Brilliant sail to Loch Craignish

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Brilliant sail to Loch Craignish

Postby Nick » Sun May 25, 2008 10:15 pm

Sailed down to Loch Craignish today. Just scraped through the Dorus Mor half an hour after the tide changed with a knot or two against us, then beat up the loch to the top of the islands (heaving to for lunch on the way).

Drifted back down the Eastern passage between the islands and the shore then ran goosewinged back through the Dorus Mor before enjoying a sparkling close reach at 5-6 knots most of the way back to Balvicar.

Loads of people out enjoying themselves . . .

- Nick 8)

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Dorus Mor

Postby Allegro » Tue May 27, 2008 9:57 am

I'm sure you know it, but there's a useful eddy if you're late for the tide going south / east through the Dorus Mor. The flood curls back on itself along the north side, ie close to Craignish point. Its deep close to, so no worries from that point of view, and you come out of it by the very last line of rocks sticking south from Craignish point, giving you only a few yards against the strongest tide before it starts to slacken as you head up Loch Craignish. We've used it on a couple of occasions, though once I did wonder if even those last few yards were going to be too many!

Lovely pics, by the way. I'm not sure I've ever seen it so busy!

Cheers
Patrick
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

Return to “Passages and Places”