Hail the Tobermory Harbour Association

Tell us where you've been, trade information
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Hail the Tobermory Harbour Association

Postby cpedw » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:13 pm

After an unexpected encounter with Silkie in Oban on Saturday morning, we took the tide north to Tobermory. It was a rapid passage under varying amounts of genoa in a southeast wind that fluctuated from F3 to F6. We arrived in Tobermory Bay as it peaked at force 7 in torrential rain so we quite fancied the convenience of a mooring. The only one available was by the black Mishnish. We headed over to it. As we got close, I took the boathook to the foredeck.
Meanwhile, with the depth reducing rapidly the wind blew us towards the shore. Jane at the wheel saw all this. There was not enough depth so, taking her eye off the mooring, she put us into reverse hoping for deeper water. Unfortunately, the pickup buoy got tangled with the rudder. What numpties we felt! As we got a rope between the boat and the buoy, who should emerge out of the gloom but the Tobermory Harbour Association rent collector in his RIB. Relief was palpable as without sniggering or recrimination, he set about getting us disentangled from our embarrassment.
It wasn't that easy as the pickup buoy was jammed in the gap in front of the rudder. But when the rope was unsnagged, a firm well-directed tug got us clear. Our hero's work was not over; he confirmed that the depth at that mooring was insufficient but he found us an unused private mooring of a suitable size and declined to take any fee.
With service like that, the usual mooring fee is a bargain.

Regards,
Derek

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Uneasy

Postby Aja » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:17 am

I've only managed to pick up one of the moorings in front of the Mishnish once and can fully understand your predicament.

At low tide there's not much water there and we sat one calm peaceful evening - but were aware that there was only a couple of metres spare. If the wind had swung and picked up so we were on a lee shore things could have got interesting.

I believe the one next to the fisherman pier is worse.

Donald

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:08 am

He is definitely one of the good guys. As a small boat sailor himself he has a tendency to round down my size if I go alongside the pontoons. I've been on that same mooring myself and there seems to be enough water for Silkie, drawing just over a metre.

I suppose it could have been worse Derek, you missed the prop. :thumbsup:

Not sure I'm all that happy with the implication in your first sentence though.
After an unexpected encounter with Silkie in Oban on Saturday morning, we took the tide north to Tobermory.
different colours made of tears

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Not meaning to imply a consequential action, just setting the scene (advised in my "Teach yourself story-telling" book).

Derek

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:22 pm

Hah! Nice wriggle but I'm afraid it is clearly a Freudian slip.
different colours made of tears

Return to “Passages and Places”