrote:
Mark wrote:I can't say that really sells it to me! :)

The poor old Portugee are not blessed with the plethora of islands to hide behind that you are, in fact I would suggest that they have a dearth of them (perhaps you could export a few?) Many of their traditional fishing craft are designed to be hauled up a beach when not in use, rather like Yorkshire Cobles & the smaller South coast smacks.

Marinas with solid breakwaters seem like a good idea to me on such a shore with prevailing onshore winds. And I am renowned for my dislike of Marinas in the waters that I sail.

We've only got one Island where I live and it's sh1t! :)

A phrase tickled me. I certainly wasn't intending to disparage Portugal, their lack of Islands, or anyone who chooses to visit. I even put a smilie! It's not like I said I rated Danforth's with White Ensigns over all other combinations!

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Ahh, are you on the "Wrong" side of the country then? :violin: At least you will get plenty of shelter from the Westerlies behind the Mother Country if you are?

My local island (Anglesey) is a fairly big one & I can scurry to the lee side to match the current forecast. It doesn't do to get caught on the wrongg side tho'. But Royalty will rush to my aid if I get it wrong - and they hear my screams.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Arghiro wrote:Ahh, are you on the "Wrong" side of the country then? :violin: At least you will get plenty of shelter from the Westerlies behind the Mother Country if you are?

My local island (Anglesey) is a fairly big one & I can scurry to the lee side to match the current forecast. It doesn't do to get caught on the wrongg side tho'. But Royalty will rush to my aid if I get it wrong - and they hear my screams.

I was talking about the IOW & the Solent so yes, wrong side but a different wrong side. I live on the 'North Island' as the IOW folk call it! :)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:23 am

I found Portugal a kind of passage-making coast - unless you went upriver (where it gets REALLY hot in Summer!).
Marinas were (in 2000) OK but the paperwork was a pain - send the lady captain up to the office(s) with the documents, it's much quicker than man-to-man stuff.
As to the OP, yes I think in general it's not an evil coast, but it can be featureless, with nowhere to run to except a marina, and if the nearest one is untenable under the current conditions, the next one is tens of miles away.
I loved the Atlantic swell, where you were totally unaware of a fishing boat close by until you both crested simultaneously.
He knew we were there of course 'cos we got a mast.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Passages and Places”