New hazard in Oban Bay

Tell us where you've been, trade information
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

New hazard in Oban Bay

Postby cpedw » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:50 am

Flying boats! Not a whisper of announcement on Ch 16 like the Calmacs offer, just a whoosh then sploosh it's on the water and Colregs apply I presume. It's just that with their vast kinetic energy and the added mincer on the front, I don't think I would insist on my rights, assuming I saw it in time to take avoiding action.
Derek.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:44 pm

No pics Derek?
different colours made of tears

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 pm

Here's a small sample to whet your appetite ... (short pause while I find out about Photobucket) ... landing:
Image then taking off again a while later, little perturbed by the largish fish farm service vessel:

You can see Friday wasn't a great day for sunshine.

P.S. how do I trim these pictures to fit comfortably on the screen ? Should I do it before loading to Photobucket?

Derek.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Resizing pix

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:27 pm

P.S. how do I trim these pictures to fit comfortably on the screen ? Should I do it before loading to Photobucket?

Yes.

Ideally resize them to 700px wide.

Nice pix.
- Nick 8)

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Nice pics - shame about the weather

Postby Silkie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Click on (options) immediately above Photobucket's Browse buttons and you can choose to have your pics re-sized on upload
to various formats including "message board (640 x 480)" which doesn't stretch the page on most forums.

PS - that's a sea plane not a flying boat. :)

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: SeaPlanes

Postby ash » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:26 am

I think that this is The Culprit

This is his first one which he keeps on and flies off Loch Lomond.

I believe that he would turn to marine VHF frequencies once he has touched down, though I've never tried to speak to him.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:55 am

I saw him (from the train home) the other day taxi-ing on the Clyde at the SECC. About 500 metres in front of him was a RIB which was obviously checking his take-off path for flotsam.

Does the same happen in Oban, I wonder?

Donald

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:13 am

I didn't notice any accompanying boat. Thinking about the details, he flew across the bay at perhaps 300 ft (inaccurate estimate) before landing. Before taking off, the seaplane taxied downwind pretty much along the line it took off by.

Derek

P.S. I resized the pictures in Photobucket. Now (at work -don't tell) I can't see my pictures but Ash's photo shows up. Can others see my pictures OK? Any suggestions why I can't?

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Postby stevepick » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 am

Derek

Your pics are fine. Thanks for the warning about boats - flying or otherwise. Its not like I have enough to look out for whenever I sail up the SOK! Still it looks impresive, and might be good for crew transfers!
I think if you hit CTRL and the "reload" button on your browser that might fix your problem?

Steve

Aja
Old Salt

Missing Pics....

Postby Aja » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:30 am

Does your company stop access to certain sites. I'm not allowed ebay, photobucket, facethingy, friendsreunited and others.... right enough why would I want to......

It will mean that you dont see photos hosted by photobucket. I have to wait till I get home before I can answer any "Where is Its?" - usually somebody has got it right by that time....

Donald

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:08 pm

Probably just a browser issue that will go away if you force it to reload the page like wot Steve said. Certainly the resized pix look fine to me.

cpedw
Old Salt

It's a mystery

Postby cpedw » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:30 am

I still can't see my own pictures in this thread at work, but I can see them if I use their url directly, I can see Ash's picture which is also on Photobucket and the whole thing works OK from home. Still, I know what they look like so it's just a vanity thing.

Derek

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:52 pm

Are you getting the little red cross in a white square?

You could try right click and select view picture or right click select properties then copy and paste the url into your browser and then use the back button to come back to the thread - that sometimes works for me.

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:29 am

No, just the text with a couple of wee gaps. Strange, I just tried copy/paste my post to Word. That has started a line at the bottom of this IE window "Downloading picture ..." and the name of one of my photos. It seems to have hung somewhere though.
Derek

foolsbrew
Able Seaman

You want seaplanes?

Postby foolsbrew » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:19 am

There's an air charter service here that flies out of a bay in our ship canal between Puget Sound and Lake Washington, basically right next to downtown Seattle. They are actually quite good pilots, but the "runway" is much more urban than Oban, and has kayak, power boat, sailboat and pedal boat traffic. You ain't lived till you've seen a De Havilland Beaver coming at you in a kayak. Man I paddled fast.

I had no idea there was seaplane service from Glasgow to Oban. For what 7 of us paid for a van, we probably could have puddle jumped. We love the darned things in the NW...from here to Fairbanks they are about the most versatile transportation.

Excellent pics!!
"Where would the poetry of the sea be were it not for the wild waves?" Joshua Slocum

Return to “Passages and Places”