Ballachulish

Tell us where you've been, trade information
puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Ballachulish

Postby puddock » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Anyone been up here recently? I noticed on the Highland moorings section, that it mentions that "free use of swimming pool and Sauna". When we were up there in March, these were not offered. Just wondered if that situation had changed.
However, we were only charged £10 for tying up overnight also.

Ballachulish - West Harbour

A 40 metre pontoon is maintained by Lochaber Watersports http://www.lochaberwatersports.co.uk. LIMITED visitors berthing space is available when their own yachts are away. An advance phone call to 07831 846025 may be helpful. Cost is £15 per night and includes FREE use of swimming pool and sauna at the adjacent Swallow Isles of Glencoe Hotel. Water and rubbish disposal is available at the pontoon. A well stocked Co-op, doctor, Post Office and bank(Tues and Fri) are in Ballachulish - 5 minutes away. Fuel is available at Glencoe Garage about 2 miles away.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: Ballachulish

Postby DaveS » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Not recently - with the previous boat in fact - but I have once stayed there overnight. The deal then IIRC was that free use of the pool depended on spending over £10 on food and drink at the hotel. Fair enough. The weather was cold and wet so the warm pool was most welcome. Later that night, however, I felt quite unwell and suspected that the prawn croisant might not have been all it could be...

A bigger issue, which you can see when driving past, is that the pontoon tends to fill up with local small fishing boats, a not uncommon problem with visitor facilities...

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 pm

DaveS wrote:Later that night, however, I felt quite unwell and suspected that the prawn croisant might not have been all it could be...

Just how much later was this Dave? :)

I haven't been up that far for years but was thinking of heading that way next time I'm up. I'll report back if I find out what the deal is.
different colours made of tears

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:37 pm

probably about 3 days I would think
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Passages and Places”