Sailing this weekend?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Re: Sailing this weekend?

Postby Shuggy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks Nick

Thought I would leave 16 clear - will hope to meet you in person at some point. I had a quick squint at you through the bins too. Hope you had a good evening - PD looked quite empty as we passed.

Shuggy
---
Shuggy

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:18 am

The joy of retirement! I was lurking at Connel last week, watching the high move in. We set off on Wednesday 9th for a circumnavigation of Mull. From L Creran, we made Tobermory on Wednesday night. Then round the north of Mull into L Tuath and through the Sound of Ulva for the first time - not to be forgotten in a hurry! - and ended at Inch Kenneth on Thursday. Not been there before either. Friday night we anchored in the Sound of Iona by the cathedral. Another first; we have been there several times but never dared to anchor overnight before. In such settled weather and neap tides, it was fine.
Next to Easdale to see Dick Gaughan and several fellow BMers. Sunday we sailed up the Firth of Lorn to Airds Bay, with Mayday accompaniment on the VHF. Finally sauntered back into L Creran on Monday. Now we are back home on Tuesday and it's drizzling.
The delight is being able to pick the weather; roll on the next big high with reasonablwe winds attached.
Derek

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:10 pm

cpedw wrote:Next to Easdale to see Dick Gaughan and several fellow BMers. Sunday we sailed up the Firth of Lorn to Airds Bay
Derek

Ah, the world is full of coincidences and near misses. Not being a Gaughan fan, I left the others to it and spent Saturday night in Airds Bay. Our paths must have crossed on Sunday.

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:29 pm

DaveS wrote:
cpedw wrote:Next to Easdale to see Dick Gaughan and several fellow BMers. Sunday we sailed up the Firth of Lorn to Airds Bay
Derek

Ah, the world is full of coincidences and near misses. Not being a Gaughan fan, I left the others to it and spent Saturday night in Airds Bay. Our paths must have crossed on Sunday.

Airds Bay, a sure delight of a place, so often ignored due its proximity to Dunstaffnage and thereabouts. For the better, I hasten to add.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:28 pm

After a very late start on Sunday (I was still on the Easdale mooring when Avilion passed the entrance to the sound!) Silkie sailed down to the Black Isles and anchored betwixt for the night (where I heard the Coastguard end of Shard's assistance in the Mayday) before returning to Dunstaffnage on Monday.

Glorious weekend. Doesn't quite make up for my July and August but has at least stopped me from thinking about selling the boat. Outsailed a Vega on Monday afternoon but can claim no credit since a breeze which is insufficient to enable one to reach four knots is enough for a Hurley 22 to do so comfortably. :)

Thanks for the pic of Silkie Donald. Any chance of a full size one to add to my collection? Sadly I was too busy to reciprocate.
different colours made of tears

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Silkie wrote: Outsailed a Vega on Monday afternoon but can claim no credit since a breeze which is insufficient to enable one to reach four knots is enough for a Hurley 22 to do so comfortably. :)

Ohh Err Missus!

I'll need to have a look at the SA/D specs. I've found a Polar Diagram for the Vega - I wonder if one exists for the Hurley 22?

Vega Polar Diagram

Don't have time to look tonight - I need to be in your part of the country - Bilston Glen Ind Est - at 0600 hrs to pick up a truck and drive to Aberdeen.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 pm

but has at least stopped me from thinking about selling the boat.

What? Are(were) you serious?????

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Silkie wrote:Any chance of a full size one to add to my collection?

Yes. in a couple of days (mind me on if I forget please). Meanwhile, here's another one of Airds Bay. A sunrise;

Return to “Passages and Places”