Loch Fyne

Tell us where you've been, trade information
firstmate
Midshipman

Loch Fyne

Postby firstmate » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:29 pm

We had a long weekend sailing out of Largs in April and enjoyed it so much are going back at the end of the month - this time out of Ardrossan. We are hoping to get to Lochgilphead for supper on the Sat night - but can find no information about any moorings there. Does anyone know if there are any or if anchoring is possible close to the town?
Any feedback appreciated. Jill

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Loch Fyne

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:34 am

Loch Gilp is shoal at its head - which is why there was never a steamer pier there. You can anchor three or four cables North of the harbour at Ardrishaig, but that's about as far N towards Lochgilphead as it's sensible to go.

Unless you have a compelling reason to go to Lochgilphead I would strongly recommend Tarbert instead. It has a magnificently sheltered harbour with a pontoon, and the Victoria is a favourite eatery and watering hole for yachties.

Tarbert now has a website at http://www.tarbertlochfyne.com/

- Nick 8)

firstmate
Midshipman

Loch Fyne

Postby firstmate » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:11 am

We have a few compelling reasons Nick. We've used Tarbert and the Victoria (excellent food) before and plan to use it on the return trip but don't really fancy it on a Saturday night (could be crowded). Also my partner has just been put on a very restrictive diet and there's a recommended vegetarian restaurant in Lochgilphead. We've had a tip off about possible hotel moorings not far away so I'm pursuing that at present. Thanks anyway. Jill

loch fyne

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:44 pm

if you do not intend to leave the boat unattended overnight the best place to moor might be the holding pontoon at ardrishaig ( at the sea lock of the crinan canal ). we spent a couple of nights tied up there in september.
a bus or taxi would be on to lochgilphead.

lbb

tarbert

Postby lbb » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:52 pm

btw the last post was mine.
can`t agree about the victoria in tarbert. no personal experience for simple reason it has been heavily slated on ybw forum and possibly on this one too and we have thus avoided it.
can vouch for anchor ( nb - not the anchorage ), bistro round corner from anchor, the columba ( 200 mtr past ferry pier) and the fish and chip shop !

Return to “Passages and Places”