Italy * Elba * Corsica info anyone?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Italy * Elba * Corsica info anyone?

Postby sahona » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:44 pm

We're off to Pisa area on a boat for a week at the end of April.
Anyone got advice on "must do - must avoid" places?
Probably starting in Livorno.
boat is not a raggie, but I crave your indulgence as we will be cruising nicely, not annoying
anyone who doesn't do it to us first.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Re: Italy * Elba * Corsica info anyone?

Postby Rowana » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Last time I was in Livorno was over 30 years ago. I was on a wee bit bigger boat at the time too - 15,000 ton tanker!

Pisa was lovely, from what I remember of it :D
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

trouville
Able Seaman

Postby trouville » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:09 am

The area you are visiting is the best crusing ground in the med!To see it you should allow at least 2 years.

Livorno is the birth place of Italian comunisum.The police are rough though that wont be a problem if you dont tie up on the breakwater(free)As you enter the portyou will see the club pontoons,tie up either to the key just before or to the outer pontoon then either wait for someone to come along or go accross to the “huts” to see if anyones there,normaly you can have a place for a week or so without problem & not to costly.

3 days should be enought.Livorno is quite large.One street has all you need.The best fresh pasta good bread & a popular place to eat.Theres also a good laundry shop to print your photes buy paint varnish & another for tools copper nails.A short walk & you can find very good wine in bulk,another short walk and anti fouling costs 50€ for 5liters or 100€ for 100 liters from the ship yard,good stuff

3 days one to stock up,one to vist pisa another to see Lucca you could go to Florence as well though today you will have to pay the IC price not local train every year there are less local trains.

Pisa you can stay up the Arnau under trees that rain sticky tar on deck,its now pay at one (literaly) of the pontoons along the river bank.It is full as every where the only chance for a stay is at a pontoon quite a way up to find it look for a large fishing boat moored in front of his house ( i dont have his address hear as i post )he probably hasnt got a place & its not worth the bother as its quite a bus ride into either town (pisa or marina de pisa) IF you really want to stay on the river ask at the fish market at the entrance to the river hes there almost every day youll find him easly otherwise ask at the engine shop about 1km up river.

Pisa is a tourist town very expensve & you have to pay for everything.Shopping for parts varnish can be better than Livorno but take a long time need a bike at least.Can see pisa in 2 hours marina de pisa is a large very open quite (off season) “village”not worth a vist unless you tie up at the fish mkt.Be careful for trees & large branches zooming down stream.

Lucca is a walled city when you leave the train stn (power up your GPS) (good conection from Livorno) you see the city walls find an entrance & enjoy.Interesting shopping (expensive)for lunch listen for the clater of knifes & forks on plate if you hear that youve found a cantine great food good value.When your there the best resurant (still affordable 6 years ago when i was last invited by a Sardinian woman) is easy??? to find be sure to take a GPS its opposite the prison which is in the cornzr as far as possiable from any entrance/exit.No doubt the prison is now a 5 star ‘price wise” hotel?? The Resurant is 3 star and has a list of the rich & famous that have eaten there,worth haveing lunch there.For Italy its amazingly good value for Europe its still “inexpensive”for a top resturant,which it is Use GPS to retrace your route to exit.

Florece is well connected by train from Livorno worth a visit,take sandwiches and a bottle with you or a visa gold to eat at a florence snackbar/pizzaria

Back in Livorno to find the road with the laundry, as you walk to town first you will cross a lifting bridge note the small port to starboard as you cross. Leave the port once on the main road turn to starboard cross over when possiable you will pass an expensive chandlers just befor the canal at the canal you can turn to port follow the canal for about 100m there on a small square is a better value chandler that gives 20% if you look as if your working on the boat. if you continue along the canal you come to the daily covered market expensive good cafès one with seats(no extra charge) There theres also a weekly mkt very good value lots left for free later outside the covered one

Not far from the mkt (‘ask where the standa is & head in gen direction) thers a phone shop that can repair unblock phone & sells good value s/h to replace the one gone overboard!!If you need a phone smell them first Italian girls leave there scent on the phone,an Italian girl changes her phone at least every 6months a looks after it; men every 2 years!The mks around there are all expensive.Sunday theres a fless mkt (expensive flees)

Back to the port you left the port arrived at the canal now cross the canal and walk on: the port you saw from the lift bridge is to stb walk on untill you see an open square to port there a venician has a glass shop pass the square then at the next large road with traffic lights turn to port there you will see a “brass boat shop” opposit & the paint shop head down the road & at once you will find the laundry opposit is a good value cafe pass the laundry next is the pasta shop walk further untill you find a crowded resturant lunch & evening can just have a sandwich (good costly)& btl of red or white the price is what they think you can pay

Should pay abt 10€ for good lunch ditto evening must reserve) to keep cost down.Wine is included several btls are on the table keep your glass at least half full when the btl nearest you is below half take a full one and pass the other down table,if the waiter thinks you have emptied a btl or two they sometime charge you an extra 2€ dont take coffee.If you need plumbing tile laying or cement work aboard? There is the place to find someone.Remember in Italy if you pay cash its 40% discount,Dont ask about bad debts or they will tell you how hard it is to be paid.The yard owner also eats there good time to ask to be hauled while haveing an apro at bar.

After lunch head back to town on the opposite side of the road is a tool hardwear shop OK on same side as resturant go into the first cafe for coffee & brandy good brandy good coffee good value seats & table at no extra charge.

