Port Bannanyyne visit

Tell us where you've been, trade information
JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Port Bannanyyne visit

Postby JohnBuch » Mon May 25, 2009 11:01 am

Had a night in Port Bannantyne on Saturday. It's really shaping up well as a venue. Another long pontoon is being put in place this week. Pontoon's have good cleats unlike some marians on the Clyde. Approach feels a bit odd as the piles are in place for more pontoons and just stick out of the water - there seems to be clear water all round them but initially caused me to pause and wonder what the best way to go in was. Still no water or power on the pontoons but this is planned 'when money becomes available'. No dedicated toilet block but there are basic toilets in the portacabin beside the big workshed. There are public toilets across the road but they were never open any time I tried them.

A much more pleasant place to be based than Rothesay- feels quiet and rural. You can walk over the island using a new pathway which goes over to Etterick Bay. We had lunch in the Russian Tavern - really good food. The squat lobster bistro looks good as well 'though we opted for the carry fish and chips rather than sitting in. The little post office is being done up and does good coffee and buns with a few tables to sit in. The owners are sailors and very friendly.
Albin Vega 3040 Fleur

JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Re: Port Bannanyyne visit

Postby JohnBuch » Mon May 25, 2009 6:51 pm

Forgot to say... the Marina had an interesting approach to charging. When I asked how much it was for the night I was asked how much I usually paid at other Marina's! I said it depended on facilities bu maybe about £14. The guy was very easygoing and suggested I just pay that. I pointed out that there was no power or water on the pontoons and suggested he take a tenner, which he duly did.

Any comments about this as a way forward for marina pricing? :thumbsup:

John
Albin Vega 3040 Fleur

mr angry
Midshipman
Boat Type: moody 33 mk1

Postby mr angry » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:06 pm

I have got my boat laid up in the yard there and the guys are fantastic. They are very helpfull very reasonable as well when it comes to prices.

Workwise, the guy John is a craftsman in the true meaning of the term unlike some of the chancers in the large marinas elsewhere.

fjarvis
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson

Postby fjarvis » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi,

How is Port Bannatyne coming along? Are there many pontoons installed, do they have power and water on them yet?

Cheers,
fj

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:40 pm

fjarvis wrote:Hi,

How is Port Bannatyne coming along? Are there many pontoons installed, do they have power and water on them yet?

Cheers,
fj

i think all the pontoons are in place but no leccy or water as of last week.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:39 pm

re my last post - can i just confirm that, afaik, all the main pontoons are in place.
i believe it is intended to install fingers in the fullness of time altho` none are in place as yet.

fjarvis
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Colvic Watson

Postby fjarvis » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks for that. As I was planning on a couple of days visit I decided to go for Rothesay instead so that I could get some leccy and water - where I am posting from right now in fact!

Cheers,
FJ

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Hope you have paid Carlo your berthing fees otherwise he will send Dave after you :) :)

Return to “Passages and Places”