Round the Mull of Kintyre, advice?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
User avatar
Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia
Location: ayrshire
Contact:

Round the Mull of Kintyre, advice?

Postby Booby Trapper » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Planning on a trip to meet friends at Loch Sween early next week. So will be going East to west from the Clyde. I read several posts on PBO forum with conflicting advice. some say stay as close to shore as you dare others say stay 2 miles offshore. Does this depend on tide direction or wind? Any advice or personal experience greatly received.
Ian

User avatar
Aja
Old Salt
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:08 pm
Boat Type: Moody 346
Location: Kames
Contact:

Depends

Postby Aja » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:36 am

We've been round quite a few times, and have always gone the 'inshore' route.

Weather has always been suitable though, and I can see that if it looked even a bit dodgy we would have no hesitation in going out as far as necessary to miss the worse of the nasties.

It wont be horrible all the way round - only in patches which are marked pretty well on the chart - and only in adverse conditions. Most of the time going round is a breeze - to be enjoyed.

In all the times we;ve had problems was coming back to the Clyde.

Donald

User avatar
DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Posts: 1252
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:10 am
Boat Type: Seastream 34
Location: Me: Falkirk, Boat: Craobh
Contact:

Kintyre

Postby DaveS » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:49 pm

I went round for the first time last month. A NW4-5 was forecast (and delivered) both ways. I followed ML's "2 miles off" suggestion, i.e. almost but not quite into TSS, and was fine. OTOH I also went through the Sound of Sanda, which he is uncomplimentary about, and anchored at Sanda. This was uncomfortable but bearable in NW5. In better conditions, e.g. a S wind, definitely a good stopover with an excellent pub.

User avatar
Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia
Location: ayrshire
Contact:

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks Dave/Donald
I was planning to leave Sat afternoon and spend the night at Sanda however forecast for Sat now showing NW but dropping of Sat night so may well head for Cambelltown. I'll keep my options open and my fingers crossed.

User avatar
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Posts: 5596
Joined: Sun May 12, 2002 4:11 pm
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27
Location: Oban. Scotland
Contact:

Is this the best plan?

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:35 pm

I'll keep my options open and my fingers crossed.


More logical surely to keep your options crossed and your fingers open . . .

Image
- Nick 8)

Image

User avatar
Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:48 pm
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia
Location: ayrshire
Contact:

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:35 pm

I'm back
Left Ardrossan Sat afternoon, had intended to spend Sat night at Sanda but due to the wind being from the NW decided to head for Cambeltown and make an early start to catch the tide at the Mull. Sailed about 8 miles then the wind dropped so motored through Sanda sound. All went smoothly, took the "inside passage" and stayed about 50m from the shore good S.O.G down the sound and round the mull. Right at the mull there were some very big waves that almost reduced boat speed to a stop but to still see 5 knots on the GPS was an odd feeling.
After that it was easy. Motored all the way to Gigha as there was still no wind but very hot in the sunshine. Had a few Estonian beers (think the barman was on commission) in the café at the landing point. The wind picked up from the south about 5pm so decided to head for Jura and spend the night there.
Had a great night, ended up playing guitar with an accordion player and all the remnants from a wedding the night before. Had a fantastic sail the next morning across to Loch Sween, wind from the south gusting to 25 knots. Left Loch Sween 6pm on Wed. Wind from NW and sailed all the way to Gigha with the spinnaker up. Spent the night there. Thurs morn 7.30 am left Gigha. Thankfully the inshore waters forecast was complete crap ( south East 3/4 occasionally 5 then veering SW 3/4 occasionally 5) in reality it was calm until 1pm then picked up to about 20knots from the North by which point I had arrived at the mull too early for the tide. No point in waiting and as the wind was in a perfect direction, took the inside passage again and fought against the tide until reaching Sanda by this time the wind had backed to NW. The S.O.G was terrible but the sailing was some of the best I have had, with one reef in the main and a shortened foreasail the log hit 9.7 knots at one time!. I though at one point just before the mull lighthouse that I had got my tide calculations wrong as I was getting quite a push from the tide but it didn't last long just a bit of adverse tide close in I think. Wind stayed NW all the way to Ardrossan and I arrived 2200hrs.
Thank goodness they get it wrong from time to time!

If I was doing it again I would wait a bit longer and time my run to the mull better on the way back, if the wind hadn't picked up when it did I would have had a reel struggle getting round the corner.


Return to “Passages and Places”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests