Avilion's summer cruise - update

Tell us where you've been, trade information
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Avilion's summer cruise - update

Postby DaveS » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:18 am

Well phase one has been successfully completed. The boat's now in Kirkwall, the car's at Craobh, I'm in Cumbernauld but off to Newcastle tomorrow...

It's been a great fortnight: mostly good weather, over 400 miles covered and 19 new island summits reached.

I had one nasty fright: the north end of Rousay Sound has much less depth than the chart shows: a minimum of 4m is claimed but, at LW neaps, I found only 2m. I reckon that an attempt at LW springs would involve grounding - no fun at all in a 6 knot tide!

All will be written up in the blog in due course...

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:43 am

This lack of watter wid be nae problem tae a mon in an unsinkable boat?

I was just thinking - TCM has just taken retirement so is probably hanging around with nothing to do......
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Avilion's summer cruise - update

Postby Silkie » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:19 pm

DaveS wrote:and 19 new island summits reached.

FFS that's more than one a day. How did you find the time to sail the 400 miles?

You didn't say how long your Newcastle jaunt was to be but I'm headed north tomorrow if a lift to Craobh is of any use.
different colours made of tears

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:04 pm

This lack of watter wid be nae problem tae a mon in an unsinkable boat?

Claysie . . . surely one of your less pertinent observations?

What use is an unsinkable boat in water not deep enough to sink a sinkable boat? Utter waste of unsinkability IMHO.
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:05 am

Au contaire my old Portal....the bold skipper did suggest that he found this lack of water at LW neaps. Now I'm not entirely sure about Balvicar but in most other places that I've been, LW is normally followed by HW at some point and it has been my experience that at HW there is more water - specifically - the water is deeper than at LW - hence the possibility of sinking and so I believe my reference to the Etap's unsinkability was both relevant and pertinent.

Stick with your old Uncle Claymore and don't be afraid of asking questions
Regards
Claymore

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:14 pm

Silkie wrote:
DaveS wrote:and 19 new island summits reached.

FFS that's more than one a day. How did you find the time to sail the 400 miles?

You didn't say how long your Newcastle jaunt was to be but I'm headed north tomorrow if a lift to Craobh is of any use.

Thanks for the offer, but I was planning to just leave the car at Craobh until I get the boat back there. Back from Newcastle earlier today and spending tomorrow on paperwork. On Tuesday morning I get the 0707 train from Glasgow to Inverness then train to Thurso, bus to J o' G's, ferry to Burwick and bus to Kirkwall arriving 1700ish to start phase 2. I've a spare train ticket from Glasgow to Thurso if anyone wants it...

The new island tally... The full story will be written up in due course, but we managed 3 a day on 3 days, 2 a day on 3 days, 1 a day on 4 days and none on 3 days.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Postby DaveS » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:24 pm

claymore wrote:This lack of watter wid be nae problem tae a mon in an unsinkable boat?

It wisnae sae much sinkin that wis worryin me, mair the thocht o gettin odd usefu bits o boat - like the rudder, say - chawed aff by the rocks ...

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Aye - ah ken that wid be a worry Davey - but ye nivver know - a bit less rudder may help ye keep up wi ma fine craft - d'ye remember last year when we oot sailed ye aff Loch Aline...weel ma crew wiz saein - tae a man "Perhaps yon Etap hes ower mich ae a rudder - she shuid be able tae keep up wi ye really Claymore..." Whilst ah'm no wan fer playin ma skills doon - they micht ae hed a point?
Drag ye see, Davey....Drag.
Regards
Claymore

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:08 pm

DaveS wrote:I've a spare train ticket from Glasgow to Thurso if anyone wants it...
eBay, or Stingo's Nautical Emporium, perhaps?

Re the cruise and the peaks, looking forward to the full story.

Regards

D

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Further update

Postby DaveS » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:18 am

Phase 2 complete. The boat's now in Inverness and I'm in London for the day: down on the sleeper last night and going back up tonight. The new island tally now totals 26 and the mileage is about 650. :)

On the train ticket: it was a special deal: 2 returns anywhere in Scotland for £10 each so I choose Thurso to Glasgow...

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

And another update...

Postby DaveS » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:53 am

Phase 3 complete. The boat's now at Banavie with a fine view of The Ben, I'm in London for three days and, with a bit of luck and reasonable weather, boat, car and myself should all be back home by the end of the weekend.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Final update

Postby DaveS » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:00 pm

Got back yesterday after the only really unpleasant weather of the trip: motoring to windward in F5/6 from Kerrera to Puilldobhraoin in lashing rain and poor vis. Passing Bach Island I was thinking of a boat whose engine stopped there in similar circumstances a few months ago...

The really good news was that after removing the old jacket which I'd left cuddled round the HT, the car started first go! :D No bad fur ra auld banger!
Last edited by DaveS on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:56 am

Couldn't hear Avilion but heard the coastguard advising you about hailing channels for Dunstaffnage - on Sunday I think?

DaveS
Yellow Admiral

Coastguard conversations

Postby DaveS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:59 am

Not guilty m'lud.

On Sunday I went from Pulldobhraoin to Craobh. Is someone impersonating Avilion? I supose their could be another Avilion, but it's hardly a common name.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Coastguard conversations

Postby Silkie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:20 pm

DaveS wrote:I supose their could be another Avilion, but it's hardly a common name.

Unlike Silkie of course.

It did seem a bit unlikely since I am fairly sure that you'd know how to call Dunstaffnage if needed. Nor could I imagine you calling the CG for the info even if you didn't have it to hand.

Return to “Passages and Places”