St Kilda

Tell us where you've been, trade information
spuddy
Master Mariner

St Kilda

Postby spuddy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:46 pm

New Year resolution was "More fun for Tone" (again). So planning jaunts and cruises for the coming year. My boat will stay fairly local but go foreign. I wanted to head north again but the joints aren't good for the hills and, anyway, interested in saili8ng further north than I have before. Came across Westbound Adventures as a link on here; sounds promising and wonder if anybody knows of them?. I'm aware of uncertainty over St Kilda as a destination but would also enjoy a sniff around Barra anyway. Nick's snaps from last year might have sparked this off. Anyone also got experience to share about Outer Isles in general or St K in particular?

Mark
Old Salt

Re: St Kilda

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:23 pm

spuddy wrote:Came across Westbound Adventures as a link on here

Me too and bookmarked it. Starting from Barra sounds perfect but looking at the web site it doesn't seem to be available for charter.

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Think I'd have to join a mile-builder cruise on the share a chalet principle

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Guys - if I remember correctly it is a one boat outfit - a Sigma 33C which is based Castlebay. I've read quite a few articles by the owner (can't remember his name) but he does serious sailing and is more into teaching than charter.

Regards
Donald

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Yes, most of his calendar is training but definitely does cruises out of Barra.

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Another couple of possibilities, but both are skippered, although Annag might be a possibility for a bare boat:
http://www.elinca.co.uk/

http://www.isleofberneray.com/businesses/cruises/

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Westbound Adventurer is now available for charter

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:28 am

This year Paul is offering Westbound Adventurer for charter from Castlebay during June, July and August to suitably qualified or experienced people.

Essentially Coastal Skipper or equivalent for East of the Hebrides, YM or equivalent if you want to take her to St. Kilda or up the West side of the Outer Hebrides. £1200 per week. New website for bareboat charter at http://www.westboundcharters.co.uk
- Nick 8)

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:49 am

Would be just me so wasn't thinking about a charter. Thanks for the links. The Annag might mean a start in N Uist and I'd guess Barra would be easier to get to for me. Flight Gatwick to Glasgow then transfer to Barra. But then I know nothing about travel out in the islands; Glen Brittle campsite is the furthest west for me

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53 am

You can get a bus from Barra to N. Uist
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Re: Westbound Adventurer is now available for charter

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:32 am

Nick wrote:Essentially Coastal Skipper or equivalent for East of the Hebrides, YM or equivalent if you want to take her to St. Kilda or up the West side of the Outer Hebrides. £1200 per week. New website for bareboat charter at http://www.westboundcharters.co.uk

Ahhh, same yacht, two websites. Game on.

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

spuddy wrote:Would be just me so wasn't thinking about a charter. Thanks for the links. The Annag might mean a start in N Uist and I'd guess Barra would be easier to get to for me. Flight Gatwick to Glasgow then transfer to Barra. ...

Fly Glasgow to Benbecula, 20 minute taxi to Berneray.. but then you miss the unique Barra airstrip- landing on the beach when the tide is out!

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 pm

Upon reflection, and totting up the costs, I'm not going this year. The outlay, including travel, would buy me a new main or a plotter which I won't do this year either. Still, it kept me entertained while spending nowt. Thanks for the links.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 am

I know it is not the same as sailing your own boat but there is a boat Orca does trips to St Kilda from Harris. http://www.kildacruises.co.uk/trips/ Saw the boat in Rothesay the other night and was speaking with Angus the owner. They are currently doing contract work for a television crew filming a kids tv programme series on the Maersk boats in Loch Striven. Is a lovely boat and well apointed with aircraft type seats etc.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:58 am

Falkirkdan wrote:I know it is not the same as sailing your own boat but there is a boat Orca does trips to St Kilda from Harris. http://www.kildacruises.co.uk/trips/ .

Your SnapDraggon has been to St Kilda twice, bout time it went with you on board, don't you think?
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:21 pm

So Sliced Sausage do you want to be my crew for the trip to St Kilda.

Here we could do a diversion on BH in March.

Return to “Passages and Places”