Skye moorings

Tell us where you've been, trade information
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Skye moorings

Postby DaveS » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm trying to find out who owns moorings near Dunan, Skye, opposite Scalpay. There seemed to be about a dozen moorings and a building ashore, perhaps a small boatyard, but I couldn't see a name or get ashore at the time to find out more. Unless I've missed it, it's not listed under either of the Bluemoment moorings / marinas lists. Anyone know?

The full story of the Unpleasantness at Kyles Scalpay may be revealed later... :oops:

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Re: Skye moorings

Postby MrMcP » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:46 pm

There used to be a boatyard, fuel service (brought to a mooring) and a series of moorings owned and operated in the Kyles of Scalpay until 2, maybe 3 seasons ago. The then owner sold up and the property took an age to sell, so most people that had used the yard transferred to the Skye Boat Centre in Broadford. The Dunan yard has now sold and I believe the new owner does intend to re-instate the boat yard and facilities, but I can't find any details for him. If you want, I can find out the contact info from sailing friends on Skye. Given the length of time since the last owner closed up and the current owner started operations I don't know how long it has been since the moorings were checked.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks for that. Yes, I'm normally very suspicious about picking up anonymous moorings and much prefer to anchor - which we were in the process of doing when things went badly agley. It's not really urgent, I just wanted to contact them and offer any payment due. I'll be passing that way next month and will call in then.

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm

It is The Skye Boat Centre, Strollamus, Skye, IV49 9AL (tel 01471 822070) which is just north of the Scalpay narrows. The boat yard in Broadford is at Waterloo in the south of Broadford Bay and has no moorings. The SBC did indeed change hands last July and fortunately the new owners intend to continue with the boat yard business. They have three or four moorings there and they were checked last October. I'm sure they would be grateful of any monies you wish to send them. They have shower and toilet facilities ashore. The moorings could indeed be added to the Bluemoment site, but it is quite an exposed site. However I think that the lift out facilities could be even more useful to know about in times for emergency repairs when north of Ardnamurchan Point. Also the new owner, Ian Prentice seems to know a thing or two about boat/engine repairs.
I have my own mooring there and use the yard for lift out and in and for access to the mooring.
Anyway, what did happened to you in Scalpay narrows?

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:03 pm

Yes, the full unvarnished truth needs to be aired on here - with pictures. Don't be a tease Dave.
different colours made of tears

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:42 pm

Ah, apologies for getting the two places mixed up. I got Strollamus mixed up with another name that my family had associated with Broadford (Sculamus? Spelling might be off, but it was part of their house name near Broadford....).

Thankfully there are none of my family on this forum to rib me for my failed knowledge of Skye after years of living there..... :oops:

Return to “Passages and Places”