Rough Today

Tell us where you've been, trade information
fjarvis
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson

Rough Today

Postby fjarvis » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Just back from Rothesay - it was blowing a bit out in Skelmorlie channel. Not where I wanted to be in my 20' Colvic with a hangover getting rolled around :shock:

Good night though, the place was heaving with the Highland Games on yesterday.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Re: Rough Today

Postby Gardenshed » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:32 pm

also just back from the same area. Circumnavigated great cumbrae twice (Largs Regatta). The instruments on board were well calibrated and we had a pretty solid 18-22kts, 30 the max gust. The 30kt gust was at the Tan in the millport channel, just after hoisting the kite. 15kts peak boat speed but the wind was rising in the afternoon after we'd finished so "it was blowing a bit", is an apt description. Breezy & wet but at least it wasn't too cold.
No breakages, no injuries and a good result in the race. Yesterday was a much more pleasant day on the water.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:47 am

fjarvis wrote:Just back from Rothesay - it was blowing a bit out in Skelmorlie channel. Not where I wanted to be in my 20' Colvic with a hangover getting rolled around :shock:

Good night though, the place was heaving with the Highland Games on yesterday.

We left Rothesay about 10.00 Sunday along with a good fleet of boats heading for Kip and beyond. Like the others expected it to blow strong in morning and easy in afternoon so did not plan early rise, however when did look out saw the flag on the castle mainly hanging, my wind guide for Rothesay. Leaving even 30 mins earlier would have made for better passage.

fjarvis
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson

Postby fjarvis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Falkirkdan wrote: We left Rothesay about 10.00 Sunday along with a good fleet of boats heading for Kip and beyond. Like the others expected it to blow strong in morning and easy in afternoon so did not plan early rise, however when did look out saw the flag on the castle mainly hanging, my wind guide for Rothesay. Leaving even 30 mins earlier would have made for better passage.

We didn't leave till around noon :? The tender got turned over in the wind and actually got pulled under the water - was quite tricky trying to sort that one out!

Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Postby Alcyone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

I was wondering.

I sit on the boat down in Milford and I hear the general synopsis - 'Low pressure moving Northwest to be centered over Western Scotland'. Day after day, it is the same.

Is there a low pressure regatta up there with you guys? Does it work like black holes? Will they all join together and form a 'black hurricane' sucking in yachts never to escape?

Return to “Passages and Places”