Wind against tide.

Tell us where you've been, trade information
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Wind against tide.

Postby claymore » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:13 pm

Webster
I think it is East of North and West of South...
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:22 pm

All this talk of tide rips & no-one has mentioned "the Falls of Lorna" at the mouth of Loch Etive, Connel, near Dunstaffnage. Now that's a sight to behold in full ebb or flood. Yet a real pussy cat at slack. I sailed up the falls to deliver my first boat to her new home.

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:31 pm

Arghiro wrote:All this talk of tide rips & no-one has mentioned "the Falls of Lorna" at the mouth of Loch Etive, Connel, near Dunstaffnage. Now that's a sight to behold in full ebb or flood. Yet a real pussy cat at slack. I sailed up the falls to deliver my first boat to her new home.

Dunno them but te "Falls of Lora" look a bit spooky

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:55 pm

puddock wrote:
Arghiro wrote:All this talk of tide rips & no-one has mentioned "the Falls of Lorna" at the mouth of Loch Etive, Connel, near Dunstaffnage. Now that's a sight to behold in full ebb or flood. Yet a real pussy cat at slack. I sailed up the falls to deliver my first boat to her new home.

Dunno them but te "Falls of Lora" look a bit spooky

Oh blimey! That's the problem with cheap Brandy - it stuffs up yer spelling. I see you are based at Dunny Staffnage. Have you not explored Loch Etive then?

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:23 am

Havent the bollocks or the experinece to do so.............. but if I have a capable "skipper" onboard I would lve to - drove by on numerous occassions wondering if I could.........always chickened out.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Loch Etive

Postby Nick » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:34 am

I presume you have all read Shard's account of his and Mme Shard's cruise up Loch Etive in another post HERE ?
- Nick 8)

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:07 pm

We borrowed some time on a mooring just below the bridge, in order to visit the Inn, last Summer.
I recon the trip ashore could be quite dangerous in the tender - ours is a reasonably powerful rib and was working very hard to do the job with three adults aboard. The boat was slewing in the current and was tricky to board at the stern. The mooring buoy was being submerged by the tension on the chain.
If you lost control picking or dropping the mooring, it's highly probable an insurance claim would result.
Probably quite a good place to finally put an end to the great anchor debate.
Anyone fancy a drag party there next year???
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:29 pm

sahona wrote:Anyone fancy a drag party there next year???

Listen here, Puddock and I have had quite enough of dragging anchors to last BOTH of us a lifetime, thank you very much :!:
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:04 pm

I sold my first boat to a couple that lived in the Black Crofts North Connel. I was berthed in Dunstaffnage & took them out for a run. I had promised them that I would deliver the boat to their prepared mooring up the loch. So as we pottered around near the Marina I pottered over towards the bridge to see what the falls were like. The tide was on the flood (about half tide of course) and you could actually see the surface of the sea sloping downwards towards the falls. Feeling the grip of the current & turned away & opened up the outboard to demonstrate its power. Unfortunately there was a problem with the fuel supply & it died. :shock:

It was hard to deal with - the urge to panic was powerful, but I wanted to look cool & restart it casually as if it wasn't really a problem. Fortunately, by doing all the right things in the right order, it did restart immediately. I needed full power & the ability to read the current to get out of that mess. lesson learned; don't show off when trying to sell your boat.

We had checked the falls from the old rail bridge on flood & ebb & at slack water and had even made a few sketches. In those days, altho' we had taken quite a few pictures, they had to be printed by a chemist! Anyway, with the confidence of checking the tide times by physical observation I had confidence in the pilotage notes & the following morning it was an easy & delightful passgae under the bridge & up the falls at high water slack and on to the new owner's mooring.

If you ever get the chance to traverse the Falls of Lora - do it, but don't hang about in the vicinity at half tide!

Return to “Passages and Places”