Camus Chil Mhalieu, Loch Linnhe (by Kilmalieu, Ardgour)

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Camus Chil Mhalieu, Loch Linnhe (by Kilmalieu, Ardgour)

Postby Telo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:57 pm

Not listed in the Clyde Crusing Club bible, but a pretty decent anchorage in settled conditions with reasonable shelter, and a sandy bottom with good holding. Very nice spot, "remote" feel about it - the single track road had only a handful of cars on it - probably more bicycles. The UKHO chart shows shows some very steep underwater contours, but it seemed smoother. We anchored in about 5m.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:26 pm

I was looking at this on the "other" forum. It looks great - did you ever park at Port Ramsay at the top end of Lismore? I enjoyed the pilotage getting in there but had a poor nights sleep because of the quarrying activities at Sanda.
Donald Beaton mentioned Airds Bay - we have stayed there overnight but it would be no place to be if a south/southwesterly blew up. Pretty little place and some pleasant walking. I was reading about the Appin Murder at the time so it was all quite atmospheric.
I finished Prebble's Glencoe once whilst camping near the Clachaig - never slept a wink!!
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Was thinking years ago . . .

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:49 pm

. . . of starting a BlueMoment guide to anchorages but was worried that all the good / remote ones might then fill up with useless feckwits.

What does the team think?
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Re: Was thinking years ago . . .

Postby Telo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:51 am

Nick wrote: was worried that all the good / remote ones might then fill up with useless feckwits.

What does the team think?
That's an interesting point, and I do have some sympathy for it - a bit like the old voluntary ban (now broken) on publishing new rock climbs in Scotland's north-west. In this particular case, Loch Linnhe, being on the trade route to/from the Caledonian Canal, is not in the remote category, but more in the "not noticed" group. I doubt whether the "occasional" anchorages, while aesthetically pleasing, would ever have the broad appeal of a place like say, Puilladobhrain, which has several "advantages";
    all-round shelter;
    proven good holding;
    greater sense of security;
    in the "recommended" list; and,
    easy access to a pub.

Many of the "occasional" anchorages listed in the Sailing Directions rarely have overnight visitors IMHO, and I suspect the "feckwits" will have other preferences. Reading the "other" forum, it does seem as though many sailors, even in such overcrowded areas as the south coast of England, regard access to marinas, harbours, moorings, and pubs, as being the most important factors.

The elimination of risk and the maximisation of comfort are legitimate enough objectives. But there is also the enjoyment of the risk in exploring for, and above all trying out, fresh anchorages.

In the context of publication, does Martin Lawrence, or the Clyde CC, diminish the excitement of exploring areas that are new to to the reader, if not the author? Don't think so, but would be interested in the views of other people.

In reality, there will be no "new" anchorages anyway; they'll all have been done before, and, in any case, they have already been "published", in the sense that UKHO has printed the charts, and skippers should have the ability to undertand and interpret the data.

But working off the ones listed in the Appendix, and checking the charts for unlisted possiblities, is great fun. But it won't take off - people will prefer the security and the pub access. These are unlikely to be the places for feckwittery IMHO.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:09 am

claymore wrote:Port Ramsay at the top end of Lismore? I enjoyed the pilotage getting in there but had a poor nights sleep because of the quarrying activities at Sanda.
The Glen Sanda noise may get worse. I don't know all the ins and outs, but I seem to recall that Yoeman's originally only had permission to dig out of the public view. They now seem to be taking away the whole of the top of the hill.

The noise can be a problem, but there's the light pollution as well, and is very noticeable from the Bernera Bay anchorages on Lismore (the south bay gives good shelter from the north, NW to East).

Mmm, agree, the Port Ramsay pilotage is good fun. Never stopped at Airds Bay, but it's a nice loking spot.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Anchorages

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:17 am

working off the ones listed in the Appendix, and checking the charts for unlisted possiblities, is great fun. But it won't take off - people will prefer the security and the pub access. These are unlikely to be the places for feckwittery IMHO

- In which case, I will immortalise such discoveries (with full credit given of course) in an occasional series on anchorages elsewhere on the website (all in due course, must fix the boat . . .)
- Nick 8)

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:45 am

Claymore, is your disrupted beauty sleep at Port Ramsay from the quarry's noise directly, in which case it must have been an unusually still night, or from their frequent workboats' wash?
We use Port Ramsay often, finding it always uncrowded and tranquil. To avoid the wash, and for better all-round shelter, we generally go in close behind the large island, Eilean Ramsay.

Regards,
Derek

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:24 pm

Flat still windless absolute glassy sea. Not the rolling or the breeze - Quarrying it was that gave me the troubled sleep
Regards
Claymore

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:26 pm

So... not wind then?

Donald

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:27 pm

Donald
The wind never gives me a troubled night - the same cannot be said, of course, for Dear Heart who is apparently often troubled by my wind. I only have her word for this.
Regards
Claymore

Return to “Passages and Places”