Melfort Pier: Oh no they aren't...

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Melfort Pier: Oh no they aren't...

Postby Shuggy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:48 am

A word of warning about Melfort Pier. Despite displaying this massive advert on the restaurant:

It's a fallacy. They're not open then, as the spotty yoof of a chef can't be bothered to cook for you if you arrive when it doesn't suit him. 2pm for lunch? Let me think... err, no, p*ss off. Not that it translated well from the Polish. Grrrrr.

Explanation?

"We're open, but not to serve food or drink."

Eh?

Go to the bottom of the class, Melfort Pier. We used to like you.
---
Shuggy

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Melfort Pier: Oh no they aren't...

Postby claymore » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:52 am

Things change quickly so this may no longer be true but the Shower of Herring was very good last time I was there (2007)

As was the Cuilfail.

As was the Lord of the Isles

But not the Loch Melfort Hotel.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:04 pm

claymore wrote:Things change quickly so this may no longer be true but the Shower of Herring was very good last time I was there (2007)

As was the Cuilfail.

As was the Lord of the Isles

But not the Loch Melfort Hotel.

Wish you had said that before, called into the Bistro for lunch today. Disappointed and quite frankly disgusted!
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Shuggy
Old Salt

Postby Shuggy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:33 am

Shower of Herring was good last time we were there too - also 2007. We had our wedding reception in the Loch Melfort Hotel so we're both inclined not to go back as it would spoil great memories. I suspect we will never go back as the evening was superb and I think our bubble might be burst (2001). Funny how venues change so quickly. For example, the Frog went from great (2006) to "we will never darken your doors again" (2008). Now the White House in Lochaline got 12 ex 10 in our ratings in July this year. Awesome. And the Boat Shed in Ulva had a similar rating this year. Fantastic.
---
Shuggy

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Ye'll have had yer tea then?

Postby Telo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Shuggy, we had a similar experience in Tobermory a couple of months ago. The Mishnish had a board stuck out on the pavement announcing that the upstairs restaurant was open from 6.30pm "until late".

"Late" apparently means before 8.30pm.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Can I join the grump with an observation of just one character in the Frog?
In at lunch time for a tipple. Her G&slim had to be a G&T "nae slimline"
It came with a slice of cucumber instead of lemon. When 'she' fished it out as it tasted yeuch, he said it was all the rage in the tropics (Dunstaffnage???) and that she was old fashioned preferring lemon. - seems reasonable as we ARE old, and obviously so.
We then enquired about evening meals and were expressly told NOT to book.
When we arrived for said meal, having only had a liquid lunch in anticipation, we were told by another staff-member that it was mandatory to book at this time of year and we could not be seated for two hours. Back to the boat for a tin.
Next day, my nephew was about to park his car when a black 4WD wooshed into the space and out came guess who, with the comment "Staff priority".
As a qualified NVQ assessor, I can confidently say that Hamish is not yet ready to be set loose on the general public.
The rest get their certificates.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Sadly have to agree with the various Frog comments.

I've only been in twice this year since the CC and the second occasion featured so pitiful and arrogant a performance from those members of the staff who wouldn't be there without the benefits of nepotism that the enjoyment of my pint was quite spoiled (which takes a lot of doing) and I haven't been back since.

Happy to hear The White House is still "Awesome" since it's a couple of years since I've eaten there. In a class of it's own IMO.
different colours made of tears

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Silkie wrote:Sadly have to agree with the various Frog comments.

I've only been in twice this year since the CC and the second occasion featured so pitiful and arrogant a performance from those members of the staff who wouldn't be there without the benefits of nepotism that the enjoyment of my pint was quite spoiled (which takes a lot of doing) and I haven't been back since.

Happy to hear The White House is still "Awesome" since it's a couple of years since I've eaten there. In a class of it's own IMO.

I'm afraid I have to echo Silkies observations on the Frog. It usually takes a bit for the wife to persuade me to leave a pub after I've settled myself down (@1/2 a pint). Sadly, I don't think I have managed more than 2 pints before suggesting we retire to the boat.
Last time, I didn't even finish my pint. We were sat outside, on a very pleasant evening, (supposedly) enjoying a nice little wind down. Unfortunately for us, a group of "customers" (off duty staff! - all under 21 ish) were obviously on their 3rd drink or so, judging by the giggling, swearing, 3 dropped glasses in the space of 10 minutes and one of them staggering into the back of my seat on the way back from the loo .....
My wife (who knows the signs), took one look at my expression and suggested we retire to Rosally for the evening. Probably for the best.
It is a pity because that place has the makings of an excellent establishment and could be a gold mine in the hands of someone even semi-competent. Alas, I can't see any change soon.

Bob (Merry Monster) does speak very highly of the service onboard Silkie though. Apparently you qualify for a free beer if you assist by taking a line ...

Shuggy
Old Salt

Postby Shuggy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:02 pm

I am on a personal boycott of the Frog. It's a great place (could be a great place) with staff who were truly awful last time we visited - oh, and the food was third rate.
---
Shuggy

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:10 am

As one who has enjoyed the early morning hospitality aboard Silkie, I cannot recommend it highly enough. The tea was served promptly and courteously and I felt this all the more creditable considering the fact that the staff had obviously been working late into the night. Despite their tousled appearance they clearly pulled out all the stops and not only made me feel welcome but also that my custom mattered.
Chents cruise - Saturday morning 2007. Tobermory. 08:00hrs
Regards
Claymore

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:00 pm

I've applied to the Scottish Tourist Board for a rating. Would you consider giving me a reference?

[nitpick]2008 was the only year that you and I and Silkie were all in Tobermory at the same time. Ardfern 2006?[/nitpick]

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Silkie wrote:I've applied to the Scottish Tourist Board for a rating. Would you consider giving me a reference?

[nitpick]2008 was the only year that you and I and Silkie were all in Tobermory at the same time. Ardfern 2006?[/nitpick]

Rating granted

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:09 pm

2008 it was
Still traumatised by the ride home and thus prone to bouts of confusion
Regards
Claymore

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:35 pm

It must come in handy to have something to blame for your bouts of confusion.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 am

Indeed - I have, in the past blamed yourself of course, on a couple of occasions

Keys seem to be an increasing weakness as does my work namebadge thingy at the moment. Without that I am lost - my whole identity and persona seem to be reliant upon its being nailed to my lapel...
Regards
Claymore

Return to “Passages and Places”