Donegal

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Mehitabel
Able Seaman

Donegal

Postby Mehitabel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Planning for this summer's cruise (2nd week June) is well advanced, except I haven't decided where to go yet! Clyde based, and since I will be single-handing this year I am planning to avoid the Crinnan anal. I know you can hire chaps to help you through, but that starts adding to the cost. So, current options are south to the Isle of Man (probably Peel) via Portpatrick and then back via N. Ireland, or west round Malin Head to Donegal. The latter currently appeals more. Having shelled out for the new edition of the Irish Cruising Club SDs I get the impression it's a lovely area. The challenges of possible heavy onshore swell, tortuous entrances (Mulroy bay), outdated chart coverage, questionable shelter in some anchorages etc. would provide added interest. Anyone have any recommendations for the area? Must sees, best avoideds, under no circumstancess etc?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Donegal

Postby Telo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Portatrick and Peel are great to visit (Peel can get a nasty swell in the outer harbour, but fine once inside the lock gates), but, on the basis that west is generally best, I'd be more inclined to sail from the Clyde via Campbeltown/Sanda and Ballycastle/Rathlin, and then working west with the tides to Donegal.

Haven't singlehanded the passage, but we visited Donegal for a short time at the end of our Ireland circumnavigation in 2005. From Port na Frankagh in Co Mayo, we sailed across to Donegal and called at Teelin Harbour, Rossillion Bay (Aranmore), Inishirrer, Portsalon, Rathmullan, Fahan, and then, Portrush (we came in with a F6 behind us - not recommended), Ballycastle, and back to Ardrossan.

LJS of this Forum knows the are well - his comments will be helpful. And Nick's Ireland Circumnavigation is well worth a read.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:09 pm

I've had odd thoughts along these lines for a number of years.

One point: does anyone know what, other than a courtesy flag, (e.g. SSR, ICC?) is needed for visiting RoI?

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Nout. We popped in to Howth on the way back from Wales last Dec. Just like anywhere else.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:47 pm

As far as I am aware, you don't need anything when visiting Ireland (Republic of) other than the aforementioned courtesy flag.

However we did carry extra documentation, as we would on any extended cruise, just in case something went seriously wrong;
    ICC and RYA Day Skipper Certificates
    SSR Registration (since expired - like Nick I put my reminder letter behind the clock on the mantelpiece and forgot about it)
    VHF Certificates
    Ship's Radio Licence
    Passports

To be honest, I don't think anyone in the RoI was in the least bit interested in any of that gubbins, and we experienced nothing but friendliness everywhere we went.

PS: for the OP, about Aranmore (Árainn Mhór), give Chapel Bay a wide berth; it has one of the gloomiest anchorages - I'm not superstitious, but the bay is overlooked by a huge cemetery and it is devoid of any interest whatsoever. Nearby Rossillion Bay is much more pleasant - houses, fishing boats......

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:59 pm

DaveS wrote:I've had odd thoughts along these lines for a number of years.

One point: does anyone know what, other than a courtesy flag, (e.g. SSR, ICC?) is needed for visiting RoI?

Just a Tri colour and feel free to hang a Guiness T shirt on the sb spreader, it will go down very well, as always. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ljs
Old Salt
Boat Type: Sadler 34

Postby ljs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Mehitabel wrote:The challenges of possible heavy onshore swell, tortuous entrances (Mulroy bay), outdated chart coverage, questionable shelter in some anchorages etc. would provide added interest. Anyone have any recommendations for the area? Must sees, best avoideds, under no circumstancess etc?

As an inhabitant of Mulroy Bay, the tortuous entrance isn't as bad as it looks. A detailed chart or chartplotter will sort you out and the shelter inside the first narrows (Fanny's Bay) is first class. Also have never found a problem getting in or out at all states of tide, even tho it runs upto 4 knts mid-tide springs.
Sheep Haven is more exposed. You can tie up to the pier at Downings short-term, but only towards the outer end and fishing boats land their catch there regularly. Best anchor round the corner in Pollcormick inlet which is nice but watch out for fishermens 'keep' boxes. Good pub at the Downings Inn. Other anchorages here strictly fair weather only.
Tory Island (harbour) worth a visit. Lovely fair weather anchorage further inshore on the north side of Inishbofin Island (Toberglassan Bay)
Lough Swilly ok, but only real shelter is in the marina at Fahan. Portsalon often bouncy, prefer Leenan Bay on the other side, and there's an old army camp on the headland.
There's plenty beyond Bloody Foreland too.
In windy weather it can be swelly, though you'll hardly meet another boat - unless you meet me coming back from Scotland mid-June
Pm me if you want more. You can even borrow my mooring in Fanny's Bay if I'm away. It's about 1 mile walk across headland to shop/pubs at Downings.

Mehitabel
Able Seaman

Postby Mehitabel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks all, useful info. LJS, I may take you up on the offer of further info, particularly on your view of the pilotage into Mulroy Bay in the ICC SDs, and the mooring if I get there - thanks for the generous offer. Will drop you a PM sometime as suggested.

Unfortunately I only have a week so ambitions beyond Bloody Foreland will have to wait for another year. A big plus of the Donegal direction is that Islay/Gigha would provide attractive alternative destinations if I chicken out of rounding Malin Hd. in the prevailing conditions.

Noticed the rather unfortunate typo in my original post too late, sorry! The Crinnan Canal is of course a beautiful and sweet smelling diversion, and not atall a hairy experience! :digging: :)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:41 pm

Tee hee! I thought it was deliberate, although I also thought the nn was a typo until your most recent post. All of which only goes to show just how wrong you can be. :)
different colours made of tears

ljs
Old Salt

Postby ljs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:24 pm

Posted this somewhere here before but this is anchored in Toberglassan Bay, Inishbofin, with Tory Island in the distance

PS I thought that Silkie was a shampoo and conditioner - just shows how wrong you can be

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:35 pm

TFT, I hadn't seen it before.

Which type of anchor are you using? :twisted:

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 pm

I thought that boat-owning hairdressers were all mobos. Just goes to show.

ljs
Old Salt

Postby ljs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Have a CQR which came with the boat, tho on the last boat (Sadler 32) had a Bruce (copy). Used to think the Bruce was the beesknees tho I quite like the CQR. But now I just sling a bottle of Pantene ProV over the side, cos I'm worth it
Last edited by ljs on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Yer a marketing man's nightmare, ljs.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Rathmullan

Postby Telo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:05 pm