Cruising Med in September

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Cruising Med in September

Postby Falkirkdan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:44 am

I might have the chance to crew on a yacht in Sept on slow passage from Palma to Gib over 2/3 weeks.

Has anyone been in the that part of Med at that time and what would you expect with the weather.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Re: Cruising Med in September

Postby Falkirkdan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:56 am

Anyone any info for me. Thanks

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:44 am

Falkirkdan wrote:I might have the chance to crew on a yacht in Sept on slow passage from Palma to Gib over 2/3 weeks.

Has anyone been in the that part of Med at that time and what would you expect with the weather.

I spent a week on a yacht first week in Oct sailing down east coast of Majorca. Weather was pretty much the same as summer but a bit cooler. Very light winds at times the most we saw was a force 4. we did have one heavy rain sqall during one night but we were tied up in a marina, you wouldn't have known the next day. I think the weather is still pretty settled at that time. My mate keeps his boat in Bon Aire Marina near Pollensa and he reckons the weather can be a bit iffy towards the start of the summer.
As for night life it was very quite with a lot of places closing down for the year.

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:06 am

Sorry for delay, been away. We did it for a few years, a cruise to -from the Balearics in sept/oct once it had cooled down a bit and the summer crowds had subsided. I remember predominantly Easterly winds as we anchored in Les Iselots in Formentera, so you should have the weather and waves behind you for most of the time.
It will get friskier as you get nearer to the Gib 'funnel' and, as you probably know, 'cabo' means 'place you don't go too close in to' As for your quoted "leisurely pace" There are plenty of marinas, but they have a habit of being full, so the trick is to go in and tie up to the fuel berth or waiting quay rather than calling in prior to arrival, as they can refuse if asked....
The water will be at it's warmest, take your goggles.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Passages and Places”