BlueMoment Boltholes

Tell us where you've been, trade information

Should BlueMoment Boltholes exist and should it be public or available to forum members only?

It should be published on the main site and available to all
44%
Publiished on the main site but available to members only
50%
Left as forum threads only (although a server failure could mean they disappear)
6%

Total votes: 18

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

BlueMoment Boltholes

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:06 am

Should it exist and should it be public or available to forum members only?
Last edited by Nick on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Nick 8)

Pete Cooper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Micro Gem 550 Super Yacht

Bolt Holes

Postby Pete Cooper » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:41 pm

I think that the natural place for this information is under Marinas and Moorings - already there.
Incidentally there is a link that needs updating from the Scottish Moorings page to the forums.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:10 pm

I ticked option 2, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not really bothered either way.

There isn't many anchorages on the east coast anyway.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:51 pm

I've voted too, even though it is of academic interest to me at the moment.

I feel that it would be great to have all the info in one place, rather than hunting through forum threads. I agree that an extension to moorings, etc seems logical.

BTW - assuming that you're at home, and online, and your charts are on the boat when you read Shard's post. What do you use to have a look at the area which he's describing?

I've given up on Multimap - it is sooo slooow to load the map. Google Earth didn't help me on the recent thread.

I found it using the free map on Ordnance Survey Get-a-Map but it's a bit clunky if you don't know where you're looking, ie at a scale which you can read you need to do a lot of panning.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 am

BTW - assuming that you're at home, and online, and your charts are on the boat when you read Shard's post. What do you use to have a look at the area which he's describing?

I have an old copy of C-Map
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:56 am

ash wrote:IWhat do you use to have a look at the area which he's describing?

http://mappe.c-marina.com/partners/ucina/portsearch_main.asp?jInstalled=true#, alrhough in this case, the depths shown are incorrect.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Shard wrote:
ash wrote:IWhat do you use to have a look at the area which he's describing?

http://mappe.c-marina.com/partners/ucina/portsearch_main.asp?jInstalled=true#, alrhough in this case, the depths shown are incorrect.

Cheers Shard

Il mio capire del langauge italiano migliora sempre.

Seriously, Ta very much.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

To let on, or not...

Postby aquaplane » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:13 pm

I can see that the attraction of a Bolt Hole is its remoteness and so any publicity is too much.

On the other hand, the folk who are likely to be attracted to such places are more likely to be the sort I could get on with, so I would feel OK about letting them know.

Isn’t there a “Penguin Boltholesâ€Â

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Re: To let on, or not...

Postby Telo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:21 pm

Penguin Bolt Holes - an excellent summary imho.

I think your "kinship" point is well made. The marine motorists who belt along under power in perfectly good sailing conditions are unlikely to be attracted to the wilder areas - they're usually going flat out to grab a berth or a seat in a restaurant. I think these things are largely self-selecting, but would be content if they were to put into a "member-only" section, even if it is one of Nick's marketing ploys.... :roll:

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Eh?

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:40 pm

. . . would be content if they were to put into a "member-only" section, even if it is one of Nick's marketing ploys....

How is it a marketing ploy? From the point of view of getting people to come to the main site - which is the only bit that makes any money, through advertising and affiliate programs - general release is a better bet, and less work. Am I missing something?

(The .co.uk site with the forum and the Classifieds on has had 3,000 visits so far this month, the main site has had over 10,000 visits)

The voting is pretty close (but not very prolific considering the number of views the thread has had) and so I am currently minded to put it on the main site.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Re: Eh?

Postby Telo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Nick wrote: Am I missing something?

Yes. But I'm not going to tell you what it is until you stop being so bluidy touchy. 8)

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Postby Allegro » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:44 am

ash wrote:BTW - assuming that you're at home, and online, and your charts are on the boat when you read Shard's post. What do you use to have a look at the area which he's describing?

I've photographed my charts and added them as overlays to Google Earth, which works very well for panning around them, measuring distances etc. I do the same with bits of OS map to look at walks sometimes - particularly handy when showing someone the ups and downs of a hilly walk if they're not great at visualising it just from the contours.

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Allegro wrote:I've photographed my charts and added them as overlays to Google Earth, which works very well for panning around them, measuring distances etc.

This sounds like a level of technical competence which, errmmm, I couldn't even aspire to. Sounds like a BlueMoment masterclass coming on...
:)

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Google Earth overlays

Postby Allegro » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Its actually suprisingly simple to add pictures of charts to google earth. Save the photographed chart on the computer. Choose Add... Image overlay... in google earth. Browse... to your photo, which then appears on the earth image. You can drag the corners around to resize it until it matches what's underneath, then click on OK and you're done. Preferably charts with a bit of land in the corners to give you something to line them up against!

The Admiralty small craft portfolio for the west coast photographs quite well on a 4 megapixel camera. Bigger charts might need splitting up into smaller portions.

This is, of course, entirely theoretical as photographing charts, even for your own use, would, I believe, be a breach of copyright :wink:

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Return to “Passages and Places”