Stock up on fruit veg & anything you need for the boat as the islands get everything from there plus shipping!

trouville
Able Seaman

Postby trouville » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:10 am

From Livorno to Elba.get well out to sea its more comfortable when theres a swell theres no where to anchor as its very shallow,that is for most. I stop in solvay follow the bouyed chanel good town freindly woman Italian beach( no tourists)empty now;free moorings max dept 1m20/Im50 (in chanel to peir about 10m??? Deep enough for any sailboat at least do not leave chanel without constent soundings hard sand)

The chanell to solvay is about 10 mile from a sand bank i anchor in 4m to 6m for lunch on route & for the pleasure of being there.Its marked by a very large iron sea mark you can row to the sandbank & picknik there take a pic of you boat anchored at sea!

Later theres a fabulouse bay opposite & north of Elba would be an ideal stop if there wernt jet skis a mobts all year untill sunset

Elbas great portferrio is now costly 5 seasons to maximise the cost very noisy on road moorings.Great mkt good cafès.You can anchor in the bay which is open but with care good holding (mud) can blow but you can stay in saftey.Its a long way with the tender and choppy with the cat ferries that put out a horriable wash.

Free places on key (transite) in front of shopping center by ferries (unless they closed it) rough wild but easy well placed for shore, anchor(CQR as the danforth hold sooo well in mud it becomes very hard to lift it after a few weeks CQR hold really well but easier to break out when above it) with max scope leave stern line about 10 m off for swell can pull your self in a jump off passerell,you will get the hang of it in time remember its FREE!!!That helps

Great shopping fun (window shopping) can find working things cloths etc good mkt more expensive lowwer quality than Livorno(where it comes from) Visit Napolians house really worth while drink at more expensive cafè at lunch time(check snacks first) the snaks are better than lunch;sometimes the same but free with a drink,one drink can go a long way.Mks weekly leaves enough fruit veg & cracked/broken egs over to last the next week.Eat without extra cost.

Portoferrio is rough but fun,personaly i prefer Port azzuro, on the way stop at Cavo, i think its still free for 2 days on the pontoon with water & power (they count me a resident & have done since 1988 when i first stayed a summer there rather than protoferrio which was then free)If not tie up to the sea wall anchor and line dont take existing line or someone will come round and untie you at worst,great village white sand on the roads good supermkt expensive but very usefull he will put your squid in his deep free overnight to de- toughen it.When you see bubbles drop your squide line an jiggel!!

Cavo has the best crane anywhere good price get water at fuel stn very freindly dont shop at the hard ware shop she cheats hes ok!!(even locals) good outboard mechanic yard metalwork shop all can be found around this very small village even a fast ferry to Italy great cafès a post office!! the white sand blowing lazily about the streets the sun warm soon best time to be theres now.

Rio marina a few miles along the coast black sand musalins daughter has a cafè or had sells bad fruit & the worst wine ive ever had nor particularly cheap in price dirty but great veiw.The village has a dive shop good harwear shop if you need anything

Rio marina has good supermarket good fish shop costs but you can choose your fish & cut worth it from time to time tie up on the key to stb in front of pontoons its free the club might move you on can try great port to spend a few days or a few weeks can blow hard one anchor holds very good holding i put out a second when the blows forcast “just in case”Really nice place rough but with atmospher

next Port Azzuro anchor in one of the bays good holding with danforth sand mud i row to port or bike from the bay under the prison. The tows great good diveing shops/boats hear very conpetative prices recommend it;Good bulk red & white sold in town good shopping,I rent a scooter hear to get about the island or to go shopping in portoferio when stocks are low.He dosnt give discount to anyone how ever much you rent his scooters, Great place to stay & providing no storms are forcast,to see the island by scooter best way.

After that there are many many bays empty peaceful with sand or pebble beaches & other fishing ports with moorings without cost either on the key or at anchor as you prefer. So many my post would be to long.

Next Corsica that is a large island allow at first about one year at least next post!

trouville
Able Seaman

Postby trouville » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm

Read your post properly! Ill post more about local things to do places to go.How far can you go?

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:44 pm

Bloody hell Trouville you do give folk there money's worth. :lol:
Has your tongue ever got sun burned? :?:

trouville
Able Seaman

Postby trouville » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:18 pm

I see your useing a motor boat based in Livorno.Where to go?It wont be worth going up to cinq terra even by train

Take the train to Pisa the train times will have changes as they cut trains in the past theres a train to pisa around 7.30 next (fast train) is around 11.30 then 14.30 if you use that or local slow one to Pisa spend the morning sight seeing then catch the midday IC to Florence retuning with the 22.00 train

Livornos not very touristic & if you havnt long a week or so, power off to Elba enjoy a wonderful week enjoying the peace in scenic bays the slow pace of Port Azzuro or the hectic loud life tied up in porto ferrio best if you land there to visit the tourist office where you can plan your stay in fine detail

When its time to retern your boat check the weather,though its very rare that you would be held up by weather,and either enjoy a fast smooth power ride back to base or enjoy the exhilaration as you power over sea throwing spay up with the occasional boomph as you come off a wave to fast.Livorno s just near enough that you wont quite wish the sea was calmer as the fun wears off

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 pm

Since I opened this post, There has been an earthquake in Italy and the mobo's owner has seen his company fold in UK, so things may change....ho hum.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm

sahona wrote:Since I opened this post, There has been an earthquake in Italy and the mobo's owner has seen his company fold in UK, so things may change....ho hum.

That sort of puts things in perspective. I'm sort of glad that I'm in a secure job but wouldn't be too dissapointed to have to take early retirement just now.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Passages and Places”