Tell us where you've been, trade information
coconut
Midshipman
Boat Type: microcupper

Hullo

Postby coconut » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:33 pm

*shuffles feet into the classroom*

hullo, I'm the new boy!

I'm planning on bringing my wee micro 18 through from the Forth where I'm based to the west for some sailing this year.

I'm mainly thinking of trying to steal a long weekend or perhaps a week on the boat to try out some new sailing grounds but not too sure where to launch from (and to store car & trailer for weekend) and where the best* cruising ground would be.

*disclaimer - best as in, coconut has quite alot of sail area, is quite tippy and I generally sail solo so available refuge and sheltered waters generally desirable.

As such, Im all open to suggestions as to where my first forray into the west should start from or take in.

Suppose the main things would be,
1. good anchorages / harbours to stop off
2. a pub to have some food / perhaps a shandy of an evening in for the odd night

over to you guys,

Cheers

Coconut

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Hullo

Postby Nick » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Coconut.

You can't go wrong with a cruise up the Sound of Mull for your first trip. A 4nm open water dash across from Oban and you have fifty miles of very sheltered water up to Tobermory and down Loch Sunart with lots of anchorages. A friend has done it with his son in a GP14, so you will have no worries!

You may be able to launch from Puffin Divers. Failing that, ask Silkie about the possibility of launching from Dunstaffange.
- Nick 8)

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Coconut.

The West coast is nice but if you want to break yourself in gently, why not try a cruise round the Clyde?

I took my First 18 to Largs which is a handy place to launch, and cheap too. Once I had paid the launch fee (about £20 IIRC) I had free parking for 2 weeks. The slip at Kip is outside the marina and doesn't have a jetty alongside so it's not as easy to use. If you go at Spring Bank the Trail Sail Association will be around if you want a bit of company.

What to do once you have launched is far to big a subject to go into here, it's all good and you could go back year after year and not get bored.

HTH Bob.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 am

Second the Clyde, especially the upper sealochs, which, although they may be a bit gusty sometimes always have some shelter close by.
Also, you probably want to tow on decent roads, not those cart tracks where Nick suggests!
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Another vote for the Clyde. I towed up there for a couple of weeks & stayed 3 years. only left 'cos I sold the boat & when I bought the new one it was back in N Wales & much closer to home.

coconut
Midshipman
Boat Type: microcupper

Postby coconut » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Sweet, thanks for the advice guys; will do a little more digging about but looks like the Clyde may be the easier option for towing.

But Tobamory on Mull has distillery... decisions decisions.

Something to ponder when I should be working.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:53 pm

There's no difficulty towing to Oban. A decent launch site and somewhere to leave the car are the main issues. I would have a word with Puffin Divers if Oban appeals. It's the real West coast, the Clyde is really a bigger - and much nicer - version of the Solent.
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Nick wrote:.
the Clyde is really a bigger - and much nicer - version of the Solent.

From a visitor's perspective I think that's a little a little too harsh.

In Spring you can easily do a week's cruise and not see another leisure boat. Off the top of my head there's Lamlash, Loch Gare, Ardrishaig, Loch Ranza, Glen Callum Bay, Tarbert, Rothsay. There is literally nowhere that compares with any of those in the Solent and everywhere is heaving, even out of Season. You see people talk about Yarmouth like it's a quaint un spoiled Harbour - I was there last week and it's rubbish - a Marina in all but name - and that's considered one of the better places.

I reckon the Clyde or even Loch Ness is a cracking little adenture.

I'm working from memory but Oban is, what, 3 hours past Glasgow instead of 40 mins to Largs? Quite a big difference.

Having said all that I'm one of the Solent's biggest critics but in a chat on the Scuttlebutt Clyde Cruise last year it was considered that as much as the South Coasters is blown by Scotland, including the Clyde, maybe a Scottish Sailor visiting might be blown away by seeing the RN ships berthed, plus Victory and Warror, the needles & the Spinnaker Tower. Maybe we all want what we haven't got.

Plus the sea is literally seething with Sea Horses down here at the moment.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:49 pm

I sailed through the Solent in March once with an overnight in Yarmouth. No other boats, pretty bleak at that time of year.

From Edinburgh you go through Stirling to get to Oban, not Glasgow - but Largs is at least an hour nearer. I suggested Oban because to me that is the real West Coast - Forth to Clyde is just swapping one estuary for another. I agree though, there is plenty on the Clyde for many weeks cruising without getting bored - and if you do fancy the Wild West there is always the option of the Crinan, giving you the best of both worlds.
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Nick wrote:.
From Edinburgh you go through Stirling to get to Oban, not Glasgow - but Largs is at least an hour nearer. I suggested Oban because to me that is the real West Coast - Forth to Clyde is just swapping one estuary for another.

I followed your logic and wasn't really strongly disagreeing.

I guess I was saying in cruising terms:
Solent = 1/10
Clyde = 8/10
Real West Coast = 10/10

Ironically I suspect if round the can racing is your bag those scores might reverse!

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:11 pm

comparing the clyde to the west coast is like the choosing between good french or good italian wines. Both excellent, everyone will have a personal preference and the real answer is to keep trying both!
Aren't we spoiled!
If towing, then early season on the clyde and then tow the boat up to Arisiaig or Plokton or Oban. Its light and easy to move around so make the most of it.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:32 am

It's a trailor sailor, no need to shell out for the Crinan, hoick it out and sling it back in on the other side.

I think the TSA seem to like the slip at Dunstafnage but complained that there is no petrol without going to the local supermarket (outboards not diesel inboards).

If you want to try Loch Lomond the slip at Balloch is good. You need to rig before launch as there is no waiting on the jetties, I think that's pants to be honest. Loch Lomond is worth a week just to have a look round and see what it's like.

In a year you can do Loch Lomond, the Clyde and out West, and the beauty is you can do them all again next year too, I miss my trailer sailer.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 am

For launching near Oban I have used the old flying boat slip at Ganavan. Big slip, useable for about 3/4 of the tide, and plenty of parking space for car and trailer. (This was about 15 years ago though, so things might have changed. Anyone know?)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:11 am

aquaplane wrote:
I think the TSA seem to like the slip at Dunstafnage but complained that there is no petrol without going to the local supermarket (outboards not diesel inboards).

There is petrol at a garage half a mile down the road from Dunstaffnage.
- Nick 8)

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:10 pm

DaveS wrote:For launching near Oban I have used the old flying boat slip at Ganavan. Big slip, useable for about 3/4 of the tide, and plenty of parking space for car and trailer. (This was about 15 years ago though, so things might have changed. Anyone know?)

I think it may all be houses right along where the car park was now, so not sure about what may be left of the slip.

Donald

Return to “Passages and Places”