LLCC2008 - Loch Lomond Couples Cruise 2008

Tell us where you've been, trade information
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

LLCC2008 - Loch Lomond Couples Cruise 2008

Postby ash » Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Obviously not on the same scale as the CC2008, but Joan and I went down to the bottom of the Loch for the first May holiday weekend with the hope that we would meet up with a fellow BM forumite.

We actually met two, and although the weather wasn't wonderful, we had a great time with a couple of evenings of interesting chat.

With hindsight, we left to return to our berth too early. We had to motor most of the way, but the wind filled in late in the afternoon and we would have been able to sail downwind all the way home in brilliant sunshine.

I'm sure that there will be another chapter to this story told next week, but in the meantime find a couple of photos to whet the appetite.

This shot was taken whilst the owner was ashore for a walk

I had to start the iron topsail to catch up for this shot

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Thu May 08, 2008 9:54 pm

When you said you visited the bottom of the loch, I had visions of your vessel being a yellow submarine - or simply sunken! But I presume you were referring to the southern end, nearest tae Glasgae and therefore the @rse end of the loch?

ash
Yellow Admiral

Re: Arse

Postby ash » Sat May 10, 2008 1:16 am

Arghiro wrote: the @rse end of the loch?
Do you mean Balloch?

Didn't go that far south.

Hoping to hear rave reports from your fellow countryman next week - he has certainly had glorious sunshine, and probably good winds too.

Ash :wink:

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Rave report!

Postby aquaplane » Mon May 12, 2008 12:15 am

Loch Lomond is a grand spot, but I suspect that you knew that already.

Balloch is the @rse end, but the islands are fantastic shelter and pretty.

Shortly after the second pic was taken we (Lady Stormrider and me) scuttled off to Luss to find a shop and I had to get a hat which got some serious use the rest of the week.

The winds up in the Highland bits were just like Windermere, all or nothing, and from everywhere which made things interesting. Ardlui marina has lovely showers/toilets.

At one point we were doing 5Kts off the golf course just with the jib, but tacking was a bitch. I need to try some different options for sailing in a "good" breeze.

I would like to see more wardens enforcing the speed limits where they are now, and making folk take home their crap off the islands. The noise of PWC's doesn't seem to fit the scenery, but they should have an area to play.

We had a right good week, it's a shame it's 2 weeks till the Clyde cruise.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Mon May 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Why all these lies to confuse poor galley slaves? I took home made soups together with beef and ale stews to keep the frostbite at bay. I ended up with milk going off and having to purchase something called salad.

It was blooming warm and sunny all week! I'm not pale and interesting anymore, but sun tanned and had to use my thermal vest as a tee-shirt.

Still - apart from the awful warm weather, many thanks to Ash and his lovelier other half for making two sassenachs very welcome and providing us with some much-needed correct local information.
Becoming a full-time sailor at the end of May

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Mon May 12, 2008 10:32 pm

You have got your internet working then Stormy?

Can I add my thanks to Mr and Mrs Ash too, most of the info went straight through, but enough stuck to be usefull. Whatever, we had a right good natter about boats and other stuff.

We had a good night out at Tarbert (after a BBQ) with a Shearings group on a coach tour, we could only find the one pub. As we had run out of fresh food we had to eat out at Ardlui and Rowardenen, no great hardship to be sure.

The lack of milk sent us back to Luss for breakfast while trying to decide if it was an Osprey that 2 Gulls were mobbing. We had a hectic day really. When the wind started we set off sailing to the East and had to take the sails down as we were over canvased. Balmaha was very unwelcoming with lots of "no parking" and "private mooring" signs so we decided to run to Balloch under Genoa at about 3 to 4 knots.

We had to go to the only decent shop, the Balloch CO-OP, to get food and Ice for the next 2 days, then went back to where we met Ash to hide and BBQ.
Last edited by aquaplane on Mon May 12, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Mon May 12, 2008 10:50 pm

The ants in the anthill have been persuaded to act like a semiconductor. I also find winding up ther motherboard for a minute helps.

Apart from the BBC Atlantic Weather chart this is the second site I have reloaded and bookmarked. Now that is some sort of endorsement!

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue May 13, 2008 10:12 am

Apart from the BBC Atlantic Weather chart this is the second site I have reloaded and bookmarked. Now that is some sort of endorsement!

Very flattered Lady S. Are they still using your fruit cake as a mud anchor?
- Nick 8)

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Tue May 13, 2008 7:38 pm

Oh!! How does a Galley Slave address an Admiral? (curtsies just in case)

Well - my Skipper has promised not to use my next creation as a mud anchor. It's likely to be a home-made rhubarb crumble.

I have to get back to work now - victuals, livestock and limes to order from tesco online for the Spring Bank Holiday TSA cruise.

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Tue May 13, 2008 8:49 pm

What you have to consider is that Galley Slave is an important but minor role.

When you chat with an Admiral you assume your Chief Medical Officer role, or First Mate role. When I think about it you only let me be Skipper and maybe Navigator, I'm going to have to think of some more jobs for me.

Cork Puller, vital that one, I feel more important already.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 pm

There's always the bar-be-que. Something a Master and Commander should always be able to navigate.

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Wed May 14, 2008 7:32 pm

lady stormrider, aquaplane

Glad to hear that you both enjoyed your week on the Loch.

One of the difficulties of sailing in Scotland is that you need a full range of clothing with you, from foulies through to shorts and tee shirts, often during the same day.

I've never investigated Balmaha from the water, though I enjoy the challange of sailing through the gap between Inchcailloch and the mainland.

I would have thought that Aquaplane lacked the mass to create the momentum needed to tack under jib only. You'd need to turn off the wind and spin through 270 degs, losing some ground but keeping up the speed which would compensate.

The improvement to the Ardlui toilet block is fairly recent, and took some time in the transformation. I assume that you were loaned an entry card as part of your overnight fee.

Hope that the weather is as good for your fortnight on the Clyde.

Looking forward to seeing you again on the Loch.

Ash

ash
Yellow Admiral

Fotos of Aquaplane

Postby ash » Wed May 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi

Don't know how well off you are for fotos under sail, but here is a link to some that I took, unfortunately memory card was full at a crucial point.

Aquaplane by Ash

Edit - Despite telling PB that I want 1 meg images, it's ripping them much further. Will try again.

Ash

aquaplane

Postby aquaplane » Wed May 14, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm sorry I can't reciprocate with the images, I don't have a memory stick for my new Video cam yet and so I can't capture stills from it. I do have some video but only at anchor.

I didn't mention before, a double header steam train went through Ardlui late evening while we were there (Tuesday). It was a bit dissapointing after all the tooting to get going to see a wacking great diesel loco pushing too.

The bottom did look a bit aproximate when we were sailing away from Balmaha, but with a lifting keel it's not a big problem. Having said that on Saturday we saw slash and heard a bang followed by loud voices carried across the water, we were about a mile away. A large rib had carried away a propeller on a rock between Inchcruin and Inchfad, the perch was still there but the isolated danger mark was missing. That'll teach them to ignore the channel markers and use warp drive in a restricted speed area.

Bob.

ash
Yellow Admiral

Boat in Bunker

Postby ash » Mon May 19, 2008 12:09 pm

aquaplane wrote: That'll teach them to ignore the channel markers and use warp drive in a restricted speed area.

Bob.

This guy got his come uppance too.

There was an unsubstantiated rumour that just before this incident a voice with a Yorkshire accent was heard to say "Piss Off - I'm under sail"

Ash Tongue in Cheek Emoticon

Return to “Passages and Places”