Rothesay and Port Bannatyne

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Rothesay and Port Bannatyne

Postby Aja » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:03 pm

I know that there has been a thread going about the epic saga that was the development and money spent doing up Rothesay's inner harbour. I have heard from a reliable source however, that the new pontoons in the inner harbour will be restricted to boats under 10 metres. This is due to the distance between pontoons and the estimated turning circles required to navigate safely in and out of the pontoons.

At last, though, there looks to be a viable alternative to Rothesay, however. Port Bannatyne Marina will be up and running mid-April. Details can be found at http://portbannatynemarina.co.uk/

Regards
Donald

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Rothesay and Port Bannatyne

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:03 am

Aja wrote:I know that there has been a thread going about the epic saga that was the development and money spent doing up Rothesay's inner harbour. I have heard from a reliable source however, that the new pontoons in the inner harbour will be restricted to boats under 10 metres. This is due to the distance between pontoons and the estimated turning circles required to navigate safely in and out of the pontoons.

At last, though, there looks to be a viable alternative to Rothesay, however. Port Bannatyne Marina will be up and running mid-April. Details can be found at http://portbannatynemarina.co.uk/

Regards
Donald

Thanks for that Donald, good to know.
Now I see an oppertunity there to punt a good web site Nick, a few photo's are worth a million words.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:45 am

Now I see an oppertunity there to punt a good web site Nick, a few photo's are worth a million words.

Always happy to offer a generous commission to anyone getting me suitable work Eamonn :-)

PS have received your PM and will reply soon
- Nick 8)

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Postby Daveanmucker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:03 am

Very interesting thread, thanks for it. My boat is under 10m so should not have a problem. However she is a long keel boat and I'm afraid she often won't go where I want when going astern, so a tight space can be a bit hairy.I will check out Kames, Having said that I do like going to Rothesay, very friendly place.

Does anyone else with a long keel boat find they have to be good ar acting, pretending that that was the way you intended to turn.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:39 am

I was on Bute at the weekend (by ferry and car/foot), admiring the completed works at Rothesay and had a look at developments at Port Bannatyne. There's a new sturdy sea wall and several piles are in place. There were many steel frames lying on the shore that looked as though they could become pontoons if they had flotation and decks attached. There was also much industry connected with them, even on Sunday. But to my inexpert eye, it all looked to be a few months at least from a fully operating set of berths.
It's a bit of a rundown looking place, but I'm told the Russian restaurant is quite special (not yet open for the season) and there's a less fancy seafood eaterie. It was Sunday morning when I was there, but from outside the several pubs looked "interesting" in the sort of way that Jane doesn't miuch like.
Saturday night in Rothesay didn't turn up a commendable watering hole either, but the research programme wasn't comprehensive.
Derek

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:54 pm

The secret to reversing Claymore is to wait and see what happens then make out it was what was intended in the first place.
Occasionally it all goes wrong when she does exactly as we wanted - its the look of surprise on our faces that gives us away...
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Re Rothesay, does the new basin mean the end of the other pontoons? They were long enough for larger boats.
Our Claymore does what it's told, only sometimes there appears to be someone else doing the telling...
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Nick wrote:

Always happy to offer a generous commission to anyone getting me suitable work Eamonn :-)

PS have received your PM and will reply soon

Believe Nick I have tried any time I seen an oppertunity, and always will do.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 am

sahona wrote:Re Rothesay, does the new basin mean the end of the other pontoons? They were long enough for larger boats.

The east (outermost) part of the harbour has older pontoons. I think these were there before (though I'm not very familiar wit the place) and have room for a few boats up to at least 12m.
There is also still a single linear pontoon west of the Victorian conveniences but it was looking decidedly ramshackle and exposed to the NW wind on Saturday.
Derek

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks Derek.
The long one blew away last year I think, so it looks as if it was found and reinstated rather than being renewed.
Maybe it's days are numbered now.
For those interested in the general area, there were (are?) visitors moorings at Auchenlochan, Kames and Kilchattan hotels.(plus a few more I haven't discovered I'm sure)
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:38 pm

My friend (yes I have the odd, ok very odd friend) popped into Port Bannatyne on 19th april to have a look. There is one long pontoon running behind the breakwater and another pontoon in use. There were boats moored up and it is up and running work will continue over the year to complete and install the other pontoon. Depth is 2.5mt below chart datum. See http://portbannatynemarina.co.uk/#

Return to “Passages and Places”