Portavadie Update

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Portavadie Update

Postby Falkirkdan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 am

Was speaking with Robert of Portavadie this morning.

The restaurant is nearly open for business with staff in place. This weekend 1st to 3rd May they have a few parties booked in. The restaurant will be fully open to the public on Monday 4th May. :) :)

As they have been moving into the new offices they are having problems with their email so a phone call over the next few days may be best way of contacting them.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Portavadie Update

Postby Aja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:12 pm

I receive a few photographs of the new facilities - via the construction company involved. The insides are absolutely stunning, with everything of a very high standard of finish, which does not surprise me in the least.

My parents were out for a drive last week and 'popped-in' to see 'how things were getting along' and bumped into Robert who stopped what he was doing and gave them a conducted tour of the new facilities, including a trip to the top of the tower which my Dad reported back that you can almost see Campbeltown!

I can't wait to get round there and sample the shore-side bits.

I have no connection with the organistaion - just interested!

Regards
Donald

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Postby Pete Cooper » Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 pm

We were going to sail to Portavadie on Saturday, but the inclement weather put us off.
We did however drive round, and thought that the new bar restaurant complex was really nice, and took a few pictures

A view of the outside from the pontoons . The ground and first floor both have a long room with a corresponding patio area outside.

This is a view looking along the ground floor bar, the upstairs is very similar.

The all important heating device for after a long hard wet sail!

And of course the even more important bar!

We didn't eat there as we had had a picnic on the way, but had a drink served by a very pleasant waitress. We did invest in a plate of chips and I can report that they were really good. Served piping hot, crisp on the outside, and soft all the way through. They were hand cut and were massive. Very tasty.

The menu was fairly plain, but seemed reasonably priced. The aforementioned chips were £1.75, but the most expensive dish was rib eye steak at £12.95. Starters ranged from £3 - £5.
Whilst we were there they had a BBQ/Buffet with all you can eat for £12.75.

I guess that the only minor issues are that there didn't seem to be a proper bar area - the whole room was laid for eating, and the choice of beer was Belhaven Best - not a bad beer, but there are better.

The toilets and showers seemed luxurious compared with most marinas, but a lot of that will depend on the usage and frequency of cleaning when the marina is really busy.

I look forward to taking the boat round so that I can sample more of the hospitality, and would recommend it to all.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Sun May 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Looks a bit upmarket for the next Scuttlebutt Cruise. I'm sure we could bring the tone down though. :lol:

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Looks a bit upmarket for the next Scuttlebutt Cruise. I'm sure we could bring the tone down though. :lol:

I'd like to help with the tone lowering but after viewing CW's video I've ripped my own vocal chords out with a fish fork. Drastic but less painful than a re-occurance.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Sun May 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Looks great hope to get up there soon.

Return to “Passages and Places”