Irish Cruising

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Irish Cruising

Postby Pete Cooper » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Saw this site mentioned in another place and thought it might be of interest to some on here:

http://www.inyourfootsteps.com/

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Irish Cruising

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:54 pm

I really don't get it at all. It's just a few routes presented as a list of waypoints. eg - Dublin - Kilmore Quay inside the banks - a list of 22 waypoints following a route we have done twice S and once N with no more than 5 waypoints.

There's a route across Biscay also presented as a set of waypoints, which to me is just mad. To me the essence of a safe offshore passage in a small yacht is the need and ability to adapt to prevailing and forecast conditions 'on the hoof' , not just to blindly follow a set of waypoints.

I appreciate that a substantial effort has gone into setting this site up but I am afraid that lists of waypoints with minimal pilotage information that can be easily gleaned elsewhere is not my idea of a useful sailing site - indeed, these waypoint lists could be dangerous in some circumstances. Still, I am sure some people will find it convenient.

EDIT
I didn't look at the Harbours section, only the Routes section. I've had a look at some of the places we've visited and the information is detailed, useful and interesting. So - my apologies to the authors, I certainly do see the point in the harbours section, which is an excellent resource. I stick by my comments about the Routes section though.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Passages and Places”