Season off to a good start, mostly

Tell us where you've been, trade information
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Season off to a good start, mostly

Postby cpedw » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:03 pm

On Thursday late evening, we climbed aboard Blue Shift, afloat at last. Much of Friday was spent getting sails on, avoiding trying to start the engine, connecting up wires, avoiding trying to start the engine, checking the contents of the drinks locker, avoiding trying to start the engine and so on. The engine did start 3rd time, so all that apprehension was misplaced.
After a comprehensive mini cruise out of Dunstaffnage to Oban Bay, on to Puilldhobran all in brilliant sunshine, it was time to turn to our summer mooring in Loch Creran. Imagine our consternation after turning the sharp right hander at the mouth of the loch to see a girt big sign saying "No anchoring in Loch Creran except in Designated Anchorages" or something similar. There is a supplementary notice saying where the designated anchorages are, but with 3 knots of tide up our jaxi, we didn't get a chance to read the small print.
Apparently, the exotic marine life that's been discovered in the loch doesn't benefit from having anchors dropped on it so it's being preserved. Locals tell me it's all daft as no-one ever used to anchor where the reefs are anyway.
The notice is right beside the green light on the edge of Eriska Island. It gets its feet wet twice daily and the posts holding it up are starting to look decidedly rusty. They look just like the sort of posts that support road signs, unlike the sturdy Northern Lights structure holding the green light, which shows no sign of corrosion after several years in the same place. I hope the notice doesn't squash any exceptional animal life when it falls over.

Regards,
Derek.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Anchoring in Loch Creran

Postby DaveS » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:33 pm

That's a bit cheeky! It seems to me that the proper default position should be "anchor wherever safe and suitable, apart from designated fairways, "no anchoring" areas" etc. - all of which should of course be charted: relying on a sign alone is daft. Any acceptance of the idea that "prohibition" is or should become the norm could lead to all sorts of problems.

I've just spent several hours downloading all the chart corrections for the last 6 months, and don't recall seeing anything about the establishment of "no anchoring" areas in Loch Creran. Then again, an awful lot of new chart editions have just been published, so that's not a guarantee. Anyone with the latest edition of either the base chart or the new 2nd edition of the Leisure Folio care to comment?

Did the sign state on whose authority the ban was being imposed, or was it merely a "polite" notice with no legal status?

It might be worth contacting WHAM to see if they know anything about this. I have their contact details somewhere, but can't find them...

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 pm

WHAM

Found this on their site undated:

"A&B Council have just issued a press release on Marine SAC's in Loch Creran and the Firth of Lorn. They are the outcome of lengthy discussion in the Marine SAC Management Forum.

Signage is in place at the entrance to L Creran drawing attention to preferred anchorage areas to avoid damage to the serpulid reefs. These actions have the support of all users including the fishermen.

The rocky reef habitats in the Firth of Lorn are also to be designated as SACs and research undertaken to establish the effect of scallop dredging. For the duration of this study, with the agreement of the fishermen, the SAC will be closed to scallop dredging.

Up dates are to appear in Martin Lawrence and CCC Sailing Directions in due course."

Good to see that they are opposing any more moorings in Easdale Sound.
different colours made of tears

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Authority...

Postby cpedw » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:25 am

There was a plethora of logos across the bottom of the sign but it wasn't clear who was prohibiting. Your research suggests it's a request to avoid certain spots but that wasn't my impression from a quick read of the sign. Talking to locals at Barcaldine, this was a move by SNH.

Derek.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Loch Creran

Postby DaveS » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:59 pm

I found this on the SNH website:

Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) are areas designated under the European Directive commonly known as the ‘Habitats’ Directive. Together with Special Protection Areas, which are designated under the Wild Birds Directive for wild birds and their habitats, SACs form the Natura 2000 network of sites.

SNH’s Role in SACs
SNH acts as the advisor to Government in proposing selected sites for Ministerial approval as possible SACs. SNH then consults with key parties over the site proposals on behalf of Scottish Ministers. The consultees, who include owners and occupiers of land, local authorities and other interested parties, are sent details of the proposed site boundaries and the habitats and/or species for which they qualify. SNH also negotiates the longer term management of these sites. Following consultation, SNH forwards all responses to Scottish Ministers who then make a decision about whether to submit the site to the European Commission as a candidate SAC. Once submission of all candidate sites is completed, the Commission, together with Member States, considers the site series across Europe as a whole. At this stage sites which are adopted by the Commission become Sites of Community Importance (SCIs), after which they can be finally designated as Special Areas of Conservation by national governments.

All candidate SACs in Scotland were approved by the European Commission as SCIs on 7 December 2004. Scottish Ministers then formally designated all these sites as Special Areas of Conservation on 17 March 2005.

This takes us a little further forward, but not much. I couldn't find any information on any particular SAC, just generalities. The EU website gives general information about Natura 2000 but refers back to member states for details.

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Loch Creran

Postby stevepick » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi

Thought I would chip in here - I saw this too, its mentioned in the new pilots (CCC I think) and also I think on the new leisure folios ( I need to check these edit - nope I remembered wrong) The details are at http://www.clyde.org/www2/dir_Kintyre.pdf page 3 of the pilot updates. Its not quite so limiting as it sounds and the reefs sound like they are unusually rare.
The reason I got the all this new stuff is that I got my first boat last october and I had to go out and spend lots onf money on charts and books, still at least there is some benefit!

Regards

Steve

Return to “Passages and Places”