Yacht down at Anstruther?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Yacht down at Anstruther?

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Has anyone heard anything of this incident?
My Brother in law tells me one of his mates has sunk his 40ft odd, boat while entering above harbour but dident get any details yet, sadly it was his only home too.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: Yacht down at Anstruther?

Postby DaveS » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Yes, saw a report in the Fife local squeak while I was visiting my mum. Apparently it sank at the harbour entrance and a MFV couldn't get in and had to go elsewhere. I think it's now ashore for fixing.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:11 am

If you google 'yacht sunk anstruther' - these April 2009 videos come up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpmBDa5BHbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0EVQ6p3koI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch6Ll54YcLQ

Sorry - Haven't learnt how to embed yet

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:45 am

What were those clowns 'rescuing' it doing in video 3? They seem determined to finish the job and wreck the rig as well.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Nick wrote:.
What were those clowns 'rescuing' it doing in video 3? They seem determined to finish the job and wreck the rig as well.
Yeah, 'angin's too good for 'em.

Err,,, where is the Lounge, please?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Dear Mr. Shard,

The forum is currently considering appointing a moderator with special responsibility for political correctness. Your name has been put forward and we will be in touch. In the meantime, we suggest you take a pill.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 pm

On reading reports of the incident it would appear that it was the RNLI in action in video 3 and that the priority was to clear the harbour entrance. Once that was done the RNLI's part in the drama was over and the yacht was left sunk just inside the breakwater. The RNLI's mission is to save lives, not salvage yachts - so you can't blame them. It must have been heartbreaking though for the owner to see his pride and joy being treated like that.

Yacht appears to have been the 'Lovely Lady of Leith'

Here's where she apparently ended up after the scenes in video 3:

Anstruther lifeboat report and another picture

Another report of the incident

A sad waste of what looks like a nice yacht and particularly tragic if she was a liveaboard. Anyone know what happened?
- Nick 8)

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 pm

Nick wrote:.
On reading reports of the incident it would appear that it was the RNLI in action in video 3 and that the priority was to clear the harbour entrance. Once that was done the RNLI's part in the drama was over and the yacht was left sunk just inside the breakwater. The RNLI's mission is to save lives, not salvage yachts - so you can't blame them. It must have been heartbreaking though for the owner to see his pride and joy being treated like that.

Yacht appears to have been the 'Lovely Lady of Leith'

Here's where she apparently ended up after the scenes in video 3:

Anstruther lifeboat report and another picture

Another report of the incident

A sad waste of what looks like a nice yacht and particularly tragic if she was a liveaboard. Anyone know what happened?

My brother in law hasent heard from her owner yet but will in due course as he is one of his mates.
Judging from the look of the video's I would say she ran aground and got stuck in mud, afaik Anstruther is only suitable for bilge keelers, maybe someone can correct me on that, I am sure I read in one of the yachting rags, the issue where they listed the marina annual fees from cheapest to most expensive in the UK, Anstruther been the cheapest but only suitable for bilge keelers.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:27 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:
afaik Anstruther is only suitable for bilge keelers, maybe someone can correct me on that, I am sure I read in one of the yachting rags, the issue where they listed the marina annual fees from cheapest to most expensive in the UK, Anstruther been the cheapest but only suitable for bilge keelers.

The marina bit in the inner harbour is afaik indeed only suitable for bilge keelers. Deeper keeled yachts can take the ground in the inner harbour against the walls and also in the outer harbour where depending on draft and tide state they may stay afloat- mine does at neaps. Fish and chips are really good if you can be bothered with the queue.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Judging from the look of the video's I would say she ran aground and got stuck in mud, afaik Anstruther is only suitable for bilge keelers, maybe someone can correct me on that, I am sure I read in one of the yachting rags, the issue where they listed the marina annual fees from cheapest to most expensive in the UK, Anstruther been the cheapest but only suitable for bilge keelers.

I posted this a while back - Ash's Post

It contained these pics

Image Image

On this occasion one of the RNLI guys gave it a good go trying to drag her into deeper water using a 4X4 on the jetty. The RNLI big worry would be a restriction on their ability to launch the lifeboat.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Return to “Passages and Places”