sailing

Tell us where you've been, trade information
garredfox
Master Mariner

sailing

Postby garredfox » Sat May 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Just had a great day circumnavigating Luing - good easterly. Only had to motor through Easdale Sound and Cuan due to headwinds.

Skipper got the tides just right!

Supper in the T&T with a pint or two.

Wonderful day.
the other half

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sun May 18, 2008 9:16 am

Which way round did you go and why through Easdale?
different colours made of tears

garredfox
Master Mariner

Postby garredfox » Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Went clockwise round Luing. We had a couple of friends with us so went round Easdale and through the sound for sightseeing purposes.
the other half

tom26
Able Seaman

a good weekend for us too

Postby tom26 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:20 pm

in the spirit of joining in..........

we have just had our first weekend trip on the boat since moving her west from the Clyde - we made it to Tobermory which was great (although lack of toilets and showers a let down, apparently they will be ready third week in June).

We goosewinged all the way to Tobermory on Saturday from Dunstaffnage, wind not so good today in that there was none however the scenery was stunning, it was warm and there was lots of wildlife. We had spent Friday night in Dunstaffnage - good marina but pub disappointing, am glad we had some beers on board with us!

Clyde was good but it felt so much better to be out on the west coast!

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Sun May 18, 2008 10:56 pm

They can't quite make up their minds what they want the Frog to be (or did you have a particular gripe?) but happy to hear you're enjoying the West anyway.

tom26
Able Seaman

the frog

Postby tom26 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:32 am

my only gripe really about the frog was that it shut at 11 on the Friday night because they were having a wedding the next day - we got in late so only went up at 1050 so did not bother

I did not think any pubs shut at that time but I am guessing they are focussing more on the restaurant than the pub

the rest of the marina was good though, friendly and great showers so will go back for sure

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Re: the frog

Postby Rowana » Mon May 19, 2008 5:51 pm

tom26 wrote:
the rest of the marina was good though, friendly and great showers so will go back for sure

Have the showers been done up since I was there last? That was 2005 (I think), when I was bringing Rowana back from the Clyde, and they were not the best feature of the place.

We did meet the Webmeister of this parish and his good lady in the Frog though, so not all was bad :party:
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

tom26
Able Seaman

Postby tom26 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm

showers are a year old apparently - no longer up by the frog but in the new (to me) marina building

others on here will know a lot more than I do about the place I am sure

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: the frog

Postby Silkie » Mon May 19, 2008 10:32 pm

The showers are undoubtedly the finest on the west coast at the moment although it remains to be seen what Tobermory hath wrought.

tom26 wrote:my only gripe really about the frog was that it shut at 11 on the Friday night

I've heard this before although it's not affected me yet. I'm sure it will be less of a problem as the season gets into full swing but a decent (full-price) marina should be prepared to pull pints to the extent of their licence even if it's only for one late-arriving crew.

Return to “Passages and Places”