Clyde Wanderer - Trip report?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Mark
Old Salt

Clyde Wanderer - Trip report?

Postby Mark » Fri May 22, 2009 9:06 pm

C'mon, your public are waiting to hear about your trip into outer space!

The room must have stopped spinning by now!

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Re: Clyde Wanderer - Trip report?

Postby Pete Cooper » Sat May 23, 2009 4:47 pm

I reckon he didn't really go anywhere - the delay in posting is coz he is scouring the web for photos that are of the right area so he can perpetuate the myth of his trip :rotfl:

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Sat May 23, 2009 9:09 pm

o ye of little faith :lol:

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sat May 23, 2009 11:13 pm

Thanks for the support LBB :thumbsup: and the little faith in me Pete. :cry:
I am led to believe I am the first to fly the Burgee around the Isle of Mull and (but not sure) could be the first to fly it through the Crinnan and back?
We (4 boats,) eventually got away from the Cumbrae centre on the sat afternoon 9th and got into Tarbert quite late where we grubbed up and swallied down.
Sun morn we entered the Crinnan and made it to Cairnbann where I was very pleased to meet Bob and Lesley So_Sage_of_Lorn, thanks for comming along for the chat and my appoligies for not having you aboard for a drink but my crew was busy rattling up a lovely meal of the brown trout I caught while traveling up the cannal, we had hoped you could have joined us for a drink later that night, your abscence was noted.
Monday morn woke to decks covered with ice, "tg for the ebber".
After fueling up at Crinnan fuel pontoon we made our way under lovely sunny skies and flat greeny waters to Puldoran and of course the T an T where Nick met us with the pre ordered bread, "Thanks Nick and Kathy" it was much appreciated.
Next morn, tue, we had a fantastic goosewing sail up most of the sound of Mull after braving the unnerving tidal race on the south west side of the entrance to the sound.
Got into Tobermory just in time for a shower and a few pints.
Tober is not the most sheltered of marinas in east to northeast or southeast winds, but once we got into the Mishnish we tended to forget about the winds.
We stayed there another day as there were jobs to be done on all four boats and besides the beer was good and the Scallops from the van at the peer were excellent had to really fight the seagulls for mine, "a sign of good quality.
Thursday we left Tober heading for Ardnamurchan but decided to give it a wide berth in favour of heading more to the southwest against a strengthening southeasterly wind and a building sea which resulted in some hard fighting into a rather confused head sea making our way towards the Treshnich isles and Staffa which we left on our starboard side rather than going around it so missed the cave, well the main cave anyway.
After clobering our way south of Staffa we made the decision to take resbite in Bunnesan bay where we dwelled for the next two nights anchored in a somewhat lumpy sea in a bay which does offer good shelter but is a little exposed to the easterlies and is known as a foul anchorage so tripping lines would be recommended although I hadent used one, I was lucky and relieved to find my hook comming to the surface with my muscles and windlass still intact.
We had looked at anchoring nearer to the head of the main bay closer to Guiness and Magners, but were discouraged by the CCC guide for the area and the direction of the wind, instead settled for the bay off to starboard of the main bay.
I had set the anchor watch on the plotter but due to my poor mathamatical skills would have probably been in someones back kitchen before it went off :oops: as we discovered when we were departing there.
Sat morn we were woken at six o clock by Besula Bob who reckoned it was settled enough to make a dash for Colonsay which we did, enjoying the spectacular views down through the sound of Iona and keeping close to the sw corner of the Ross changed our plans and decided to make for Ardfern but keep Colonsay as a bolthole if things went sour,
14hrs later we arrived in Ardfern after getting the tides tottaly wrong at Fladda and making the mistake of leaving it to port instead of going around the north of it and heading the southeast wind more square on, which almost resulted in HB drifting on to Ballnahua, Spelling? island, from there we battled through wind and foul tide down the Luing and through Doris Mor in its worst state, described by one of the guys as a "giant jecuzzi", I reconned I was lucky if I had a 1/2 litre of diesel in my tank and was expecting to run out at any moment prompting me to fire up the 5hp Marinar ob and go through with both running and doubling my chances, or halving the chances of running aground in the event I should run dry of diesel, was really glad to get to Ardfern having learned a stark lesson, "Never let your fuel get so low"
After enjoying a shower after midnight at Ardfern, and a good sleep we were ready for Crinnan next morn and once again made our way to Cairnbann where we sampled a little more of the delights than we should have which left us all a little disolvable in the heavy rain on monday morning, where white proon like fingers saw us leaving the Crinnan and motoring down loch Fyne for the first hour or two when we were able to get some white on the horizan and blast down all the way to Largs and relieved but sad to be home.
All in all it was a great trip even though there were some small problems but nothing we couldent cope with.
I would do it again tomorrow if I could.
There will be some pics and vids added to this post later.
C_W

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun May 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I would do it again tomorrow if I could.

