Cruising England & Scotland

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Mark
Old Salt

Re: Cruising England & Scotland

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:44 am

buenavista wrote:One thing that occurs to me, in deciding which way to go round from Ipswich to West Coast Scotland, is there a preferred way in the spring, e.g. do prevailing winds change with the season?

Good question. Prevailing winds are SW all year.

As an aside, I sometimes wonder if there might be a period in spring where Nly to Ely becomes the prevailing wind for a time in the S/SE of the UK. No idea if the facts bear that out or not.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:10 am

"I am used to trade wind sailing so you try not to head south in winter or north in summer"
Northern Hemisphere, so some of your normal guidelines need to be reversed, the ships compass may need to be adjusted and in the UK, we don't have trade winds.
So, here, we try not to head north in winter... the birds here migrate south.
The flow around pressure systems is also reversed compared to your recent experience.
a 65' trawler yacht will be larger than average and you will definitely have more options in the North than in the crowded south.
The evenings in May and June in Scotland are fantastic, so heading north first would make sense. You'll experience the West Coast in the best weather and then as you head south in late August, it will still be pleasantly warm when you get down to Cornwall and the south, whether Southern Ireland, the Irish Sea or the south coast of England.
If you have time, do your circumnavigation slowly and bear in mind that wintering will be a lot cheaper in Scotland that on the crowded expensive south coast.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:18 am

Mark wrote:
As an aside, I sometimes wonder if there might be a period in spring where Nly to Ely becomes the prevailing wind for a time in the S/SE of the UK. No idea if the facts bear that out or not.

The facts do indeed support that view. In Eastern Scotland we see a lot of E / NE wind in spring up to June. (See the climate pages on the UK Met Office website) This is apparently something to do with high pressure over Scandinavia. Maybe Simon the weather bloke will come along and tell us more?
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

buenavista
Midshipman
Boat Type: Motor Yacht - Selene

Postby buenavista » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:02 am

Great information, thanks to all, a general plan is starting to form.

On another issue, I read in a Mediterranean Cruising book that it is necessary to have some formal qualification, like RYA Yachtmaster or ICC to cruise in some countries. Is this correct? Although we have done something like 50,000nm cruising and ocean racing, I have never bothered to formalise any qualifications.

I can get a RYA ICC done over here quite easily if necessary, Yachtmaster will take too long.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 am

buenavista wrote:On another issue, I read in a Mediterranean Cruising book that it is necessary to have some formal qualification, like RYA Yachtmaster or ICC to cruise in some countries. Is this correct?

AFAIK you simply need to obey the requirements of the country your boat is registered to.

If that's wrong, you'll be needing a list of Countries and each of their local requirements for qualifications. If you find a list could you post it here?

I've chartered in Sweden & Greece without any qualifications so I guess they don't need anything (but I haven't checked).

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Mark wrote:AFAIK you simply need to obey the requirements of the country your boat is registered to.

I believe that's th letter of the law but I've heard that in many cases, officialdom doesn't believe that it's possible to sail without a parer qualifiacation. But it seems (no personal experience but hearsay) that an ICC is adequate paperwork in most of the Med.

Derek

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:06 pm

cpedw wrote:........... But it seems .......... an ICC is adequate paperwork in most of the Med..........Derek

i was under the impression that the icc was a european union thing.
not sure if australia is a member :)
presumably bv`s ship is australian registered. producing a uk qualification might raise more questions than it answers ( especially if dealing with a jobsworth ).

buenavista
Midshipman
Boat Type: Motor Yacht - Selene

Postby buenavista » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 am

Yes Buena Vista is an Australian registered ship and it is also true that ICC is a European certificate, but we can get one issued in Australia through a RYA accredited training organisation and there just happens to be one in our yacht club. Good news though that none of you have come up against any sort of officialdom on this matter, that is what makes these forums valuable. If you follow some of the cruising guides, you need a PhD before you can sail a boat in Europe!!

slisand
Midshipman
Boat Type: OE32

Postby slisand » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:19 am

i will come to scottland next year. going to the caladonian Canal and to the NW, western Island, orkney back via Norway to the Baltic whére i start end of May.

i am a German sailor and reading a lot of information here and i hope to sea you out there. i have an OE32 (Olle Enderlin, called SLISAND). So if you sea me, just come on board for a drink.
if you want to see picture an read a german blog ;) go:

www.slisand.blogspot.com

andreas

sorry for my bad english writing. i try to inprove next year

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi Andreas. Slisand is a fine looking boat. Let us know when you are coming out of the Caledonian Canal and we'll keep an eye out for you. A few of us are based around the Firth of Lorne including the good ship Silkie who is berthed in Dunstaffnage Marina.

different colours made of tears

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Andreas,

Slisland is indeed a beautiful looking yacht - I have been googling and looking at pics of a few examples. I hadn't heard of the OE32 before but found this note:
Very nice long keel sailing yacht, Designed by the famous Olle Endelein (Hallberg Rassy) and build under his supervision.

We may be away down South - hoping to get to Brittany next year - but if we are still in local waters then hopefully we can meet up. You and Slisland will love cruising NW Scotland.
- Nick 8)

slisand
Midshipman
Boat Type: OE32

Postby slisand » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:04 pm

thanks for the nice words. i expecting to be in Fort William around 17.6.2011.
i make google translation for my Blog.

here the Link:
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... pot.com%2F

under links on the right side, there will a few pictures of the boat. (also a film:"my best peace")

cu andreas

Return to “Passages and Places”