Postby sam » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:49 pm

What no takers, not even a guess?
The photo was taken at a lunch stop, that night we anchored here:

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Re: Whereisit?

Postby SteveN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:43 pm

The Crowlin Isles, then on to Acarsaid Mhor, South Rona perhaps..?

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Another view of the latter:

BIG picture

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Is it the Crowlins? Certainly looks familiar but would you anchor there or tuck in a bit?

Deffo, Acairsaid Mor IMHO.

And we had it to ourselves! :-) But no cows - they were the other end of the Island. :-(

More Scotland '08.

Great pics Sam and Steve ta for posting 'em!

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Shiants

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Haven't been there, but will go soon... Great pics folks....

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi Steven and Markie,

The second photo is indeed Acairsaid Mor. A very peaceful anchorage on Rona, even though we were the nineth and last boat to arrive at 8.30pm. And no the first photo is not the Crowlins.

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi NorthUp2,

Yes the photo is of the Shiant Islands. A lovely stop off on the way to or from Stornoway. We arrived in settled weather as you can see. Once the engine is switched off, all you hear are the birds, lots of puffins. On the way ashore in the tender we had a very close encounter with a basking shark (two or three feet away), a small one but still about 12 feet long. No photos as my friend had a bit of a panic attack and couldn't get the camera to work on time.
Once ashore and hidden from view is a but 'n' ben, where we were amazed to meet three Dutch tourists who had rented it for a week. They were dropped off with their supplies for the week and left to it. There is a well for fresh water and you toilet in the rocks below the high water mark and it gets flushed twice a day! They were regular travellers to Scotland but had never experienced anything quite like this holiday. They said they had had visits every day from visiting yachts.
Delightful islands that I will visit again.
In this picture you can see another visiting boat and the pepple beach between two islands
A close up of the beach
The but'n'ben

NorthUp2
Able Seaman
Boat Type: colvic

Postby NorthUp2 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Did you sign the visitors book in the cottage? Is it still there?
Last time I was ashore there was probably 5 years ago, and the book then dated back to the 1950's.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:27 pm

sam wrote:Yes the photo is of the Shiant Islands.

Ahhh, didn't seem likely to be the Crowlins.

Amazing photo's Sam thanks, I really enjoyed them!

You might enjoy the book "Sea Room" by Adam Nicholson who is (or was) current 'custodian' of the Shiants. Excellent book IMHO.

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I was unaware that there's a visitors book. I do plan to return someday and I'll add my name. I was told about the book by the men on the other boat that was visiting, it was a return trip for a couple of them.
I googled for some more information and found this really interesting site. I was courious how much it cost to rent the house, but it's free although the cost of the return boat trip was quoted at £500 which I think is a bit steep.
http://www.shiantisles.net/index.html

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:48 pm

I didn't recognise it from the picci, but I visited the Shiants briefly a few years ago. From the blog:

1/7/03 0755 - 1850 Loch Maaruig to Shiants to Loch a' Bhraone 41.7nm

A N4 gave a fast, close hauled crossing to the Shiants. We anchored on the west side of the double beach then dinghied ashore. The climb up to the summit of Garbh Eilean was quite something. The first part was steep, but rocky with good holds. Thereafter followed an expanse of high angled dry grass, with few positive holds and no protection from the very obvious drop below. A slip simply wasn't permissable. The last part up a steepish gully was better. On top, occasional bonxies flying blind round rocky corners at chest height were a distinct hazard. The views from the summit were stunning, but slightly spoiled by thoughts of the descent to come. In the event, and taking it slowly, it wasn't too bad - although I was concious throughout that I was very much looking down on to the top of Avilion's mast!

After lunch a NE4 gave us a fast broad reach past Eilean Trodday into the sound of Raasay - accompanied by about 10 dolphins which played around us for several minutes. We anchored in Loch a' Bhraone just off the high, but well fendered, naval pier. A chap from the shore station advised us that we could tie up to it if we wanted since no boats were due, but since we'd already anchored by then we declined. This may have been a mistake since they probably get few visitors, and perhaps we missed a good party - who knows? Quiet night.

The cottage was locked when we visited, and we didn't know about a visitor book. Sea Room is very good, and includes accounts of manhandling sheep up and down the route to the summit of Garbh Eilean which I found hard enough unencumbered! I last read it on a narrow boat on the "stockbroker belt" part of the Thames, which was a wonderful contrast in all sorts of ways! I would like to go back some time and land on Eilean Mhuire.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 pm

The cottage was locked when we visited

A spectacular place.

We visited the first year we had Fairwinds (2003) on our way back from the first Herbridean Festival of Sail . . . it had a holidaymaking couple in it who said the place was like Picadilly Circus with visiting yachties, shepherds and tour boats!

Anchored overnight in a flat calm but could hear the chain graunching around over the boulders all night.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Passages and Places”