Sounds like a great trip - I don't suppose you'll be hanging around the Clyde for much longer. :)

I'm sorry that you were put off the anchorage at the Bunessan pier - I guess you must have anchored off the old Bendoran boatyard. The pier anchorage is well sheltered from most winds, the mud holding is perfect, and would have been fine in an easterly.

Other advantages for Bunessan pier include easy access to the Argyll Arms, and the possibility of cheap fish or shellfish from the boats at the pier.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun May 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Shard wrote:
Clyde_Wanderer wrote:I would do it again tomorrow if I could.

Sounds like a great trip - I don't suppose you'll be hanging around the Clyde for much longer. :)

I'm sorry that you were put off the anchorage at the Bunessan pier - I guess you must have anchored off the old Bendoran boatyard. The pier anchorage is well sheltered from most winds, the mud holding is perfect, and would have been fine in an easterly.

Other advantages for Bunessan pier include easy access to the Argyll Arms, and the possibility of cheap fish or shellfish from the boats at the pier.

Correct Donald, infact we were up at Oban over fri through to sat looking at all the estate agents to see what was on offer in the line of a one bedroom flat in need of extensive renovation, that;s the effect the trip had on me.
Bendoran was the bay indeed, with good holding and no fear of drying out, we did look at closer to the pier but was put off with the chop and openess to the wind, besides the ride on the back of a pick up truck out to Bendoran was extra hilarious after a belly full of Cider :lol:
C_W

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Bob and Lesley So_Sage_of_Lorn, thanks for coming along for the chat and my apologies for not having you aboard for a drink but my crew was busy rattling up a lovely meal of the brown trout I caught while traveling up the canal, we had hoped you could have joined us for a drink later that night, your absence was noted.

C_W

Our humble apologies, a series of family phone calls disrupted our plan, I did come up to Bellanoch bridge the following morning, however your mast heads were seen disappearing round the bend towards Crinan bridge. Glad you had an enjoyable trip with the best of the weather so far!

Bob
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Re: Clyde Wanderer - Trip report?Pics.

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon May 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Some pics of our trip, most will be self explanitary.
First night at Cumbrae centre, one or two of the guys missing here.
A brisk sail down west Kyle on the sat.
A drink in Tarbert on the sat night, What a dirty unkept beer garden at the Victoria.
Aproaching Ardrishaig on sun morning.
And about to enter the Crinan.
Somewhere along the Canal.
A Tasty dinner in hand, caught on the canal using a Rapala. :oops:
About to get tucked in.
Arriving at Crinan on the monday.
What a view of things to come.
Fuelling up, but obviousley not enough for some of us. :oops:
Heading out to Dorus Mor in Convoy.
And up through the Luing.
To Puldoran for the night.
Tucking into another healthy meal.
Before visiting the famous bridge.
And meeting up with the Master Nick and Kathy.
While our Minder Tom warmed up for the evenings events.
And I went outside to cool down.
And of course Tom had a ball.
Some of the gang took the north of Lady's rock route
Followed with a goosewing up the sound of Mull.
Arriving at Tobermory where we held up for a couple nights for some essential repairs.
Thursday we left Tobermory heading west and southwest towards The Treshnish isles and Staffa.
Next stop Bunessan and Bendoran bay and a dryland trip to the Argyll Arms hotel and a hilarious ride on a pickup truck.
Sat saw us leaving Bunessan and passing through the sound of Iona and on to Ardfern via the Garvellachs.
A view towards Scarba.
And some choppy sea's which Jim on Emma managed well solo.
The Garvellachs looming up in the distance.
Leaving Mull in the distance, and finnaly Emma returning through Dorus Mor.
Incidently We think Tom ate the two loaves and drank about 40 pints. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C_W

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue May 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Looks Like a great Trip Eamonn with a real mixture of weather. Was that 2 or 3 reefs on Besula?

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue May 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Reckon on two Ian as dont think he has three.

C_W

Stevie
Midshipman
Boat Type: legend 306

Postby Stevie » Sat May 30, 2009 4:07 am

Yes C_W a very good account of the trip, and I would do it again tomorrow as well

Mark
Old Salt

Re: Clyde Wanderer - Trip report?Pics.

Postby Mark » Sun May 31, 2009 4:29 pm

Some cracking shots, a few familiar places and a few unfamiliar! :-)

Trout looks pretty tempting.

I recal a GF having real trouble getting the shopping down the ladder at the Ardrishaig loch at low tide. Maybe I should have helped but then she'd never have learned! :-)

Love the sign.

Hummingbird looking at her best in a bit of chop - Besula looks prett good too!

Anyway, many thanks - I'm sure I'm not the only one who's really enjoyed 'em!

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun May 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum, yes wish I was still on the west side!
Enjoyed your company along with Tom and Frank, you missed the exciting bits though, but there's always again.
Will be interested to see your and Tom's pics.
Keep in touch, you can send private mail through here.

Thanks for your kind comments Mark, are you up for the next trip, which will be next yr?
Also thanks to the few of you who took the time to make a comment.
C_W

Return to “Passages and Places”