Rothesay - Update2

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Rothesay - Update2

Postby Gordonmc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:58 pm

I am answering my own question (earlier thread).
The inner harbour is now officially open for business and I have the honour to stake the claim to be the first to fly the BM burgee within.
The object of the exercise was the get on a pontoon for a spring-clean, flush out the water tanks, charge up the batteries and generally slough off the effects of an over-winter on the mooring. As I approached the entrance the lights were on green, but as I got back in the cockpit after sorting the fenders they were red!.
Not only that the HM was waving his arms... but it was OK as he was telling me to carry on in. I was then instructed to hang around in the outer harbour for him to open the swing bridge.
After drifting around for five minutes or so the bridge opened and I was told to enter, but not go on the outside of the perimeter pontoon. The reason is obvious from the pontoon itself; a concrete ledge round round the harbour wall.
Berthing up was straigntforward although a couple of big mobos which followed me made much show of bowthrusting and engine revving. The pontoon finger was a bit short... the end was level with my sheet winches but, not a major problem.
I was still sorting warps when the man came for his money. He had just been taken on by Bute Berthing and hadn't been due to start for another week.
The overnight for my 30 footer was £15 which I thought was reasonable. Power is included.
Security may be an issue. The gate is controlled by a push-button mechanical combination lock, for which I was given the code. On coming back (sober) after shopping and a couple of sherberts I found the code wouldn't work. Neighbours on both sides on the pontoon had the same experience and got in by putting their arm through the fence and using the inside handle.
Some of the shell-suits hanging around found that most illuminating.
The only other concern is the bridge. It closes with a hell of a clatter and I was left wondering if it will last the pace.

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Re: Rothesay - Update2

Postby Pete Cooper » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:13 pm

I was talking to somebody yesterday who had been speaking to Dave of BBC - apparently Dave doesn't reckon the bridge will work for long either.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Any pics Gordon?
As regards security, I havent heard of any trouble there before the gates were put in place, lets hope it stays that way.
Are the pontoons still in situ at the outer half of the marina? (I dont mean the ones on the other side of the harbour)
Did you not call in to the Argyll to sample some of the owners musical talants? :twisted: :thumbsdown:
They say he is starting a group called 'Asprin and The Headaches' :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the update.
Incidently does anyone have an update on Port Banantine?
C_W

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:45 pm

C_W
Sailed past on Saturday on our way up the east Kyle. No evidence of masts there yet.

Donald

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks Donald, and a Very Happy Birthday to you.
C_W

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Any pics Gordon?
As regards security, I havent heard of any trouble there before the gates were put in place, lets hope it stays that way.
Are the pontoons still in situ at the outer half of the marina? (I dont mean the ones on the other side of the harbour)
Did you not call in to the Argyll to sample some of the owners musical talants? :twisted: :thumbsdown:
They say he is starting a group called 'Asprin and The Headaches' :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the update.
Incidently does anyone have an update on Port Banantine?
C_W

I have a feeling the security problem will be that berthers will get fed up of not being able to get in using the combination lock. Peeps were already propping the door open on Saturday.The man collecting dues was telling me it would not last long as he was writing down the code!
The outer harbour pontoons are still there and in operation. The silting on the town side is getting bad, though and I wonder if they will be doing any capital dredging anytime soon.
I decided to forgo the Argyll and went in search of Duechars IPA in the Black Bull instead. I had a look in the Golfers but there were no hand-pumps on and the place was full of rough boys (and rougher women).
I took some pics...will post later.

Return to “Passages and Places”