Baltics and ex Soviet states ...

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Sunrider25
Midshipman

Baltics and ex Soviet states ...

Postby Sunrider25 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:45 am

Many already know me from years - goes back to very first days of original IPC Forums, and from other forums - BYM / SBC etc.

Controversial ! but honest and always try to help.

That help is especially for any that think about Baltic's. In particular the Central part - covering Latvia's West coast. Development of various facilities is ongoing - with improving attraction to visting yachts.
I can also assist as you pass round the coast - up through the Estonian Islands or to Riga Bay's various harbours. Even to Tallinn and home of the 1980 Olympic Sailing.

Baltic's fantastic tide-free area. Careful choice of stops can mean near free mooring / stay.

The amount of info on the Web - yachtsmens accounts / blogs etc. are sadly often out of date or concentrate on the well-known locations - Riga etc. failing to get over the richness and experience of lesser known places.
Latvia is entering the yachting scene and I for one am determined to try and help it become a Jewel to be seen and enjoyed.

Don't have a boat ? Want to enjoy Baltic ? You could always PM me !
Baltic's - tide free, amazing cruising area.
Cruising Assoc. HLR - West Coast of Latvia ..... contact me if I can help with cruising the Central Baltic ...

Magna Carter
Master Mariner

Postby Magna Carter » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09 am

Hi Nigel,

Glad to see your still alive and kicking....
2nd in command, East Coast embassy, Scotland.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Greetings Nigel :D

How's life in your part of the world?

Business still booming? (Not too much of a BOOM though, I hope :lol:

Cheers
Jim
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 pm

1980 Tallinn Olympics - not an event the Brits flourished at if I remember. Something to do with Afghanistan wasn't it?

Don't suppose we'll take such a line with the Bejing Olympics and the Chinese record on human rights....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Sunrider25
Midshipman

Still alive !

Postby Sunrider25 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:37 pm

Biz is doing well, some hiccups with the increased sulphur reductions on fuels .. but otherwise fine.

Marine Surveys are up .... can't really complain.

Cruising Assoc. HLR - West Coast of Latvia ..... contact me if I can help with cruising the Central Baltic ...

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Baltic Cruising Tale

Postby Nick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi Nigel,

Have you read Bilbo's Baltic adventure on this site, Cruise Camping Sweden's Blue Coast?

And have you got any nice Baltic piccies to show us?
- Nick 8)

Sunrider25
Midshipman

Re: Baltic Cruising Tale

Postby Sunrider25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:39 am

Nick wrote:.
Hi Nigel,

Have you read Bilbo's Baltic adventure on this site, Cruise Camping Sweden's Blue Coast?

And have you got any nice Baltic piccies to show us?

Hadn't before - but just have now ... Interesting tale. Seems they caught all the rough that I didn't ! My first trip through the islands was sheer pleasure from moment we arrived till the sad departure.
Edgar my crew slept on deck each night, it was warm and peaceful. In fact we wished for a touch more wind to drive my heavy boat along.

Photo's .....

Preparing boat for departure fron Ventspils ....

we actually left at about 22:30 that night ... had wonderful sunset and sunriseto ..

have daytime arrival at Gotland ...

Me - cooking dinner before the off ... next leg through night again ...

so on our way from Farosund, Gotland to Stockholm Archipelago ...

Edgar my Latvian Crew watching the sunset ...

Doing well ... plotter keeping good track of us ...

Me - resting and enjoying sunrise ...

Archipelago approaches ...

We had been given excellent waypoints and route in to Harso to meet "Discovery" our guide and friends ....

... waether was absolutely gorgeous ... and a beer was called for ...

So arrival and moored at Harso private Boat Club ...

an evenings BBQ and well earned sleep after 36 hrs crossing ... breakfast next morning before setting off ...

... giving tow to "Discovery" in the light winds and need to get to next location quickly ...

Once into the wide Fjord ... we cast of "Discovery" and set sail ... Superanne - my old tub picking up and gliding along ....

this being "Discovery" ...

So we reached a Lunch spot ... Steak and Boiled Spuds ! ...

Well finally tied up to the trees ... and what a location ! If only I could paint - it was stunning ...

so a night spent in quiet and peaceful surroundings .... all boaters and visitors respecting the absolutely beautiful nature of the surroundings. No litter, all clean ......... even the children seemed to understand the peace and tranquility of the place ...

Then it was onward next day to another haven of peace ....

... with an added twist - navigating a channel that Superanne was only just able to do ...

opening out again into location to die for ....

Well it had to happen ... and sadly Sweden was introduced to that most powerful of people ... ME swimming !!

sadly the next day it was departure ...

and promises to return and make it an annual event - which this year will be repeated, but for longer and also friends crewing from UK .... a good party is expected !

On route back - the stop at Farosund, Gotland to clean up and eat ...

Edgar :

Me ....

One problem after all that wonderful cruise ... engine decided to stop and we had to get permission to enter commercial port under sail ...

...... tacking through the port ...

..... and finally a hand from friends to get us quickly to moorings ......

Reason for engine stopping .... having been using plenty of cleaner agent and ULSD - it is thought that all the hard crud that had been lieing in bottom of tank for years was lifted in the wave action and movement of boat over the Baltic Crossing. This then blocked all filters including the little final one in injection pump that you cannot get at without taking pump of ! Moral of that - Read and Take note of OWN advise to others about change of fuel !!

Please - I ask that the photos here not be copied without asking me first ... simple PM / e-mail why and no problem ...

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 pm

Great set of pics Nige.
Fantastic the way that little Mariner outboard is powering Super Anne and towing discovery too. :D :D

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:19 pm

is this now the lo ---- ngest post on the forum :?:

Sunrider25
Midshipman

Postby Sunrider25 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:34 pm

little boy blue wrote:is this now the lo ---- ngest post on the forum :?:

Sorry ... didn't realise you were being kept up late !! :wink:

Return to “Passages and Places”