Portavadie Again

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Portavadie Again

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Popped in on Monday afternoon, as previously reported the new place is stunning. I was so impressed I booked a table for this Saturday night for me and SWMBO, all I've got to do now is get her there! :lol:

I was told it can get very busy on Saturdays so if you are planning a visit to the restaurant it's better to book in advance.

Troonsometimes
Able Seaman

Re: Portavadie Again

Postby Troonsometimes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:20 pm

We should be heading from Troon to Largs on Friday night and then on to either Portavadie or Tarbert. Portavadie sounds good but we will need somewhere to get the barbecue fired up. Is there space there for a small barby and four merry sailors or would we be better in Tarbert?

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Yes there is a BBQ area next to the new building it has a Marquee and seating area, Give Robert a call at Portavadie Marina he is a very nice chap.

Troonsometimes
Able Seaman

Postby Troonsometimes » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 am

Thanks Booby Trapper,
We'll maybe see you there or on the way......

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:07 am

The BBQ area is used by themselves at weekends for BBQs. You must mind that they are a restaurant and there to make money so I do not see them letting you use the BBQ which is adjacent to the restaurant. If you wish to BBQ you will probably have to find another spot away from the restaurant maybe over to ferry terminal.

The restaurant is excellent we ate there last week, prices are reasonable and food and service first class. See attached link http://www.portavadiemarina.com/bar-restaurant.html Thay also do specials of the day. Everything is fresh and as far as possible locally sourced. Some pics

You are in for a treat with the tower at night.

As you will have heard the toilets and showers are the talk of the Clyde so thought you would like to see these, they have heated floors and the gents even have hair straighteners.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:05 pm

Should have also added that the marina is child friendly, if you take away the possible drowning chance. There is a large sand play area for kids with various bit of fun items at the end of restaurant. There is also a family bathroom complete with TV to keep the kids and I suppose the adults happy.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Sorry. Didn't realise that about the BBQ area I thought it was there for visitors to use. But I see the website says they do a Buffett BBQ at weekends 12-5, maybe it would be ok to use your own BBQ in that area outwith that time?

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:14 pm

I would give Robert a call to check, there are H&S issues as well as economic reasons of course but you will find lots of other areas you can use. There is the beach near the ferry terminal and I think there are picnic tables past the car park for the walks.

No matter what you will be guaranteed a good time and if no wind the midges. bigparty;

Troonsometimes
Able Seaman

Postby Troonsometimes » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:59 pm

No wind looks likely.
I will give a call on Friday to find out what is acceptable as I don't want to upset anyone for future visits to the restaurant etc. My friend takes great pride in producing the food for this weekend and I don't want to put him off either.
It looks like we may be motoring to Largs on Friday night and maybe not much sailing on Saturday either.
Still, the weather forecast doesn't seem to be accurate for anything more than an hour and a half in advance at the moment, so who knows.
We will be in a blue(ish) Trapper 500 so give us a wave if you see us drifting.......

Cheers,
Neil

Return to “Passages and Places”