Cheap Fuel and a great welcome

Tell us where you've been, trade information
bowmore
Midshipman
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Cheap Fuel and a great welcome

Postby bowmore » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:55 am

I have just cruised around the West Coast and had the good fortune to come across a mooring and pier which is privately run and is under new management at Salen in Loch Sunart. It used to be an expensive un-welcoming place, but has changed! They sell red diesel at very competitive prices too! Great wee spot and the new owner has loads of plans to make it better including pontoons. Ignore the stuff in welcome anchorages about charging dinghys £2 per person to land, they don't do it anymore! Not too many moorings but anchoring is good and sometimes you can borrow a locals mooring for a donation to the RNLI.

They even have a website! http://www.salenjetty.co.uk

I appreciate the effort done by the new chappie as I am involved in the Otter Ferry Moorings and Pontoon on Loch Fyne. Support him before great facilities like this disappear!

Cheers

Ken Coley
Bowmore SK19

Mark
Old Salt

Re: Cheap Fuel and a great welcome

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:55 pm

bowmore wrote:I have just cruised around the West Coast and had the good fortune to come across a mooring and pier which is privately run and is under new management at Salen in Loch Sunart. It used to be an expensive un-welcoming place, but has changed! They sell red diesel at very competitive prices too! Great wee spot and the new owner has loads of plans to make it better including pontoons. Ignore the stuff in welcome anchorages about charging dinghys £2 per person to land, they don't do it anymore! Not too many moorings but anchoring is good and sometimes you can borrow a locals mooring for a donation to the RNLI.

They even have a website! http://www.salenjetty.co.uk

I appreciate the effort done by the new chappie as I am involved in the Otter Ferry Moorings and Pontoon on Loch Fyne. Support him before great facilities like this disappear!

Cheers

Ken Coley
Bowmore SK19

What happened to the previous guy? I may be alone, but I quite liked him. :-)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:17 am

Good news.
Went there in late 90's, and got a sensation of being hounded and charged for things I would normally get for free, however, he did a rubbish run.
There was just a bad feeling somehow. The locals didn't seem to like his demeanour either, sort of thought he let the side down, charisma-wise.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:17 pm

I liked the grumpy sod too
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 pm

TFT Ken. I'm sure Nick will want to update his Scottish Moorings entry directly. :wink:
different colours made of tears

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:07 pm

No sooner said than done. It's good news as well - I had an unpleasant run-in with then original rackmanite twat many yearas ago.

As an aside, the guy who runs Sail Scotland (he of the busted website) tried very hard to talk me out of setting up the moorings page back in 2002, but I think it has been rather successful.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 am

It depends on how you define successful, I found this site by searching on "scottish moorings" and it took me to that page, so you wouldn't have been pestered by me if it wasn't there.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 am

Nick wrote:.
rackmanite twat

:-)

Brilliant term, and I've learned a new word, thanks.

I like eccentrics. My life is richer for 'experiencing' Salen & the RT.

Nick wrote:.
As an aside, the guy who runs Sail Scotland (he of the busted website) tried very hard to talk me out of setting up the moorings page back in 2002, but I think it has been rather successful.

I found the moorings page long before I discovered the forum. I'd printed it off and taken it on a couple of trips. Then I discovered Blue Moment forums via TOP and lurked/posted here for a couple of years. Imagine my surprise when I took out the scruffy sheets with the rusty staple and noticed where the info had actually come from. I'd been using it intermittently for four years. Very useful. (as is Claymore's definitive tidal gates.)[/quote]

Return to “Passages and Places”