Port Ellan

Tell us where you've been, trade information
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Port Ellan

Postby DaveS » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:36 pm

Just been there, and better than I'd been led to believe. There's a pub which does very good bottles of the local ales: I liked the Finlagan - but watch for the sediment - and there's another half dozen. There's a hotel which does OK meals, and an Indian which is shut on Tuesdays (guess which day we were there...) The pontoons are £12 a night including electric or the (free) 12 HIDB buoys are still in place. I'd go back.

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:57 pm

not a great beer man but i thought the pub was great for studying the local fauna. having sampled the indian can advise it was ok.

:lol: imho one of the better things about pt ellen was the bus to bowmore, bruicladdich or ardbeg.

had a nice lunch in the lochside hotel, bowmore.
when we were in islay earlier in the year we moored on one of the 3 visitors buoys at ardbeg distillery. the old kilnhouse restuarant was superb for lunch and packed solid. well worth a visit next year.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Islay

Postby DaveS » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks for that. On a future, more leisurely, visit I intend to visit one (or, preferably more) of the distilleries - it was frustrating to have to sail by them, but we'd lost almost three days due to the bad weather at the beginning of the week. (Tuesday's sail let us catch up a bit: 50 miles logged from Craobh to Pt. Ellan in under 8 hours. Mostly a screaming run in F6/7 under a well-reefed genoa only.)

Funnily enough we did take the bus to Bowmore - via the airport (post bus) - but didn't stay there long enough to eat.

little boy blue
Old Salt

islay distilleries

Postby little boy blue » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:24 pm

as mentioned above there are 3 visitors moorings just off ardbeg.
there are 2 visitors moorings in lagavulin bay but one of them appeared to have been permanently taken by a green wooden yacht ( called - caol isla ) this summer.
i had hoped to sail into loch indaal and visit bruicladdich from the boat but decided it was a bit exposed for the weather conditions so ended up arriving by bus.
i don`t know if you noticed but there are pontoons and a wee breakwater in bowmore harbour now. not sure about the depth tho. none of the boats there were of any great size.
it might be possible to moor at any state of the tide on the oil tanker terminal at bruicladdich as it is currently unused i understand after the owners made a mess of refurbishing it.

Return to “Passages and Places”