Proposed offshore wind farm sites in Scotland

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Proposed offshore wind farm sites in Scotland

Postby Telo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:41 pm

According to a BBC report, Scottish Enterprise has identified these sites for potential offshore wind farm development;
    Leith
    Dundee
    Nigg
    Energy Park Fife at Methil
    Hunterston
    Aberdeen
    Arnish
    Campbeltown/Machrihanish
    Ardesier
    Kishorn
    Peterhead

While there may be dispute about whether or not they are needed, or damage to scenic amenity, or whether it's the right technology etc, I cannot see the proposed sites being terribly problematic from a sailing point of view.

No doubt I shall be corrected... :)

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Re: Proposed offshore wind farm sites in Scotland

Postby Gordonmc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:56 pm

The only one what jumps off the page is Hunterston.
Conceivably the others have areas of open water away from main sea-routes. Hunterston, however is confined by the Cumbraes and if the area in question is outside the Largs channel then there will be problems with large vessels (not to mention Faslane and Coulport's finest) using the Kilchattan channel.
I hope its not on the list simply because of available interconnector access.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:43 pm

The article is not very clear, but, looking at the Scottish Enterprise report, it appears that the named places are being suggested as possible development sites for integrated manufacturing and construction of offshore wind equipment. As I recall, Hunterston (at least part of the site), had been earmarked for "clean" coal and biomass power generation (and possible carbon capture and storage?), although I don't know whether that was ever given planning permission.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:06 am

My own view is that the technology is flawed, but nobody is going to listen to me!

Having said that, it looks we are going to be lumbered with the feckin' things come hell or high water, so we'll just have to make the best of it.

Peterhead and Aberdeen seem reasonable suggestions, as the infrastructure to support the North Sea Oil industry is already in place. The oil sector will start to run down soon, and already there is talk of a decommissioning industry to recycle all the equipment from the oil platforms. The engineering expertiese to build offshore structures is already here, so I suppose it makes sense to utilise that to build wind turbines.

It still doesn't change my view that this is flawed technology however, and if the climate change "experts" are to be believed, we are in for much wetter weather. Personally, I think hydro is the way to go for renewable sources. After all, I've NEVER seen the Dee/Don/Deveron/Spey Etc. dry up yet, but there have been many days that the wind hasn't been enough to ruffle my curls! Not that I've got any left!
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:01 pm

I can't believe that Hunterston is really a site for 'offshore' turbines . . . but most of the others make sense.

There are plans afoot to build at least a couple of sizeable new hydro pump storage schemes, which is a way of storing wind energy and releasing it to the grid when needed, so maybe the powers that be aren't completely daft.

(An unlikely hypothesis I know :wink: )
- Nick 8)

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:23 am

Read it again.

These aren't proposed wind-farm sites but places to manufacture the turbines etc.

Return to “Passages and Places”