Off for a long weekend

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Off for a long weekend

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Shearwater shall be venturing around the Clyde and Lochfyne area over the weekend, At the moment it looks like first stop tomorrow night will be Rothesay if anyone spots us over the weekend pop over and say hello.

Ian

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Re: Off for a long weekend

Postby Falkirkdan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 am

Booby Trapper Miss Sable is in Rothesay tonight (thurs) and we intend being here on Friday. Give us a knock.

Just ending a magic weather week. Roll on more global warming!! :D :D

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 am

Falkirkdan wrote:Booby Trapper Miss Sable is in Rothesay tonight (thurs) and we intend being here on Friday. Give us a knock.

Just ending a magic weather week. Roll on more global warming!! :D :D

So where did you get to Danny? and how about some pics, just incase anyone on this forum might be interested!
Hope you had a good time.
I am hoping to be in Millport bay or the Cumbrae centre pontoon tonight and dont know where tomorrow night.
C_W

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:01 am

Booby Trapper wrote:Shearwater shall be venturing around the Clyde and Lochfyne area over the weekend, At the moment it looks like first stop tomorrow night will be Rothesay if anyone spots us over the weekend pop over and say hello.

Ian

Good luck Ian, Will give you a hollar on the radio, listen for the call sign!

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:52 am

I don't fancy Cumbrae pontoon tonight, weather online for Largs shows NE winds, gust to 37mph Sat morn

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:I don't fancy Cumbrae pontoon tonight, weather online for Largs shows NE winds, gust to 37mph Sat morn

Neither did I Ian thats why I moored up in Millport bay for the night.
Hope you had screaming reels at Ardrishaig!
Spoke with the skipper of the Lord Nelson yesterday evening on the vhf and got some nice pics of her up past Fairlie bay.
Will stick a couple in soon, maybe one could be used for a calander or is that too boaty! :twisted: :twisted:
C_W

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:
Booby Trapper wrote:I don't fancy Cumbrae pontoon tonight, weather online for Largs shows NE winds, gust to 37mph Sat morn

Neither did I Ian thats why I moored up in Millport bay for the night.
Hope you had screaming reels at Ardrishaig!
Spoke with the skipper of the Lord Nelson yesterday evening on the vhf and got some nice pics of her up past Fairlie bay.
Will stick a couple in soon, maybe one could be used for a calander or is that too boaty! :twisted: :twisted:
C_W

No screaming reels at Ardrishaig walked about 2 miles along the canal and fished but never got a nibble had a great night in the Slainte Bar though.
Managed to hook this beauty today off Pladda

Went onto a mooring in Brodick bay last night at about 9 oclock water was like a millpond when we went ashore. At midnight when we came out of the Ormidale it was blowing a hooley from the South East Geting out on the dinghy and on to the boat was pretty scarey, we decided not to sit it out and headed round to shelter behind Holy isle. Once past the headland we were screaming along at 6.5 knots with just a reefed foresail in pitch darkness. An hour later we were safely anchored in another flat calm.
Apart from that short experience everything went great with some great sailing weather.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 am

Booby Trapper wrote:Managed to hook this beauty today off Pladda

You must explain to Para and myself how you did that.

Please.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 am

Fantastic Pollack Ian sorry if you were dissapointed with the fishing in the canal, will have to go along some day and show you how its done! :lol: :lol:
That fish looks like a three pounder, must have been some red kelp where you caught it,
incidently what bait or lure were you using?
Well done, C_W

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:23 am

Shard wrote:You must explain to Para and myself how you did that.

Please.

Can I sit in on the tutorial too please?
Derek

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 pm

I thought it was a pollock as well but when I got it home and cooked it I'm pretty sure it was coalfish. Comparing it with a couple of other smaller ones it tasted horrible and had a real slimey texture. It was darker that the others and they tasted OK. I'm sure they were pollock.
We were using 1 ounce jigheads with rubber worms on them drifting about 100-150 metres offshore from the lighthouse at Pladda. fishing in water 8-15 metres deep. When we did catch a glimpse of the bottom at times it did look like thick kelp.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Hard to see from the pic Ian, but the lateral line along the side of a pollack takes a steep downward dip about half way along its length which the Coalie doesent have.
I am still convinced it is a pollack, the size of its head and eye, also the large pectoral fin and its greeny colour.
For anyone who may be interested, if you catch pollack you should gut and wash them as soon as possible, if left overnight you will find them covered with thin white worms in the morning, these worms come out from their intestines, and can be hair raising if you have not seen it before.
C_W

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 pm

After that info Eamonn I think I'll just let the next one live to fight another day.
BTW it weighed in at just over 4 lbs

This little cod was bit smaller ( about 5 inches) but it's amazing what a bit of trick photography can do.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Good one Ian, although it looks like its just plippered Andy in the private devision. :lol:
C_W

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Good one Ian, although it looks like its just plippered Andy in the private devision. :lol:
C_W

Dunno, after a long weekend at sea having your gonads tickled by a cod is quite a thrill!!!

I'm told. :-)

Return to “Passages and Places”