Otterferry - Magic!

Tell us where you've been, trade information
JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Otterferry - Magic!

Postby JohnBuch » Sun May 03, 2009 8:02 pm

Just back from a weekend trip to Otterferry, Loch Fyne - great venue. Good beer, good food and sheltered moorings for free! :D
Albin Vega 3040 Fleur

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Otterferry - Magic!

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sun May 03, 2009 9:50 pm

JohnBuch wrote:Just back from a weekend trip to Otterferry, Loch Fyne - great venue. Good beer, good food and sheltered moorings for free! :D

What, you mean you dident call in to visit the lovely marina lady in Tarbert? where one can have 10 different berths in one day for the price of one :thumbsdown: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Postby JohnBuch » Mon May 04, 2009 9:58 am

For once Portavadie looked pretty busy. I liked the marina lady when I met her last year - she gave me lots of ideas about what to do in New Zealand. Though it did occur to me that if New Zealand is that good why is she in the west of Scotland.

Heard from someone who went to the new restaurant at the marina that the service was pretty dismal - but may just be opening week gliches.

After two great days sailing have to get stuck into boat maintenance in the rain today :(
Albin Vega 3040 Fleur

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue May 05, 2009 12:59 am

JohnBuch wrote:Just back from a weekend trip to Otterferry, Loch Fyne - great venue. Good beer, good food and sheltered moorings for free! :D

It depends on how you define "for free", We had a night there 2 yrs ago and it cost us £65. OK we like to drink, but there was a good bit of food in there, it was more of a celebration stop than a "Can't be arsed cooking" stop to me. Nice food though, but not what I call cheap.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Tue May 05, 2009 8:50 am

aquaplane wrote:

It depends on how you define "for free", We had a night there 2 yrs ago and it cost us £65. OK we like to drink, but there was a good bit of food in there, it was more of a celebration stop than a "Can't be arsed cooking" stop to me. Nice food though, but not what I call cheap.

It changed hands at the begining of last season, the new people have a Westerly on one of the moorings, things have improved food wise, though I don't think it's any cheeper ;) :)
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Tue May 05, 2009 9:40 am

It was a great pity that the previous people, French chef married to English lady, to have the Oystercatcher let their once excellent standards drop. I believe it was partly blamed on the chef being in poor health. It was certainly then a special place for a meal so I wish the new owners every success and hope to sample their food this year.

Does anyone know if the new owners are continuing the Bastile day celebrations?

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Tue May 05, 2009 10:26 am

I concur.
The new owners took over last season and instantly the character of the place improved.
The previous owner (Dorothy?) was a legend in her own lunchtime, famous, or infamous for doing the her ironing in the bar as folk were having their dinner.
Although originally from Yorkshire the new family moved over from Tignabruich where they lived for some time.
Ken is a yottie and he dropped an additional mooring for his own Moodie. Crew and I stayed on one of the visitor moorings and after a boozy night with the wind rising he was good enough to do a VHF check we were back on board safely.
I don't know about Bastille day, but the family had a beach party with live music in a marquee and a mini beer festival which turned out to be a great night. The fire dancers performing on the beach were something to remember and there was talk of repeats.
So far the jury is out on Portavadie for food. One couple who went to the bertholders' lunch and thought it fine were less impressed on their return for dinner.
However, early days.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Tue May 05, 2009 6:38 pm

We called at Otter Ferry last July and haad a very nice bar supper. Reasonable price, and good choice on menu. Some regulars told us the menu was restricted that evening as the chef had a night off, but we found choice, price and quality were all good.
Ken

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed May 06, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm told that the new owners are making a good go of it, and I wish them well with their endeavours.

However, I for one shall miss that certain atmospheric je ne sais quoi, although things seem to have deteriorated after the previous owner 'Mr Miailhes called his neighbour a fat ****** English *** and added: “You should go back to where you came from.”'

ENTENTE CORDIALE BREAKS DOWN AT OTTER FERRY

HAVE you heard the one about the Frenchman and the Englishman who live and work next door to each other in Scotland? Well there’s no punchline, and the scenario is no laughing matter, after both men ended up in Dunoon Sheriff Court on Thursday January 5, over a heated dispute and accusations of racism.

Frenchman Alan Miailhes owns the Oystercatcher restaurant and bar in Otter Ferry, Tighnabruaich and stands accused of threatening behaviour and racially aggravated disorderly conduct towards his neighbour Englishman Malcolm Staines, who along with his wife runs the ‘Wee Shop,’ next door.
    The two businesses are less than 100 feet apart and are regular haunts for passing tourists and yachtsmen but in court it was alleged that 59 year-old Mr Miailhes called his neighbour a fat ****** English *** and added: “You should go back to where you came from.”

Mr Staines, who has a heart condition, claimed he was once friends with his French neighbour up until he applied for an off-licence for the ‘Wee Shop,’ whereupon he stated there was only animosity, including refusal of service in the pub.

But Mr Staines denied his complaint was a means to damage Mr Miailhes as a licensee, however the 57 year-old Englishmen also alleged that Mr Miailhes had threatened to go to environmental health officers over cooking food within his premises and the police over the condition of his van. Although not accusing the Frenchman of carrying out these threats Mr Staines was called upon by the Department of Transport and environmental health officers and noted that the police had received a complaint that he drove without a licence or insurance.

Mr Miailhes denies that he acted in a disorderly manner, shouted, swore, threatened Mr Staines with violence, made a racist remark and threatened to throw the Englishman’s car keys into Loch Fyne on July 11 in the Oystercatcher car-park, when it was alleged the Frenchman, whilst preparing for Bastille Day in memory of the French Revolution in 1789, charged up to Mr Staines as he sat in his vehicle on a disputed piece of land between the two men, whereupon Mr Miailhes is accused of being offensive, abusive and threatening by telling him: “Move your ******* van. I don’t park on your side, you don’t park here.”

The trial will resume in March when the defence case will be heard.

- Dunoon Observer, January 2005

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Wed May 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Dearie, dearie me! :o

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Wed May 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Shard wrote:'Mr Miailhes called his neighbour a fat ****** English *** and added: “You should go back to where you came from.”'

Insult? The sobriquet 'English' is the highest compliment it's possible to pay someone.

Return to “Passages and Places”