New to Forums

Tell us where you've been, trade information
David I
Midshipman

New to Forums

Postby David I » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:01 pm

Just a quick "Hello", as a new member--will be posting some questions in the near future.

In the meantime does any know of any steel yachts for sail--38-45 feet, for a lengthy cruise in about 3 years.

Have been conected with water and boats for 40 years. Sailed most of the UK and have visited the eastern Med and the Atlantic Islands.

Favourite place---Porto Santo, which is a small island near to Madeira.

Regards

David
David

Not another lurker!

Postby Not another lurker! » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Hi David

'Fraid I cannot help you re steel boats, but you might want to have a look at the Cruising Association magazine or website, which I think is www.cruising.org.uk. The boats generally seem to be of a high seakeeping standard, and well looked after.

Regards

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Hi David

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:49 pm

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum.

What facilities are there for yachts (anchorages, marina etc) at Porto Santo? We are heading South next year, and would like to go back to Madeira (only been by plane so far, but loved it).

- Nick 8)

David I
Midshipman

Re: Porto Santo

Postby David I » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:13 am

Hi

Sorry about the delay in replying to your post--We've been upto Scotland for a couple of days to look at a few boats--sunny, cloudy, rain and snow--typical weather for Scotland!!!.

Porto Santo, the last time I was there only had basic facilities. We were on a 41' Oceanlord and were too large to fit on the pontoons, therefore had to anchor in the small harbour. The local bar (The Wild Duck) was very handy but sometimes played loud music into the early hours. There was no marina office but temp huts for the army/customs/police etc. The harbour wall is worth looking at--similar to the Azores where visiting yachts leave their names etc painted on the concrete-(ours was called LACONDORE). The main disadvantage is the long walk into the town and depending on the time of year can be extremly hot and tiring. The beach is great, infact I think one pilot book described it as the best outside the caribbean--and there was no one using it!

Hope this is of use to you.

Regards

David :)
David

Return to “Passages and Places”